• 3 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 06:15 PM

]

#2 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 10,601 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 09:30 PM

^ Nice pic, I just set that as a desktop background. Hope you don't mind.

#3 VicBooster

VicBooster
  • 200 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 09:24 AM

Is that East Sooke?

And hello :)

#4 todd

todd

[gone fishing]

• 6,503 posts

Posted 16 May 2016 - 07:39 PM

Vehicle access to Sombrio Beach restricted over May long weekend.

http://www.cheknews....cess-to-176278/

That's no fun.

Edited by todd, 16 May 2016 - 07:40 PM.

#5 SamCB

SamCB
  • 643 posts
  • Locationvictoria

Posted 17 May 2016 - 08:21 AM

Does anyone have info on Cordova Spit Park?
The Central Saanich Parks Map shows it as a green park space and there is some reference to it being a public park online. But access is thru the reserve and all the signs say no public access, private road etc. The First Nations name for the park is TIXEN.

#6 todd

todd

[gone fishing]

• 6,503 posts

Posted 17 May 2016 - 10:31 AM

Does anyone have info on Cordova Spit Park?
The Central Saanich Parks Map shows it as a green park space and there is some reference to it being a public park online. But access is thru the reserve and all the signs say no public access, private road etc. The First Nations name for the park is TIXEN.

Yeah wondered that myself I've driven down that road before but then got nervous and headed back, according to the map it looks like just the end is a public park, I guess maybe boat access only? Did touch down there once by boat for a few minutes to transfer something, nobody around.

download (10).png

The red area shows the reserve.

download (11).png

#7 SamCB

SamCB
  • 643 posts
  • Locationvictoria

Posted 17 May 2016 - 10:58 AM

Thanks Todd.
I got curious so I phoned central Saanich parks dept. The lady I spoke with said the reserve is supposed to allow access by road but they generally don't. It's a grey area. So the only surefire access is by boat. Or she suggested you could try walking to it at low tide (presumably from saanichton bay park).
Interesting land use issue.

#8 Bernard

Bernard
  • 4,241 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 17 May 2016 - 11:05 AM

The First Nation has no requirement to allow access to the park unless Central Saanich and the First Nation negotiate an access agreement

#9 todd

todd

[gone fishing]

• 6,503 posts

Posted 17 May 2016 - 11:53 AM

Thanks Todd.
I got curious so I phoned central Saanich parks dept. The lady I spoke with said the reserve is supposed to allow access by road but they generally don't. It's a grey area. So the only surefire access is by boat. Or she suggested you could try walking to it at low tide (presumably from saanichton bay park).
Interesting land use issue.

Yup usually people can't own below the foreshore it is a fun activity getting a map and heading out at low tide wondering areas where people rarely go ...and the stink eye from the owners think/hoped they own the foreshore.

Chatham Island/Discovery Island/Strong tide Island/Vantreight Island/Camp island all in the same group is an interesting kettle of fish. In recent years the Songhees have/was claimed that they have the claim to the foreshore on these islands in this special case claiming that the original treaty shows this, and have put up signs saying $1000 fine or 30 days in jail If caught trespassing, and purchased a boat and employed a bylaw officer in uniform to patrol the island, and installed remote surveillance cameras. It seems as though their plan is/was to eventually catch somebody trespassing and then try and argue it in court, so you could be that person even though it's a completely uncertain/gray area. Don't know if anybody's ever been taken to court.

#10 Bernard

Bernard
  • 4,241 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 17 May 2016 - 01:26 PM

Yup usually people can't own below the foreshore it is a fun activity getting a map and heading out at low tide wondering areas where people rarely go ...and the stink eye from the owners think/hoped they own the foreshore.

Chatham Island/Discovery Island/Strong tide Island/Vantreight Island/Camp island all in the same group is an interesting kettle of fish. In recent years the Songhees have/was claimed that they have the claim to the foreshore on these islands in this special case claiming that the original treaty shows this, and have put up signs saying $1000 fine or 30 days in jail If caught trespassing, and purchased a boat and employed a bylaw officer in uniform to patrol the island, and installed remote surveillance cameras. It seems as though their plan is/was to eventually catch somebody trespassing and then try and argue it in court, so you could be that person even though it's a completely uncertain/gray area. Don't know if anybody's ever been taken to court.

The norm is that you can not own below the high tide line, but in the case of First Nations there are very good legal arguments for why they do own the foreshore.  Enforcing this is would not be easy

#11 lanforod

lanforod
  • 7,250 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 18 May 2016 - 08:12 AM

Yeah wondered that myself I've driven down that road before but then got nervous and headed back, according to the map it looks like just the end is a public park, I guess maybe boat access only? Did touch down there once by boat for a few minutes to transfer something, nobody around.

Uh huh... transfer what? :cop:

#12 todd

todd

[gone fishing]

• 6,503 posts

Posted 18 May 2016 - 08:19 AM

Uh huh... transfer what? :cop:

Just an innocent bale of Cotton Candy.

....But also some gasoline to another boat.

Edited by todd, 18 May 2016 - 08:39 AM.

#13 todd

todd

[gone fishing]

• 6,503 posts

Posted 06 August 2016 - 07:13 PM

Anyone know the history of what I think is a Austin Mini that slipped off the highway and down the hill just before the China Beach day use parking area? It's been there for a long long time I remember at one point there was a tricycle and suitcases with clothing and shoes which appear to be gone or buried under the Moss.
20160708_113544.jpg
20160708_113646.jpg
20160708_113622.jpg
20160708_113603.jpg
20160708_113508.jpg

#14 todd

todd

[gone fishing]

• 6,503 posts

Posted 14 May 2019 - 09:30 PM

purple haze
08CD3B50-4173-40CC-977D-22A0D000D66C.jpeg
Uplands Park.

https://youtu.be/fjwWjx7Cw8I

Edited by todd, 14 May 2019 - 09:36 PM.

• Mike K. likes this

#15 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 4,043 posts
  • LocationGorge-Selkirk

Posted 10 August 2019 - 04:11 PM

Not sure if Durrance Lake is actually a regional park but it sure is purty and peaceful at 5:45 in the morning.

Was actually very surprised at just how popular this place is even at that time of the day; aside from people like us fishing, there were swimmers, kayakers, hikers, canoeists - for a small lake it offers a large variety of things to do and activities to engage in......

Attached Images

• Durrance 1.jpg
  • Durrance 2.jpg
  • Durrance 3.jpg

• Mike K. and todd like this

#16 LJ

LJ
  • 9,177 posts

Posted 10 August 2019 - 07:20 PM

At 5:45am all I want to see is my pillow.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#17 todd

todd

[gone fishing]

• 6,503 posts

Posted 10 August 2019 - 07:47 PM

You are an owl?

#18 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 4,043 posts
  • LocationGorge-Selkirk

Posted 10 August 2019 - 08:19 PM

Well it'll be 5:15am tomorrow; I'll be certain to send some telepathic vibes your way :)

#19 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 50,882 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 06:43 AM

Just rip past LJ’s house with that new muffler.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#20 LJ

LJ
  • 9,177 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 07:42 PM

^I'll return the favour at 1:00am.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users