• Please log in to reply
230 replies to this topic

#61 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 06:35 AM

Todays Groupon is:

$12 for Two Adult Admissions to Pacific Undersea Gardens ($24.53 Value)

Now that is probably a good deal for UG. No hard cost for them at all, and what adults will go without kids?
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#62 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 17 January 2011 - 08:26 AM

Todays Groupon is:

Now that is probably a good deal for UG. No hard cost for them at all, and what adults will go without kids?

I was just about to post how this is the worst Groupon ever. $12 should be the price per pair for Undersea Gardens.

#63 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 08:29 AM

^They'll pay me $12 to go to PUG? I'm considering it.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#64 VicBooster

VicBooster
  • 200 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 10:10 AM

Undersea Gardens is a disgrace. $12 is $12 too much for that dump.

You are better off driving to Sidney and paying full admission price for the Ocean Discovery Centre. That there is what Undersea Gardens should aspire to become instead of the decaying wasteland that its underwater experience has become.

#65 groceryalerts

groceryalerts

groceryalerts

• 31 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 02:00 PM

Todays Groupon is:

Agreed. Worst Groupon ever?

I wonder if they will have another photobook tomorrow!
Grocery Alerts Canada: Coupons and Grocery Deals.

#66 manifest

manifest
  • 23 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 03:11 PM

Groupon did one for the Shaw Discover Centre. They sold 1034. http://www.groupon.c...iscovery-centre

It looks like the Undersea Gardens one will sell about 900 or so by midnight.

The quality of Groupons are sure going down lately. Bodes well for me, haha.

#67 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 17 January 2011 - 03:43 PM

I joined them all a few months back, picked up some good deals along the way, but I think its getting saturated.

I'm holding out for the "2 for 1 Porsche deal" which might be a little while!!!

#68 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 04:16 PM

The quality of Groupons are sure going down lately.

This is how some business models work. Release a product or service which is instantly popular but isn't sustainable. When things start declining release a new form of narcotic-like product or service, and repeat the process until the consumer is dead inside. The ultimate goal is to kill the entire planet.

#69 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 05:16 PM

This is how some business models work. Release a product or service which is instantly popular but isn't sustainable. When things start declining release a new form of narcotic-like product or service, and repeat the process until the consumer is dead inside. The ultimate goal is to kill the entire planet.

You forgot about the part about getting a whole bunch of suckers to invest their hard earned money into the company just before it peaks.

#70 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 09:37 PM

True, for businesses it will be the return customers that will make the coupon scheme pay off in the long run.

To make that happen, staff will have to give the newcomers the royal treatment, even if they know they could be cheapskates.

If businesses make the mistake of cheaping out their coupon customers it could backfire drastically, like it did recently in Japan:

Its advertisement on Groupon said 33 different types of food would be included, enough to serve four people. But the restaurant was short by about eight items and the fill was meager. The blunder occurred due to an overflow of orders that exceeded the allotted 500 sets and failing to leave enough time to prepare all the boxes, wrote Kenji Mizuguchi, the president of Gaishokubunka, the restauarant management company that oversees Bird Café, on his blog Sunday. In the same blog entry Mr. Mizuguchi announced his resignation as company president to take responsibility for the incident.

"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#71 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 22 January 2011 - 07:25 AM

Today's SwarmJam is 71% Off a $175 Voucher for Two Nights and a Meal for Two at the Copper Valley Resort.

So you get it for $50.

Sounds pretty good. You can use it through September.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#72 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,550 posts

Posted 22 January 2011 - 10:30 AM

I'm starting to think that the cheapskate theory doesn't necessarily represent the largest group of these deal buyers.

My friends who are buying Groupons/Couvons are simply capitalizing on a deal that piques their interest. For example, they'll buy up golfing packages because they like to golf and would buy them anyways. And if they buy a restaurant deal its only for a restaurant that they've been to before.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#73 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 22 January 2011 - 10:37 AM

I'm starting to think that the cheapskate theory doesn't necessarily represent the largest group of these deal buyers.

My friends who are buying Groupons/Couvons are simply capitalizing on a deal that piques their interest. For example, they'll buy up golfing packages because they like to golf and would buy them anyways. And if they buy a restaurant deal its only for a restaurant that they've been to before.

I never said this was a bad deal for consumers, I said it was a bad deal for business.

Now golfers only golf at your place if it is discounted, only dine there when you give them 50% off.

#74 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 22 January 2011 - 10:38 AM

Word is that Google is going to launch their own service. Will offer merchants 80% of revenue up front instead of Groupon's 33% and will include Google Adwords at no extra cost.

http://www.scribd.co...secret_password=

Sounds like Groupon should have taken the $6B.

#75 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 07:21 AM

Maybe the best merchandise deal I have ever seen on Groupon runs today:

$40 for $80 Worth of Merchandise at Frontrunners Footwear

# Expires in 1 year
# Limit 1 per person, may buy 1 additional as a gift. Limit 1 per visit. Valid only at listed locations. Must use in 1 visit, no cash back. Not valid with other offers.

220 already sold in first two hours.

Of note: It runs today AND tomorrow, not sure if we have ever seen a two-day sale mid-week. Are they short of advertisers?

#76 Szeven

Szeven
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 12:42 PM

Maybe the best merchandise deal I have ever seen on Groupon runs today:

220 already sold in first two hours.

Of note: It runs today AND tomorrow, not sure if we have ever seen a two-day sale mid-week. Are they short of advertisers?

1800 sold now... do they really even have 150k in inventory in the store?!

It also go shortened, interestingly. I wonder what the max is?

#77 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 01:16 PM

Yes, they are near $150k sold now.

Still shows for another 10 hours, that ought to put them well over $200k, maybe 250k by then.

I bought it, might be my first Groupon buy - I've bought two SwarmJams...

#78 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 01:58 PM

Yes, they are near $150k sold now.

Still shows for another 10 hours, that ought to put them well over $200k, maybe 250k by then.

I bought it, might be my first Groupon buy - I've bought two SwarmJams...

Hope you didn't buy the featured shoe from Frontrunners! The Nike Free Run + that Frontrunners has featured on Groupon for $129 has a manufacturer's suggested retail price of $85!

http://store.nike.com/us/en_us/#l=shop,pwp,c-1/hf-10002+12001+4294967132/t-Men's Running Shoes/ipp-48/pn-1

#79 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 02:30 PM

Hope you didn't buy the featured shoe from Frontrunners! The Nike Free Run + that Frontrunners has featured on Groupon for $129 has a manufacturer's suggested retail price of $85!

http://store.nike.com/us/en_us/#l=shop,pwp,c-1/hf-10002+12001+4294967132/t-Men's Running Shoes/ipp-48/pn-1

No, I have one year to make my purchase. If Groupon bankrupts them by then, I get my money back! :)

#80 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 04:50 PM

That seems a pretty typical Canadian running shoe markup. I almost died when my $75 Mizunos were $130 here.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users