• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#41 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 20 October 2010 - 10:22 AM

You heard it here folks. If you support gun registries you support slavery and the wholesale slaughter of gays, women, and minorities.

I have to correct you here because davek has actually worded this quite well.

He hasn't said that if you support gun control you support the killing of gays, etc... What he has said is if you support gun control, you support the the same belief system that would turn such minorities into criminals for simply carrying to protect themselves.

You are begging the question by asserting government curtailment of individual rights is for the good of society as a whole. It the the defence of individual rights that benefits society as a whole.

So for those who are keeping score, the regulation and prohibition advocates here have so far endorsed the government curtailment of human rights, slavery by way of conscription, prosecuting gun owners for conspiracy to commit murder, and the criminalization of gays, women, and minorities who would arm themselves for self-defense. They have done so while ignoring the evidence I have provided that respecting the right of self-defense through the use of firearms is not only morally correct, but also has positive utilitarian outcomes. Stay tuned.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#42 davek

davek
  • 670 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 07:16 AM

While waiting for the anti-gun hysterics to explain how the good of society as a whole is enhanced by depriving women of their right to defend themselves from rape by some means other than their bare hands, please enjoy http://www.cbc.ca/ca...ershooter.html'>this story of a Port Alberni jeweller defending his business and his life with his firearm.

#43 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 08:36 AM

^ Yet, Vancouver's rate of rape is 21.4/100,000 whereas Seattle's is 22.1/100,000. I guess gun control is too restrictive in the states to slow down the incidence of rape.

Sure there is a cost/benefit analysis. Yes you can claim all these people are going to defend themselves, and you can even try to claim that it would be effective. But for each time someone defends themselves with a gun, two other people are going to do something harmful with one, either out of malice, stupidity, or drunkeness. That is the cost, and to me the idea that every yokel in town is packing heat is far more scary than the possibility I'll get cornered in an alley.

#44 davek

davek
  • 670 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 10:29 AM

^ Yet, Vancouver's rate of rape is 21.4/100,000 whereas Seattle's is 22.1/100,000. I guess gun control is too restrictive in the states to slow down the incidence of rape...

When you compare rape in Vancouver to that in Seattle, you must account for more than gun control laws. If you allow for race, unemployment, drug regulation, population density, etc., the evidence I have provided shows the differences would not favour strict gun control. So rather than comparing Seattle/Vancouver rape rates and gun control regulation, one should ask if Seattle and Vancouver would have lower rape rates if they had less restrictive gun control. The evidence suggests that they would.

...the idea that every yokel in town is packing heat is far more scary than the possibility I'll get cornered in an alley.

Arguments should be based on evidence, not fears. And fear is certainly no grounds for violating anyone's human rights, even if you dismiss them as yokels.

#45 goke

goke
  • 123 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 08:40 PM

Live next to an anti-gun type?
Just plant this in your front yard!

Of course Canada should have CCW laws, 38 states can't be wrong.

#46 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 22 October 2010 - 08:57 PM

Heck, the police themselves know how valuable guns can be when it comes to self-defence.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#47 goke

goke
  • 123 posts

Posted 23 October 2010 - 12:27 PM

Ha! I posted the wrong pic, but yes a chopper might deter crime. Here's what I meant to post:

Not sure why i can't edit my previous post...
  • sebberry likes this

#48 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 23 October 2010 - 12:49 PM

^ Awesome...
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#49 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,146 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 01:59 PM

Proposed new firearms regulations may be tabled in the fall.

http://news.gc.ca/we...n.do?nid=870079

#50 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,433 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 08:02 PM

Ha! I posted the wrong pic, but yes a chopper might deter crime. Here's what I meant to post:
NoGunsNextDoor.jpg

A sign like that wouldn't work in Canada. The burglar would be more likely to think there are goodies inside to steal rather than grand-dad waiting with a 12 gauge at the top of the stairs.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users