• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds
  • 214 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 11:27 PM

http://news.ca.msn.c...mentid=25674768

http://www.theglobea...article1717453/

"Elsewhere in the report the RCMP puts the annual net cost of the Canadian Firearms Program for 2010-11 at $66.4-million" Thats a lot of money? Makes you wonder if it could be better spent? I am all for a restricted firearms registry (hand guns) but I am not yet sold on the long gun registry (after 15 years)
Thoughts?

#2 kenjh

kenjh
  • 310 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 02:49 AM

it was and is a waste we had gun control before, and law abiding owners are the one's suffering ,and treated worse then crimninals.one more push that destroy's faith or trust in law and goverment.

#3 bicycles

bicycles
  • 172 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 11:56 AM

i'm just not really sure why any other then law enforcement needs a gun...

#4 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 12:09 PM

i'm just not really sure why any other then law enforcement needs a gun...

Hunters, farmers. The Jews in the Warsaw ghetto would have found guns very useful in saving their lives, or at least in killing some Nazis on their way down... Sure would have been good if a few licensed, trained firearm owners were present when Mark Lepine killed a whack of females in Montreal...

Yet the defining image of contemporary Canadian maleness is not M Lepine/Gharbi but the professors and the men in that classroom, who, ordered to leave by the lone gunman, meekly did so, and abandoned their female classmates to their fate -- an act of abdication that would have been unthinkable in almost any other culture throughout human history. The "men" stood outside in the corridor and, even as they heard the first shots, they did nothing. And, when it was over and Gharbi walked out of the room and past them, they still did nothing. Whatever its other defects, Canadian manhood does not suffer from an excess of testosterone.

http://www.macleans....9_118922_118922

Maybe if just one of those three dozen passengers on that Greyhound bus had a gun, that guy might not have been beheaded...

I would be very happy to have a trained, licensed firearm holder near me all the time... I know lots of cops in this town, and believe you me, I would rather have my university prof armed than some of the guys I know on VPD.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#5 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 17 October 2010 - 12:50 PM

I know lots of cops in this town, and believe you me, I would rather have my university prof armed than some of the guys I know on VPD.

Why do you say that?

I used to be pro gun control, but then I came to my senses. I would very much like it if we had ccw here.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#6 bicycles

bicycles
  • 172 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 12:51 PM

Hunting is outdated and unnecessary, farmers definitely don't need them (I spent 18 years of my life on a farm), and so you're saying guns may have stopped, what, 10 deaths (not including the holocaust, which is a ridiculous example)? How many people die in Canada from gun-related deaths in a year?

#7 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,146 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 01:58 PM

I am a registered firearm owner. I have to notify the gun registry when I change my address. I am OK with the police knowing that I have it. What annoys me is that the bad guys do not bother to register.

#8 dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds
  • 214 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 03:17 PM

Hunting is outdated and unnecessary, farmers definitely don't need them ?

I think if you got outside the lower mainland a vast majority of the population would disagree with this statement.

I too am a registered firearms owner, I just think that it is a cash grab on law abiding citizens, I don't see how it affects the guns that get in criminals hands. These weapons are stolen and criminals don't register them? I am in favour of registered handguns (prohibited and restricted firearms) but I think the money used on the long gun registry (mostly rifles and shotguns for hunting and farming) could be better spent to help the authorities.

#9 victorian fan

victorian fan
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 03:25 PM

The police call the registry a valuable resource when they respond to a call.

#10 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 17 October 2010 - 03:28 PM

I'm trying to figure out how the gun registry costs so many millions of dollars.

For a few grand, I could purchase the hardware, software and services to get a fully functional gun registration system running that gun shops, law enforcement and citizens could access from any internet enabled computer.

There, I just saved the governmen 66 million dollars. Can I have a million?

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#11 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 17 October 2010 - 03:29 PM

What annoys me is that the bad guys do not bother to register.

Ya know, if they only took the second to tick off the little box next to "I am a bad guy" on the registration form, it'd be all better.

#12 dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds
  • 214 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 04:10 PM

Ya know, if they only took the second to tick off the little box next to "I am a bad guy" on the registration form, it'd be all better.

Believe it or not there is a section that covers this on the registration! Just worded a bit differently lol

#13 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,146 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 04:12 PM

I'm trying to figure out how the gun registry costs so many millions of dollars.

For a few grand, I could purchase the hardware, software and services to get a fully functional gun registration system running that gun shops, law enforcement and citizens could access from any internet enabled computer.

There, I just saved the governmen 66 million dollars. Can I have a million?

Seb, if the costs per year pisses you off, think about the original start up overrun. This fiasco was worse than the retrofit of the Bonaventure, where a toilet seat cost $500.

#14 bicycles

bicycles
  • 172 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 04:34 PM

I think if you got outside the lower mainland a vast majority of the population would disagree with this statement.

I too am a registered firearms owner, I just think that it is a cash grab on law abiding citizens, I don't see how it affects the guns that get in criminals hands. These weapons are stolen and criminals don't register them? I am in favour of registered handguns (prohibited and restricted firearms) but I think the money used on the long gun registry (mostly rifles and shotguns for hunting and farming) could be better spent to help the authorities.

that doesn't mean the majority is right. I think that guns should be abolished (aside from law enforcement) and everyone who is in possession should be assumed that they're going to be use it for murder and be charged. People can still hunt (bows, etc) and let people who know what they're doing protect. Of course, I think this should mean there is a lot stricter rules and discplinary for the police, but I think a few more people might sign up if they have a reduced threat of being shot.

#15 dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds
  • 214 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 05:09 PM

that doesn't mean the majority is right. I think that guns should be abolished (aside from law enforcement) and everyone who is in possession should be assumed that they're going to be use it for murder and be charged. People can still hunt (bows, etc) and let people who know what they're doing protect. but I think a few more people might sign up if they have a reduced threat of being shot.

Should the military use bows and arrows or could they use slingshots too?

That is one of the most interesting statements I have ever had to disagree with?

#16 bicycles

bicycles
  • 172 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 05:31 PM

military/law enforcement. If thats your only arguement, you're not doing very well.

#17 dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds
  • 214 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 06:45 PM

everyone who is in possession should be assumed that they're going to be use it for murder and be charged. but I think a few more people might sign up if they have a reduced threat of being shot.

Charged with what? In what police state is this? What will people sign up for? How will taking rifles away from law abiding owners protect you from criminals with guns? Or will they turn in theirs too?

I could argue all day about why people should or should not be allowed to carry or own a gun but my main question was if the registry is a good vaue for what we get? Is it worth the expense when it doees not help prevent criminals from getting and using firearms in crimes.

#18 davek

davek
  • 670 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 06:47 PM

Advocates of firearms regulation or prohibition who are interested in saving time can go http://stason.org/TU...ian/index.html'>here to find out why their arguments are wrong.

Those of you who already have the good sense to be respectful of the natural right of law-abiding citizens to do as they see fit so long as they don't violate the rights of others can go to the same place to enjoy the sweet sensation of having been right all along.

#19 bicycles

bicycles
  • 172 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 10:29 PM

I don't expect criminals to turn in their guns, I have a problem with them ever being manufactured in the first place. I think an all out ban from them entering the country, being sold in the country, would help go a long way to stopping gun violence. Obviously, it's not going to be completely fullproof but I don't see any reason why someone who has a sudden urge to kill some people can go out to the store and buy a gun. Sure, there are people who use the law as it should be, but there are also those who abuse it. It's not worth it to me.

#20 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 17 October 2010 - 10:42 PM

I don't expect criminals to turn in their guns, I have a problem with them ever being manufactured in the first place. I think an all out ban from them entering the country, being sold in the country, would help go a long way to stopping gun violence. Obviously, it's not going to be completely fullproof but I don't see any reason why someone who has a sudden urge to kill some people can go out to the store and buy a gun. Sure, there are people who use the law as it should be, but there are also those who abuse it. It's not worth it to me.

The crooks will always have guns. Banning them from entering the country? Smuggling. If the criminals can have guns to rob me, why can't I have one to defend myself and my family?

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users