PROPOSED
Turner Building
Uses: rental, commercial
Address: 2002-2010 Richmond Road
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Urban core
Storeys: 6
Turner Building is a proposal to redevelop the landmark Turner Building at 2002-2010 Richmond Road and adjacen... (view full profile)
Learn more about Turner Building on Citified.ca
Photo

[Victoria - Jubilee] Turner Building redevelopment | Residential; retail | 6-storeys

• Please log in to reply
255 replies to this topic

#81 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 10:39 AM

Those aren't my pics. I just glued a portion of a building in Toronto over top of Google's street view. Who snapped the other pics?

#82 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 11:02 AM

^Yes, I think you're right.

This reminds me so much of the Vantrieght rezoning. The patriarch dies and the kids fight about the property, then only when things get dire they plead to the public and City Hall for help.

I mentioned earlier that my in-laws tried to purchase this property years ago. The story I heard is that when the old man died, he made his wife promise that she would not sell the property. Years went by, and for whatever reason the family could not agree on what to do with it, but one thing was for certain was that it wasn't going to be sold because the wife made a promise.  I have no idea why they stopped maintaining the place, but apparently the wife suffers from dementia now so maybe that played a role. I think it's safe to assume the children don't care and had no interest in caring for the building, finding tenants, etc.

#83 29er Radio

29er Radio
  • 671 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 02:40 PM

Hey Jonny, that story sounds suspiciously like the Kramer story. The beauty of this, is now we have some movement on an other wise stifling situation. Thank god the Turner and Kramer families have decided to divest themselves of landmark sites so we as Greater Victorians can see eyesores removed and rejuvenation fostered for our community. Exciting times ahead.

Eric Bramble - http://www.29erradio.com
The Growler Hour
Lisa, Gene & Eric Show

#84 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 12:48 PM

The three properties are: 2002 Richmond (assessed at $1.154MM); 1909 Birch Street (assessed at $362K); 1769 Pembroke Street (assessed at $329K). Total assessed values of all three lots are $1.845.

Have a look at the aerial view of the lots and you will see what an extremley awkward assembly this makes. There is no way that you could use the total allowable density (which you MAY get after a very lengthy rezoning process) to put up a single building. If assembled you would need to build at least two individual buildings. The set backs at 2002 Richmond will never allow you to build up to lot line as the current building stands (well sort fo stands). If it they were asking $1.4 for all three lots then maybe you could make sense of it. The real play here is getting ahold of these lots as well as 1911 Birch and 1761 Pembroke....I am also a little confused with the statement from the listing "This 2 story Building does need a lot of TLC". A certain demolition (as indicated necessary by enginering professionals) of the existing strcuture can not be classified as needing a lot of TLC.

I am not even going to get into the blatent misuse of aastra's rendering.

Misrepresentation anyone?

I certainly hope the City doesn't throw away an opportunity to develop one of the most unique lots anywhere in the region by denying a new building to come right up to the sidewalk.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#85 concorde

concorde
  • Banned
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 10:35 AM

The Turner building is now for sale

#86 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 12:16 PM

We've got a special treat today courtesy of Kikadee and her friend Caroline Hendry (of Calgary) who took this photo of Ian (with another fellow named Tom) back in 1993. Classic!

Attached Images

• Ian-and-Tom-of-Ians-Coffee-Shop-1993-Caroline-Hendry.jpg

• Sparky and Bingo like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#87 phx

phx
  • 1,856 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 08:14 PM

Turners listed for sale today: http://greggmahvicto...etails-35393418

$1.4 Million. 

The assessed value for the land is $787,000.  Deducting the demolition costs, a realistic price might be half the asking price.

#88 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 02:06 PM

Legislature dome moving, repair needed

VICTORIA – The B.C. legislature's signature copper-clad dome is "beginning to twist, and that's a problem," MLAs on the legislature management committee were told Thursday.

That's the most dramatic symptom of deterioration in the 120-year-old structure, whose many structural problems have been put off for decades and could cost up to $70 million to repair.

The MLA committee is to meet again Dec. 12 to hear from engineers and decide on the next steps. Speaker Linda Reid noted that other legislature renovations have involved moving government operations to another location for as long as 10 years.

The estimate for the most urgent work is $5.7 million, proposed to begin in 2015.

Construction on the limestone structure started in 1893, with additions complete in 1915. It has many plumbing and electrical problems, and does not meet current fire or building codes.

Other buildings on the grounds also have serious problems, including the former armoury behind the legislature whose upper floor has been declared unsafe for use.

http://www.vicnews.c.../233835621.html

Edited by amor de cosmos, 29 November 2013 - 02:07 PM.

#89 Dimitrios

Dimitrios
  • 316 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 04:30 PM

The assessed value for the land is $787,000.  Deducting the demolition costs, a realistic price might be half the asking price.

Just drove by there, and unless I was really imagining things, there is a sold sign posted.

#90 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 08:52 AM

Turner building has been bought by a mystery buyer. Plans for the site are unannounced.

IMG_8284-2.jpg

#91 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 09:04 AM

A buyer has been found for the run-down 1940s-era Turner Building and its two neighbouring lots after it went on the market in mid-November.

It’s not yet known who bought the two-storey building, or what the plans are for the 2002 Richmond Rd. site.

Real estate agent Gregg Mah said Friday that it is his understanding that the purchaser wants to “maintain the integrity of the building.” He had no other details.

“I can only say that the Turner family are very happy with the outcome of the sale.”

There was interest from “multiple” potential buyers, Mah said. The property was listed for $1.4 million. The selling price for the building and two lots was “substantial,” he said.

Conditions on the offer have been removed, he said. The closing date is not being revealed.

http://www.timescolo...ilding-1.750118

#92 LJ

LJ
  • 12,702 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 07:07 PM

^"maintain the integrity of the building", really? I think that ship sailed.

• Holden West and Jill like this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#93 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 04:16 PM

^"maintain the integrity of the building", really? I think that ship sailed.

If you just work some carpenters glue into those beams and put a couple of "C" clamps on it, she should be good to go. :)

IMG_8288-1.jpg

• Nparker and Hotel Mike like this

#94 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 01:06 AM

Yikes... I thought it was the year the cleaners were supposed to come!

IMG_8281-1.jpg

#95 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 06:58 AM

Alan Lowe is the architect for the new owner of the Turner building.

He says the new owner wants to incorporate a coffee shop in the new/renovated? building.

I am starting to like the way this is going.

Remember...aim high....vote Lowe.    :)

#96 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 09:28 AM

The buyer of the old Turner Building hopes to put a coffee shop on the ground floor and build offices above, says Alan Lowe, the project’s architect.

It is too soon to say exactly what will happen, Lowe said Tuesday.

“We intend to go to council Thursday night to ask for time to review the building and to stabilize it so that we can look at all our options,” said Lowe, a former Victoria mayor.

The Turner Building, near Royal Jubilee Hospital, is under a time constraint. Because of its poor condition, it faced demolition this fall and twice received 30-day windows to give the Turner family time to either arrange for demolition or to plan a redevelopment. Last month, the building was put on the market for $1.4 million. Two adjacent lots were also available and purchased by the new owner as well.

*snip*

“It’s a key site in the Jubilee village centre, so it is our client’s intention to keep a coffee shop or something on the ground floor and obviously we want to make sure it is a building that will fit in within the Jubilee centre neighbourhood. Our client does want to build some office space there.” The site is between an office building at 2020 Richmond and the Fort Royal Medical Building, Lowe noted.

http://www.timescolo...p-back-1.754846

#97 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 12:26 PM

Anyone taking bets on who bought the building(s)?

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#98 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,880 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 12:52 PM

Adam Gant!

Matt.

#99 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 01:05 PM

Adam Gant!

Matt.

Classic.  I'd say Abstract, but don't know if they ever do business with Lowe.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#100 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 06:24 AM

The old Turner building at 2002 Richmond Road will not be demolished, at least for the time being.

A deal to purchase the building by Island Cardiology Holdings Ltd is supposed to be closed today and that has muddied the issue enough to slow down the process.  

http://www.cfax1070....Turner-building

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users