Spirit Bears

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 10:04 AM

Though I dread to put this under Culture and Art.

I think this article signifies a dramatic improvement in the arts in the city.

Spirit Bear spirited away

Sharon Tiffin/Victoria News
Brian Konkle, Roger Konkle and Paul Cummings (right) lift one of the decorated Spirit Bears from its downtown pedestal as they prepare to truck it and the other bears away to prepare them for the Nov. 8 auction and gala at the Victoria Conference Centre. The proceeds from the auction go to the B.C. Lions Society's Easter Seal operations and the Bear Mountain Fund.

HEY CITY! NO MORE TACKY FIBREGLASS ANIMALS!

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#2 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 10:10 AM

Heh, I saw this and thought of posting it with a poll: What emblematic Victoria figure should be next years' fiberglas charity sculpture:

a)Spirit Raccoon
b)Tweeking Methhead
c)Incontinent Seagull
d)Joe Easingwood
e)Howie Siegel
f)Darth Vader
g)Should be decorated urinals--kill two birds w/ one stone
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#3 Walter Moar

Walter Moar
  • 166 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 10:14 AM

h) Mr. Floatie

#4 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 10:19 AM

Yah! The urinals are a great idea. One of them couls easily bave a Mr. Floatie theme :)

My greatest fear is seals or cougars. Eagles would also be cheesey.

How about we just end the idea of mass producing art and instead focus on good quality permanent original art.

It has a whole new look!

#5 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 01:35 PM

Counterpoint: kids absolutely love these things.

#6 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 01:39 PM

Countercounter Point - kids also like to put things they find on the ground in their mouth.

Perhaps not the best judges of public art.

It has a whole new look!

#7 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 03:38 PM

I say the city should buy all of the bears and fill Centennial Square with them. Call it "Bear Square".

Or would the elitist anti-family snobs in their luxurious glass highrises disapprove?

(just playing the devil's advocate here)

#8 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 05:17 PM

Did everyone hear that the Salmon Kings mascot is a mountain rat, err... I mean... marmot?

mar·mot (mär'mət)
n.
Any of various stocky, coarse-furred, burrowing rodents of the genus Marmota, having short legs and ears and short bushy tails and found throughout the Northern Hemisphere. Their diet mainly consists of grubs, insects and some small nuts, but the Vancouver Island variety has been known to consume large amounts of taxpayer money.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#9 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 05:29 PM

Yeah, I heard that today from a friend. I figure they probably got an outrageous quote for a custom-made salmon costume and found a half-price used beaver costume and did some modifications.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#10 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 05:45 PM

^ Mr. Floatie with ears would have been cheaper.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#11 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 26 October 2006 - 06:22 PM

^ Mr. Floatie with ears would have been cheaper.

Yah, unfortunately the team is off to another sh*tty start. Hope it's not another season flushed down the toilet...

sorry, couldn't resist.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users