Victoria Mayor Dean Fortin's home and car vandalized

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#1 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 05 November 2010 - 07:00 AM

News just in, people overnight vandalized his house, the CBC report says that 'militants' have claimed responsiblity

#2 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 07:02 AM

I agree this deserves its own thread and I will repeat what I said elsewhere:

Mayor Dean Fortin's house and car were vandalized last night by someone protesting the crackdown on Pandora Green camping. The house and car were spray painted and a window on the car was broken.

This is cowardly and completely unacceptable and the person(s) should be tracked down and punished.

If someone disagrees with the actions of government working on behalf of its citizens there are ways to protest without terrorizing a man and his family.

#3 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 07:04 AM

Vandals have spray-painted the home of Victoria's Mayor Dean Fortin, in an attempt to draw attention to the city's homelessness problem, CBC News has learned.

Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/ca...l#ixzz14Q8dLOsN

#4 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 07:40 AM

I don't believe the homeless had anything to do with this senseless act. The people responsible are probably lazy activists who don't have anything worthwhile to do.

#5 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,235 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 08:00 AM

Unbelievable. This is completely unacceptable in Victoria or anywhere. I hope they track these cowards down and throw them in jail.

#6 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 08:02 AM

"Homeless Advocates" always do wonders for the levels of sympathy the average person has for the homeless.

I hate Fortin but I'd rather see his political reputation and career smashed up than his car.
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#7 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 08:16 AM

Vandals attack Victoria Mayor Dean Fortin's house and car while family slept
By Sarah Petrescu, timescolonist.com November 5, 2010 9:03 AM

Read more: http://www.timescolo...l#ixzz14QQk3vwq

#8 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 09:42 AM

The Committee to End Homelessness issued a statement this morning, saying it was not involved with the incident.

“We can see the reasons for these attacks but do not favour them,” the statement issued by Phil Lyons said.

“When there are attacks on the homeless like those by City Council forcing desperate people off Pandora Green , this is an expected reaction.”

Read more: http://www.timescolo...l#ixzz14QkooJTi

That's a weasel response. Two children live in that house. There are no excuses for this.

I was one of the people advocating that we break up the tent city that was the cause of much social disorder in Harris Green along with Councillors, City staff, social advocates and residents. If anyone disagrees with that decision, stand up and be a man and contact me at rwrandall (at) hotmail (dot) com.

#9 JohnN

JohnN
  • 2,172 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 10:07 AM

Yeah, looks like the work of activists who presume to know what the homeless want. According to the Times Colonist story this morning, Committee to End Homelessness leader Phil Lyons insulted homeless people with his response that , “When there are attacks on the homeless like those by city council forcing desperate people off Pandora Green , this is an expected reaction.” Reaction by whom?? Probably not the homeless taking spray cans and a crow-bar to Fortin's house, but more likely the fascist activists. Lyons just excuses the incident saying his group doesn't "favor" the tactic, but the blackshirts know that they can ramp up the action by throwing some rocks next time - not just at Fortin, but at other councillors too.
:)

#10 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 05 November 2010 - 10:19 AM

If I was the mayor my response to this would be to put the hotels back on the market and tell the responsible groups that they are now on their own to find shelter.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#11 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 10:29 AM

That's a weasel response. Two children live in that house. There are no excuses for this.

I was one of the people advocating that we break up the tent city that was the cause of much social disorder in Harris Green along with Councillors, City staff, social advocates and residents. If anyone disagrees with that decision, stand up and be a man and contact me at rwrandall (at) hotmail (dot) com.

I guess that if a supporter of the Mayor took a baseball bat and cracked open Phil Lyons' head then that would be an "expected response" as well?

The Committee to End Homelessness just lost my support.

#12 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 05 November 2010 - 10:39 AM

They're losers, that profess to believe in a cause but are actually there for the attention. This isnt over, it'll happen again, now they know the reaction, they'll try and target something else.

#13 Sue Woods

Sue Woods
  • 621 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 12:06 PM

Never mind. Edited my thoughts.

#14 Yippy Ki A

Yippy Ki A
  • 38 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 12:25 PM

Ugly statement - and uncalled for. Especially today.

Why? Houses and commercial properties are targeted and vandalized every day in Victoria. Cars have their windows smashed and are broken into every day. Children in homes and schools around Victoria are frightened every day by what's going on around them. Why should dean and his family be spared the reality of this city?

#15 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 02:00 PM

Yipppy Ki A, while many of us have been victims of petty crimes and vandalism, the blatant difference in this situation is that the crime was targeted.

Home invasions occur largely because of opportunity (i.e., door unlocked, window unsecured, concealed property, etc) and car break-ins typically occur because goods or money are visible and, again, an opportunity to steal something presents itself.

I'm sure the mayor's family are as cognizant of poverty and crime issues as are most families in the city. The mayor does not live in an exclusive enclave and in fact he resides in a neighbourhood that is pretty average by Victoria standards, complete with the realities of petty crimes our region contends with.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#16 JohnN

JohnN
  • 2,172 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 02:06 PM

VV: The VV program has edited-out the profanities that were in the original article, website below.

The unedited text of vandal's message to Mayor Fortin

Times Colonist
NOVEMBER 5, 2010
2:06 PM

Editor’s note: Contains profanities

This is the unedited email sent to the CBC on behalf of the people who vandalized Mayor Dean Fortin’s house sometime before 6:30 a.m. today.

Mayor Fortin’s Home Attacked

OCCUPIED COAST SALISH TERRITORIES

The City has declared war on the poor, and we’re fighting back!

On the morning of Friday November 5th, militants painted three messages for Victoria mayor Dean Fortin on his XXXX Victor St. house and car: “PG” (in reference to the street community legislated off Pandora Green), “72” (for the 72 shelter beds cut in Victoria this week), and “ACAB” (All Cops Are Bastards — including bylaw officers who beat street people). Fatcat Fortin was also left with a shattered window and shattered middle class peace.

http://www.timescolo...5061/story.html

[Message edited to conform to copyrighted content posting guidelines]
:)

#17 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 02:31 PM

This incident is pretty frightening.

I can only imagine what may have happened had the "militants" been confronted by Fortin or a member of his family.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#18 mysage

mysage
  • 515 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 02:50 PM

VV: The VV program has edited-out the profanities that were in the original article, website below.

The unedited text of vandal's message to Mayor Fortin

Times Colonist
NOVEMBER 5, 2010
2:06 PM

Editor’s note: Contains profanities

This is the unedited email sent to the CBC on behalf of the people who vandalized Mayor Dean Fortin’s house sometime before 6:30 a.m. today.

Mayor Fortin’s Home Attacked

OCCUPIED COAST SALISH TERRITORIES

The City has declared war on the poor, and we’re fighting back!

On the morning of Friday November 5th, militants painted three messages for Victoria mayor Dean Fortin on his XXXX Victor St. house and car: “PG” (in reference to the street community legislated off Pandora Green), “72” (for the 72 shelter beds cut in Victoria this week), and “ACAB” (All Cops Are Bastards — including bylaw officers who beat street people). Fatcat Fortin was also left with a shattered window and shattered middle class peace.

http://www.timescolo...5061/story.html

[Message edited to conform to copyrighted content posting guidelines]

"Occupied Coast Salish Territories" - from what militants have I heard this before?

#19 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 03:08 PM

^Careful.

#20 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 05 November 2010 - 03:39 PM

^Careful.

Hahahaha too true!!!

Most of this type of vandalism, damage to property etc is performed by a select group of agitators. We know that, the cops know that, its not a group of 'homeless' transients. Lets wait and see what the Police investigation will turn up.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users