Photo

[Downtown Victoria] New England Hotel | Microloft rentals, commercial | Renovated in 2014

Rental Commercial

• Please log in to reply
128 replies to this topic

#41 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 06:12 PM

It's been a while since this thread has been updated, but I just wanted to point out that after what appeared to be a hiatus this project seems to be proceeding full steam ahead. Lots seems to be going on in the inside, but unfortunately very little is visible from the street.

#42 KAS

KAS
  • 140 posts
  • LocationVic West

Posted 04 September 2013 - 06:58 PM

They've also been busy putting an extra storey on the top. Framing is almost done.

#43 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 09:44 PM

I just wanted to point out that after what appeared to be a hiatus this project seems to be proceeding full steam ahead. Lots seems to be going on in the inside, but unfortunately very little is visible from the street.

There has been no hiatus at all.
Construction has been ongoing every day just not visible to people walking by.

The steel skeleton was fabricted and now the whole building is attched to this.
All of the windows and original sashes were removed and rebuilt by a craftsman from Ireland instead of trashing them and going new.
The basemnet wall where reinforced with new concrete. New supporting joists were installed and flooring rebuilt.
New plumbing and pipes throughout. New walls new stairs new walls.

Ill try and do a new video.

#44 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 02:33 PM

^ Cool, thanks for sharing HB!

#45 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 06:57 PM

Video is poor quality didnt havew lighting crew with me.

uexpcDEYqMo

#46 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 07:50 PM

neat!

you're like a ghost, walking through the walls

#47 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 08:15 PM

Are the windows boarded up? Seems lacking in natural light.

#48 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 10:02 PM

Fantastic, History Buff, thank you!

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#49 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 11:33 PM

Yu are very welcome
Here are some stills from inside.
The old mortar is basically powder. I light touch by ones fingers makes it fall away like dust. Back in teh day mortar was made with sand and lime.
In modern times it made with sand lime and cement which hardens much better and for much longer.

It all has to be removed and replaced by hand.

Here are some examples of window openings.

We have a before shot then a shot of a brick mason removing the loose stuff then the finished product ready for the windows.

Here is a new elevator shaft.

Interior Framing

Staircase to the new floor on the roof.

The new roof area

Roof top area steel frame on walls.

Window Scenes

2 new neighbours on the skyline

The large Tree in the shot is hidden to most people in town. It is very large and grown just outside the back patio of Ferris Oyster Bar probably the tallest tree in downtown core (deciduous tree that is)

Here is another of the tree from New England Site for those not interested in seeing the promontory during the spring and summer I suggest this unit as the tree will block it out.

Over the next couple days the entire building will be surrounded by scaffolding so the outside can be done.

#50 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 03:17 PM

#51 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 10:47 PM

Thanks for the amazing pictures.
So after the big one all the facades will fall down leaving us with naked skeleton buildings eh?
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#52 Gary H

Gary H
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 07:32 PM

The front is looking good, the sides, not so much.

11215677593_8d5f26af75_b.jpg

11215563075_648a6ecc86_b.jpg

#53 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 02:45 PM

Taken December 19th (although no much has changed to the exterior since Gary's photos). Looking forward to seeing the hoarding taken down.

New-England-Hotel-December-19-2013.jpg

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#54 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 08:03 PM

Coming along Nicely. the Apartments are very small but nice. Good views. teh new 5th floor added to the roof has a small access area for those apartments.

The under the sidewalk rooms are being filled in. Today the lids were lifted that used to access the basement. the under sidewalk area has been sealed off from rest of building and will be infilled and new sidewalk poured over what is currently a void area.

#55 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 08:37 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this project office and groundfloor commercial? Those are likely small kitchenettes and not residential kitchens.

And thanks for the tour :)

Know it all.

#56 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 09:01 PM

Well they come with bathtubs too so I suppose you can have a bath whilst at work

#57 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 09:28 PM

Straight up bathtubs or perhaps shower stalls?

Strange that this project would flip from office/commercial to include residential. What floors did you see the tubs on?

Know it all.

#58 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 09:38 PM

Regular horizontal bathtub that you lay in not sure what a straight up tub is

The New England
Victoria BC

Built in 1892 as a 40-room luxury hotel, the building is a unique hybrid of Victorian Romanesque architecture and Sullivanesque design. Now, 110 years after its construction, the building is being seismically upgraded, fully renovated, and thoroughly modernized while retaining all of its heritage charm and value.

Located on the west side of the 1300 block of Government Street, the New England Hotel is right in the heart of Victoria’s downtown core. The building is only one block from the Bay Centre, historic Bastion Square, and the Inner Harbour, as well as the harbour "oatplanes for convenient access to Seattle and Vancouver.

The heritage renovation features ± 1,756 square feet of prime Government Street retail, three office floors of approximately ± 2,650 square feet each, and a fifth floor office penthouse of ± 1,936 square feet.

Edited by History Buff, 08 January 2014 - 09:43 PM.

#59 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,404 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 09:44 PM

I really hate the use of HardiePlank® in an urban setting (photos 6 & 8 above). It looks OK in the 'burbs, but seems terribly out of place on this building. Could they not have used brick to face the inside of that roof top parapet wall?

• Baro likes this

#60 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 09:48 PM

I do not think any of that is visible other than to those on the penthouse floor

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users