Photo

0.05 alcohol limit for drivers -- how will it impact bars and restaurants?

• Please log in to reply
119 replies to this topic

#1 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 10:20 AM

Many bar and restaurant patrons who choose to drive have the odd one to two alcoholic beverages during their stay, but the new 0.05 blood/alcohol limit on drinking and driving could have an impact on liquor sales at bars and restaurants.

Has anyone in the bar/restaurant industry noticed any behavioural changes yet?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,113 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 06:52 PM

^ Mike, I hope you get a response from someone in the trade, as I am curious as well. In the mean time I will share this.

I was recently at an industry golf tournament that I have been attending for years. Last one of the season. What used to be quite the party after dinner while prizes were given out, now has changed.

I pointed out to the chap next to me that has also attended for years, that there was not one glass or bottle of alcohol on our table seated with 8 men. Nary a drop.

Our world is not the same as it once was.

#3 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,971 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 07:33 PM

I was at a social function last night and was asked by the bartender when I went to get my second drink if I was aware of the new liquor laws.

#4 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 29 September 2010 - 09:50 PM

I wonder how many collisions caused by alcohol were caused by a driver who blew between .05 and .08.

Probably not many. I realize that this law is intended to reduce the amount of people who drink themselves into the .08 + range, but are we really targeting the problematic drivers?

Why not simply tighten up the .08+ laws?

This and the other new driving laws are simply image boosters for the government.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#5 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,861 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 09:57 PM

Drinking and driving is pretty hard to justify, no matter the percentage.

As a father, husband, cyclist and driver I'd prefer to see 0.0 BAC enforced. There's just no reason to put people's lives on the line for a couple drinks that you really won't miss that much. If you do, then clearly there are bigger issues for you, but why would anyone add that risk?

Matt.

#6 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 29 September 2010 - 10:05 PM

Drinking and driving is pretty hard to justify, no matter the percentage.

As a father, husband, cyclist and driver I'd prefer to see 0.0 BAC enforced. There's just no reason to put people's lives on the line for a couple drinks that you really won't miss that much. If you do, then clearly there are bigger issues for you, but why would anyone add that risk?

Matt.

I'd prefer to see minimum speed limits, but we don't all live in a perfect world now, do we? ;)

That's why I want to know the stats on people with BACs between .05 and .08 causing collisions. I don't know the specifics, but I suspect that someone who is a little drowsy after a long day at work is just as likely to cause a collision.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#7 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 11:46 PM

This is merely a stepping stone before drivers cannot consume any alcohol. Zero tolerance is already law in many areas of the world.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#8 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 30 September 2010 - 06:49 AM

This is merely a stepping stone before drivers cannot consume any alcohol. Zero tolerance is already law in many areas of the world.

We're in great company :P

Zero tolerance, (It is illegal to have any alcohol in your blood while driving in these countries.)
Since there is always some amount of alcohol even in non-drinkers' bodies, they have to have some legal guidelines for determining what behavior is illegal. Often that guideline is something like impairment in driving to any degree that can be shown to be probably caused by recent alcohol consumption.

Romania
Russia
Saudi Arabia
Slovakia
United Arab Emirates
Brazil
Bangladesh
Czech Republic
Hungary
Canada - new drivers undergoing graduated licensing in Ontario, Quebec, Northwest Territories, Manitoba, Alberta, Saskatchewan, British Columbia, Nova Scotia and New Brunswick; drivers under the age of 22 in Ontario[6]

http://en.wikipedia....alcohol_content

#9 maniac78

maniac78
  • 271 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 07:30 AM

The worst part of the law is that they are issuing breath tests to test your BAC. Think about that for a second. They are estimating your BAC using a breath sample and if this estimate says your BAC MAY be above .05 they will take your car away. It's up to you to prove your BAC is lower. Welcome to the Canukistan, can I have your papers please.

#10 dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds
  • 214 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 10:05 AM

It has changed my attitude. Like most people I would be screwed if I had my license taken away (not to mention the monetary costs) I used to occasionally have 1 or 2 pints after work to beat the traffic. Last week I went through a road block on Quadra and Kings @ 6:20pm! When the cop put his head in my window (which realy bothers me by the way) I thought "was 1 pint really worth this feeling of panic I am having?" Luckily he believed "no I just got off work" and off I went. Obviously I don't think I would have blown over but with the low limits and accuracy of the breathalyzers, who wants to take the chance anymore? I imagine that restaurants and servers will feel the impact!

#11 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 30 September 2010 - 11:48 AM

Good write up Dirtydeeds. So are we living in Canada or some backwater communist dictatorship. Why must we feel panic when a policeman asks a question, what type of message are our lawmakers sending when the average guy on the street is in fear like this. I know a lot of cops and they are good people, even they think this law is overboard and is the product of zealots.

#12 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 30 September 2010 - 01:10 PM

0.05 is the norm in most of the world and really is the absolute upper reasonable limit of alcohol. Over and over again research shows that people with a BAC of 0.08 are significant danger on the roads if they have to react to anything happening. They are not incapable of driving if the road is clear and nothing is happening, but they are incapable of dealing with sudden crisis on the road.

The worst thing is that there are people that think if they are 0.08 they are still able to drive safely, it is that sort of lack of self awareness that makes drinking and driving so dangerous. No one is as good a driver at 0.08 as they are with 0.00

The BAC readings are like speed limits, only if you are high enough over the limit are you going to get into trouble, this is to deal with any potential uncertainty in the reading.

It is also very easy to be certain of not going over the limit - do not drink if you plan on driving.

0.05 is a reasonable limit that allows people to have a drink

#13 dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds
  • 214 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 01:32 PM

They are not incapable of driving if the road is clear and nothing is happening, but they are incapable of dealing with sudden crisis on the road.

The same could be said about talking on a cell phone, texting, eating, or drinking a coffee while driving? Yet for those offences all you get is a fine or nothing. I am not saying any of these are okay and neither is driving while intoxicated, but the punishment for blowing .05 is extreme in comparison. Why should the normal person who can have 1 or 2 drinks and say no to a third be punished roughly the same as a dipsh*t that can not stop when they have 2? To me it seems like a handy new tax grab?
And back to the topic, it will impact buisness and servers :)

#14 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,234 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 02:16 PM

There may be a valid argument that .05 is where the limit should be set. If so, then change the limit. Don't bring in some in between levels and give the police undue powers. It's the dicks who are well over .08, time and time again, that we need to get completely off the roads. Not responsible citizens who have one beer after work.

#15 AnonAnnie2

AnonAnnie2
  • 151 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 06:37 PM

Social drinkers have nothing to fear from B.C.'s new drunk driving laws: MADD

Read more: http://www.vancouver...l#ixzz114RXP7Uw

By KIM PEMBERTON, Vancouver Sun September 30, 2010 5:05 PM

Mothers Against Drunk Driving is responding to critics of B.C.'s new anti-drunk-driving laws, the toughest in the country, saying the .05-per-cent blood alcohol limit won't prohibit adults from enjoying a couple of drinks on a night out even if they're driving.
"MADD has never been prohibitionists. We don't have a problem with social drinking.

"......The law isn't aimed at people having a drink at dinner or a beer after work. That [having one drink] won't put you in the .05 per cent range. Those people have nothing to fear," she said. "The whole point is to reduce deaths and injuries caused by drunk drivers."

".......a number of factors play into whether a person would be over the limit, such as their weight, metabolic rate, whether they have any underlying medical conditions, the time since their last drink and how much they were eating while drinking to name a few."
kpemberton@vancouversun.com

Read more: http://www.vancouver...l#ixzz114RpSDcf

#16 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 06:54 PM

On the Global BC news at six there was a piece on how the bars were impacted by the lower limit.

One family that owns 8 bars/restaurants saw their business decline by huge numbers. He said it was like someone hit a light switch - one day the bar was full and business was great to his now empty bar with one person sitting in it. He is buying two vans to ferry his customers back and forth.

Kirk Mclean who just opened a bar/restaurant in Gastown said he is paying $5000 a month to transport customers home. That's a hit to the bottom line.

They were worried about the HST, that looks meaningless now.
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#17 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,861 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 08:58 PM

Some of the attitudes towards drinking and driving displayed in this forum are pretty disgusting.

The arguments used to justify it are meaningless - the facts are pretty clear. If you drink and drive you are more dangerous on the road and more likely to cause an accident that can have a huge impact not only on your life, but others too. It's such a selfish, needless thing to do.

Matt.

#18 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 30 September 2010 - 09:32 PM

Matt, I dont dispute your comment, however I do take issue with the infringement on the rights of the individual to a fair hearing and trial as opposed to arbitrary penalties on the spot for blowing between .05 to .079 which as far as I can tell is still a legal limit. Impounding ones car and suspension of a license for 3 days with several hundred $'s in penalties all at the discretion of one person on the side of the road does not give me great confidence in our charter rights. What if the policeman was in error? what if his machine was faulty or he was just grumpy and didnt like your attitude? This is why we have the 'right' to be judged by our peers....except in this case.

End result is a load of confusion as to what to do.

btw I have less than 5-6 drinks a year, never liked the taste of it, dont miss it. My wife loves me for it as I get to be the DD all the time, which is fine by me.

#19 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,861 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 09:39 PM

Driving a car isn't a right, it's a privilege. Public safety trumps any perceived rights in this matter, in my opinion.

To get back on topic, I personally or anecdotally have not noticed a change in peoples dining habits, but I suspect a liquor primary establishment will potentially see a bigger change than a restaurant.

Matt.

#20 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 10:57 PM

Zero tolerance, (It is illegal to have any alcohol in your blood while driving in these countries.)
Since there is always some amount of alcohol even in non-drinkers' bodies, they have to have some legal guidelines for determining what behavior is illegal. Often that guideline is something like impairment in driving to any degree that can be shown to be probably caused by recent alcohol consumption.

Romania
Russia
Saudi Arabia
Slovakia
United Arab Emirates
Brazil
Bangladesh
Czech Republic
Hungary
Canada - new drivers undergoing graduated licensing in Ontario, Quebec, Northwest Territories, Manitoba, Alberta, Saskatchewan, British Columbia, Nova Scotia and New Brunswick; drivers under the age of 22 in Ontario[6]

Wow, I didn't think entire countries would have such laws.

But I do know that many cities in many, many, many countries have much stricter laws than what federal regulations allow.

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users