Photo

UVic Apple Orchard.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 North Shore

North Shore
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 08:57 AM

Does anyone know what is going on with the UVic apple orchard (borders Cedarhill X and Mystic Vale)? I drive by most days, and apart from some pruning activity this spring (2010) it seems that there's a huge potential food resource going to waste...
Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?

#2 Mr_E_Squirrel

Mr_E_Squirrel
  • 589 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 09:24 AM

I wonder the same thing. The Apples are being used somewhere because I walked the Dog there at the end of September and NO APPLES on any trees.

Don't blame the bunnies :)

#3 North Shore

North Shore
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 09:28 AM

^Deer?
Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?

#4 Mr_E_Squirrel

Mr_E_Squirrel
  • 589 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 09:52 AM

:)

#5 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 07 October 2010 - 10:50 AM

I'm there every day sometimes twice, I've seen in the past what looks like some lessons taking place regarding the trees. Theres also the grass area that is fenced off and appears to be part of ongoing work, looks like different varieties of grass etc. But you're right, no apples this year at all, yet last year quite a lot.

#6 phx

phx
  • 1,862 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 09:11 PM

If you wanted apples, you should have said something. I had more than I knew what to do with this year.

#7 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,029 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 10:56 PM

For future reference, the Lifecycles Fruit Tree Project would be happy to have your unused fruit - plums, pears, apples, figs, quince, lots of things. There are organizations like this in many communities, however Lifecycles sets themselves apart by making value-added products for the non-profit. Typically, of the fruit that's picked, 1/4 goes to the home owner, 1/4 goes to local food banks (who really love the fabulous, fresh local fruit!), 1/4 goes to the volunteer pickers and 1/4 goes to different people who in turn make a product for Lifecycles to sell at retail.

For example, Winchester Cellars has made pear grappa, Sea Cider makes their great Kings and Spies, Spinnaker's makes cider vinegar, Victorian Epicure makes a line of product, etc. and we at the Marina just finished helping them turn 400 lb of quince into delicious quince paste (membrillo) that will be cured for a week or so in my dry storage before being packaged for resale. This has been a terrible year for tree fruit, last time we processed close to 1000lb.

I think Ottavio buys the lot and worries about the selling part, but these projects are a major fundraiser for the organization.

Something to think about ...

Matt.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users