Groupon, Couvon and other daily deal and mass-buy companies

• Please log in to reply
230 replies to this topic

#81 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 06:05 PM

Just under 6 hours left. $193,000 worth of goods sold.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#82 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 09:27 PM

Two hours left, and they have sold $233k worth of goods.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#83 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 10:08 AM

I'm tempted by today's Groupon:

Flying is the only way to get close enough to a cloud to milk it or to visit your secret sky family. Bolster the bond earthly loved ones just don't understand with today's Groupon: for $150, you get a City Panorama Tour for two at Island Pacific Flight Academy.

"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#84 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 28 January 2011 - 10:26 AM

Visiting my sky family? It makes it sound like the plane will crash and I'll be flying through the pearly gates.. backwards.. on fire!

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#85 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 28 January 2011 - 02:45 PM

Flying is the only way to get close enough to a cloud to milk it or to visit your secret sky family. Bolster the bond earthly loved ones just don't understand with today's Groupon: for $150, you get a City Panorama Tour for two at Island Pacific Flight Academy.

Here's my major problem with the Groupon business model: centralization. Why do they have an old fashioned office building full of copywriters and a remote salesforce, when they ought to just farm that stuff out locally. I've been reading some of the write-ups, and they are f***-awful. If they had expanded through a network of an independent sales force, I could deal with someone in person who knows my business, instead of essentially guessing, based on what they think makes sense. Ultimately, the client has the final pen (I WOULD HOPE), but I'm sure most business owners are happy to let Groupon do it all.

That said, when we get our Groupon on out, I will definitely do my best to ensure that the write up isn't as described above (i.e., f***-awful).

#86 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 28 January 2011 - 02:55 PM

Google "mammatus cloud". Looks like you could grab one and milk it.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#87 couvon

couvon
  • 1 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 11:27 PM

Hey guys - we're also not spamming - we just wanted to clarify that Couvon does not make companies sign contracts that limit their marketing efforts in any way for any period of time.

Thanks!

#88 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 08:21 AM

I understand Swarmjam gives you two options:

50% of their take, cash - or

All of their take towards TC advertising (not sure of the exact terms here).

#89 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 09:11 AM

Facebook launches online coupon site

Postmedia News February 1, 2011

Facebook is aiming to upset the $10-billion market for online coupons by offering a free service that allows retailers to broadcast special offers to all Facebook users in the immediate area.

Read more: http://www.timescolo...l#ixzz1CjCoLXcM

#90 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,177 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 01:14 PM

I would just like to remind everyone that commercial postings that are not previously authorized by VibrantVictoria will be removed.

To inquire about commercial opportunities for the site, please contact us.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#91 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 06:32 AM

Couvon has a pure merchandise deal today:

$25 For $50 At Bliss Boutique

#92 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,177 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 11:23 AM

Are there any Groupon-type companies that offer deals for online stores and businesses? That's a HUGE untapped market for them and it wouldn't require a focus on individual cities or regions.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#93 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 01:45 PM

Coming soon:

Wagsta Victoria

#94 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 03:22 PM

Are there any Groupon-type companies that offer deals for online stores and businesses? That's a HUGE untapped market for them and it wouldn't require a focus on individual cities or regions.

I think the problem is that most online stores don't have a 300% markup to play with. Anything short of that and they are losing money on the product.

#95 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 08:23 AM

I have to say that our business's Groupon experience has been a mixed bag thus far, IMHO. For one, check out the write up: http://www.groupon.com/victoria/. The first line is a joke...and a bad one, at that. At least it's not as bad as some of the others I've seen (Flying Otter B&G comes to mind). And they played up/(mis)characterized certain aspects of our menu that I personally wasn't a big fan of. Their customer service and their attitude is effing terrible. I can't wait until the Facebook and/or Google group buys come out.

Now, notwithstanding the above, what I cannot complain about is that it is on a fairly torrid pace - nearly 400 sold, and it was only Tweeted/Facebooked about an hour ago. Most Victoria deals hit about 1,500, so it will be interesting to see where we are by midnight.

#96 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 08:43 AM

Those bad jokes are what differentiates Groupon from the 3,473 other companies offering similar online deals. I actually click on them to find out how they will butcher the next company with a random non-sequitor.

#97 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 09:35 AM

Those bad jokes are what differentiates Groupon from the 3,473 other companies offering similar online deals. I actually click on them to find out how they will butcher the next company with a random non-sequitor.

Thanks, Rob - that is useful feedback. Up over 700 so far!

#98 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 10:14 AM

Bob,

Would be interesting to hear your thoughts later on some of the key points that have been raised here before like whether it draws in new customers, people only buy the minimum and whether you would do it again.

#99 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 10:22 AM

Bob,

Would be interesting to hear your thoughts later on some of the key points that have been raised here before like whether it draws in new customers, people only buy the minimum and whether you would do it again.

I will definitely keep my fellow VVer's posted as to how this shakes out, from when we began negotiations with Groupon up until the end of the redemption period.

I would also be interested to learn about the experiences of any new or current Fernwood patrons from amongs the VV crowd. So you know, feel free to *cough* buy one *cough cough*. ;)

#100 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 12:57 PM

I will definitely keep my fellow VVer's posted as to how this shakes out, from when we began negotiations with Groupon up until the end of the redemption period.

I would also be interested to learn about the experiences of any new or current Fernwood patrons from amongs the VV crowd. So you know, feel free to *cough* buy one *cough cough*. ;)

I bought one, Bob. Only my third buy.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users