Photo

[Downtown Victoria] SoMA condo | 6-storeys | Built - completed in 2009

• Please log in to reply
254 replies to this topic

#81 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 01:55 PM

So you're saying that that 2 story wrap-around portion of the complex that touches douglas - its exterior wall is from the building that was there before?

#82 Scaper

Scaper
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 02:23 PM

Yes it was the Sussex hotel... They were originally going to tear it down and build a 12 story office tower right on the front of Douglas, but the Herritage buffs got it saved as a heritage building and they had to save the facade and move the tower as far away from the facade as they could.

They were also concerned of a 12 story office tower because of the height so they knocked it down to 11 stories...

#83 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 02:46 PM

I like it the way it is now so I guess it is a positive thing. The courtyard is great if you are eating at the soup place.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#84 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 03:00 PM

Couldn't they have integrated the old facade into the tower?

#85 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 03:04 PM

Come on let's not get logical.

I guess they thought it would detract from the heritage value.

It has a whole new look!

#86 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,428 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 03:09 PM

In 2004 the heritage tiles on the heritage facade were ripped out and replaced with non-heritage tiles.

Or, were the tiles non-heritage to begin with? Would that mean the heritage facade was defaced by non-heritage materials most Victorian's believed to have been heritage?

;)

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#87 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 03:11 PM

I remember wondering why they did that.
Why did they replace the tiles? They looked fine to me.

#88 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 03:13 PM

I think the mortar was bad and some had fallen down.

It has a whole new look!

#89 Doc Sage

Doc Sage
  • 46 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 04:06 PM

I always like how they intergrated the old and the new.

I do not see how this building shorter by one floor could make a difference. Oh well!!!!

Doc Sage

#90 FunkyMunky

FunkyMunky
  • 416 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 08:51 PM

So no one has yet to tell me why they can't do a single lane garage entrance like the condo on Chatham. Anyone think of a good reason?

First of all, what condo on Chatham? I don't know what you're comparing this to.

You can't tell much from the detail on the schematics but if I had to make an educated guess, I'd say the double-width gate accesses the ramp to the underground parking and a bay for the trash compactor and recycle boxes.

#91 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,645 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 09:26 PM

This block would be enhanced more with a taller tower on the 742 and 744 lots - whist preserving the view of/from the Sussex and the Japanese Village. I can't imagine losing the best steak sauce in the western hemisphere.

#92 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 09:59 PM

So no one has yet to tell me why they can't do a single lane garage entrance like the condo on Chatham. Anyone think of a good reason?

First of all, what condo on Chatham? I don't know what you're comparing this to.

You can't tell much from the detail on the schematics but if I had to make an educated guess, I'd say the double-width gate accesses the ramp to the underground parking and a bay for the trash compactor and recycle boxes.

The one in the 500 block with the acupuncture clinic on the main floor. Silver 4 storey.

It has a whole new look!

#93 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 10:01 PM

555 Chatham, the building with the transmission parts welded on to it, right behind Chris LeFevre's reno on Herald
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.
Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900), The Picture of Dorian Gray, 1891

#94 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 10:09 PM

This is 555 Chatham.

Are you sure you don't mean the brick one on the north side of the street with the coffee shop?
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#95 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 10:15 PM

Yep i am certain just at the right of that pic is the parking entrance and it is narrow. I am checking my stock...

It has a whole new look!

#96 FunkyMunky

FunkyMunky
  • 416 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 10:21 PM

Are you sure you don't mean the brick one on the north side of the street with the coffee shop?

Yeah, I don't recall 555 Chatham having an underground garage. There's an open air lot on the west side of the building that I think they use.

555 Chatham, the building with the transmission parts welded on to it, right behind Chris LeFevre's reno on Herald

I love the clever use of the gears on the ironwork over the walkway entrance and the balconies.

#97 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 10:23 PM

There is a no longer viable link at this google image search but you can see the garage entrance in the pic.

http://images.google.ca/images?q=555+chatham&ndsp=20&svnum=10&hl=en&lr=&start=0&sa=N

However there is an underground parkade there and in Holden's pic you can see the yellow crossbar and in the pic in the google search you can also see it.

Anyways why can't we have a garage entrance that wide on the front of this building.

It has a whole new look!

#98 FunkyMunky

FunkyMunky
  • 416 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 10:33 PM

There is a no longer viable link at this google image search but you can see the garage entrance in the pic.

I think this is the picture you're referring to. I will check it out tomorrow. You're talking about the bar-thingy that's beside the building? I'm not sure that really counts in this discussion about the Broughton Street property, does it? Seems rather different.

#99 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 10:35 PM

Yes. All I am saying is that if they can build a single width parking entrance here for this building why can't it be the same width on the Broughton building.

It has a whole new look!

#100 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 10:47 PM

The man has a point. Down with the double-wide!
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users