Gordon Campbell steps down - Nov 03 2010

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 11:40 AM

Gordon Campbell this morning announced that he is stepping down as Premier of BC. A leadership convention will be held.

Sources:

http://www.theglobea...article1784300/

http://www.cbc.ca/ca...n-campbell.html

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 11:45 AM

Beat you by 5 minutes. Actually 10.

#3 Layne French

Layne French
  • 355 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 11:55 AM

Kinda surprised by this news

#4 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 11:59 AM

Beat you by 5 minutes. Actually 10.

Oops. I didn't see the other thread.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 12:11 PM

Gordon Campbell this morning announced that he is stepping down as Premier of BC. A leadership convention will be held.

Sources:

http://www.theglobea...article1784300/

http://www.cbc.ca/ca...n-campbell.html

Waiting for the other shoe to drop.

#6 yodsaker

yodsaker
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 01:12 PM

They took him into the back room and said they weren't willing to lose their cars and drivers, their toadies, flunkies and yes-men, their nice offices on account of Mr. Nine Percent.
Best news since the Maui booze-up.
Carole James was very gracious on Global TV for 30 seconds then descended into partisan talking points. None of them learn to shut up while they are ahead.

#7 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 01:22 PM

This is nothing more than positioning by the Liberals. A replacement will give voters a sense of renewal.

Carole James can say all she wants but her party lost two MLAs in the last month, one of whom was ejected for criticizing her and the other stepped down over the NDP's decision to eject rather than reprimand said MLA.

Know it all.

#8 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 03 November 2010 - 01:47 PM

So I'm thinking that the NDP will wait and see who the Liberals choose before they have their own coup d'etat and dump Carole. I'll be very surprised if she's around this time next year.

#9 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 02:07 PM

So I'm thinking that the NDP will wait and see who the Liberals choose before they have their own coup d'etat and dump Carole. I'll be very surprised if she's around this time next year.

The bet on the street was who was going to be dumped first, Gordon or Carole. Carole won't be around in 12 months guaranteed.

#10 weirdie

weirdie
  • 497 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 02:10 PM

The bet on the street was who was going to be dumped first, Gordon or Carole. Carole won't be around in 12 months guaranteed.

I really hope so. The only thing keeping me from voting NDP is that horrible harpy of a woman.

#11 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 02:33 PM

Any thoughts on who Campbell's replacement may be?

Know it all.

#12 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 03:02 PM

Bill Vanderzalm

#13 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 03 November 2010 - 03:33 PM

Bill Vanderzalm

The Zalm hates the Liberals and could make a run for the BC Conservative leader

#14 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 03:53 PM

Conservatives, Liberals, NDP, are all just names these days. People pick a party based on where they feel they have the best chance of winning.

#15 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 03 November 2010 - 03:55 PM

Rich Coleman has been actively campaigning for awhile, now. Mary Polak's stock as never been higher and I'll bet Kevin Falcon rates his chances; though I think that he would only ever win a convention in some alternate bizarro universe.

#16 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 04:00 PM

I know, I just thought that it could be a different party and leader that replaces him.

#17 concorde

concorde
  • Banned
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 04:20 PM

I really hope so. The only thing keeping me from voting NDP is that horrible harpy of a woman.

The Liberals could have Kermit the frog as leader and I would still vote for them. It will be a cold day in hell before I vote NDP. Don't people remember the late 90's under the NDP?

#18 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 03 November 2010 - 04:35 PM

The political reality is that the NDP will have to replace Carole James before 2013, ideally within six months of a new Liberal leader.

The Liberals will suffer if they choose anyone from within the existing caucus, but there are some people that could survive till 2017 and win then, that has to be someone younger than 50 now. If the Liberals choose a leader from outside of the caucus they stand a chance of doing much better in 2013 than anyone would expect. Someone like Diane Watts or Keith Martin would make for a very, very interesting change.

The big unknown are the BC Conservatives, with federal MP such as John Cummings as leader they could sweep most of the interior of BC other than the Kootanies. There is a large pent up right wing vote in BC that is desperate for a right wing party to vote for.

If the BC Liberals are seen the same as the federal Liberals, this is very, very bad for the NDP. With the rise of a BC Conservative party this becomes a possibility. The federal NDP has trouble getting past 25% support in BC. The last election in which BC had the same alignment provincially as federally was in 1940. If we have that in 2013 we could see eventually see the shift to a permanent Conservative government in BC. In the last generation there is only two federal elections in which the right did not win the majority of seats and only once when they were not the largest party.

If BC politics align with the federal politics, this is the worst case scenario for the NDP

#19 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 04:44 PM

I think Gordon Campbell has been a good Premier for the province. He has accomplished a lot, and really cleaned house after the disasterous NDP of the 1990s. It's sad to see him go, but least it's on his own accord.

Thanks Gordo! :)

#20 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 03 November 2010 - 05:11 PM

The Liberals could have Kermit the frog as leader and I would still vote for them. It will be a cold day in hell before I vote NDP. Don't people remember the late 90's under the NDP?

Hahaha thats so true. Look at them now, do you really think its Carole running the show or.....Mo?

The NDP remind me of Iranian politics, Carole James is the public mouthpiece like Ahmadinejad and Mo and the rest of the union gang are behind the scenes really running the show like the Mullahs.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users