Photo

Victoria Mayor Dean Fortin's home and car vandalized

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#21 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 03:48 PM

"Occupied Coast Salish Territories" - from what militants have I heard this before?

Anyone can send an email. The meaning of the various phrases was spelt out in the TC by 8AM this morning.

#22 martini

martini
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 04:28 PM

I don't believe the homeless had anything to do with this senseless act. The people responsible are probably lazy activists who don't have anything worthwhile to do.

I agree. I think the truly homeless have more important things on their agendas than committing a senseless act such as this. These weren't activists...they are vandals and cowards.
I'm actually quite disturbed at the line crossed here.

#23 Sue Woods

Sue Woods
  • 621 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 06:02 PM

Why? Houses and commercial properties are targeted and vandalized every day in Victoria. Cars have their windows smashed and are broken into every day. Children in homes and schools around Victoria are frightened every day by what's going on around them. Why should dean and his family be spared the reality of this city?

I deleted that post (where I said "comments un-called for") shortly after posting and apoligize to everyone for causing a fragment in the thread. Anyway, since you saw it and responded before it was deleted - to explain - I was not referring to the grafitti or what happened today. I was responding to a comment further up the thread in which someone said they would rather see Dean's career and reputation destroyed then his car. I am sometimes too quick to keyboard. Everyone has a right to their opinions whether I might agree with them or not.

#24 OTRA17

OTRA17
  • 18 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 06:28 PM

Why? Houses and commercial properties are targeted and vandalized every day in Victoria. Cars have their windows smashed and are broken into every day. Children in homes and schools around Victoria are frightened every day by what's going on around them. Why should dean and his family be spared the reality of this city?

Why in the world should anyone????

#25 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 07:39 PM

Same sort of people that did ridiculous crap that only turned people against them like with the Olympics protesters... same sort of language too.
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#26 mysage

mysage
  • 515 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 07:39 PM

Anyone can send an email. The meaning of the various phrases was spelt out in the TC by 8AM this morning.

I don't think for one moment that it was the people who are actually homeless that did this. They struggle each day just trying to survive.

Any cause will do for Victorias waanabe social activists that hide behind their masks at their rallies and creep around in the darkness with their spray cans.

Anyone want to bet that when they are caught we will find out that this isn't the only their only "cause" - anything for attention.

#27 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 07:56 PM

Most of this type of vandalism, damage to property etc is performed by a select group of agitators.

Which now appear to have supporters on this forum that agree with them. These are the mindless few who have nothing of value to add to society.

#28 martini

martini
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 08:37 PM

I don't think for one moment that it was the people who are actually homeless that did this. They struggle each day just trying to survive.

Any cause will do for Victorias waanabe social activists that hide behind their masks at their rallies and creep around in the darkness with their spray cans.

Anyone want to bet that when they are caught we will find out that this isn't the only their only "cause" - anything for attention.

This is what I was saying in the other thread before realizing there was a dedicated thread here.
Despicable. Crossed a line that never should have been crossed.

#29 martini

martini
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 08:46 PM

I deleted that post (where I said "comments un-called for") shortly after posting and apoligize to everyone for causing a fragment in the thread. Anyway, since you saw it and responded before it was deleted - to explain - I was not referring to the grafitti or what happened today. I was responding to a comment further up the thread in which someone said they would rather see Dean's career and reputation destroyed then his car. I am sometimes too quick to keyboard. Everyone has a right to their opinions whether I might agree with them or not.

I appreciate your honesty.
This is where it is obvious a public forum can work wonders or be a blunder.
As a voter I have to see the latter.

#30 Sue Woods

Sue Woods
  • 621 posts

Posted 06 November 2010 - 12:53 AM

I appreciate your honesty.
This is where it is obvious a public forum can work wonders or be a blunder. As a voter I have to see the latter.

Always tricky when you edit a post and then it gets lost in a misunderstanding.

I feel terrible for everyone impacted by today's events - and hope this is nipped in the bud.

#31 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 10:56 PM

Great article by Tom Hawthorne in the Globe:

Self-proclaimed militants issued a communiqué claiming credit. It is a document of childish invective and witless sloganeering about it being “time to take the fight directly to the pig politicians and give them a taste of their own medicine.”

The mayor is called “fatcat Fortin” and a fascist.

Here’s a history lesson for homeless-by-choice political activists – attacking a family home under cover of darkness was a tactic favoured by fascist street thugs 70 years ago.

"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#32 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 06:37 AM

Anybody with a brain in their head would have realized such actions against the mayor will evoke the opposite of sympathy from the public.
And fatcat Fortin? Living in a modest home, in an average neighborhood, housing himself and three other people. Wow! He's living the life of luxury!

I think using the term 'militants' to refer to these idiots is giving them more credit than they deserve. Does spray painting walls and smashing windows make you an organized force to be taken seriously? Buying a can of spray paint and finding a rock on the side of the road. Talk about highly organized!

I know that if I was the victim of this, I would feel threatened and take it seriously. But for others to give them a status as an organized group, I think is only a compliment to their idiocy.

Where will these masterminds strike again, I wonder? Pee on Madoff's front lawn? Toilet paper Hunter's house? I know what I'd be worried about: the burning bag of dog $hit! *shudder*

#33 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 09 November 2010 - 06:59 AM

I know what I'd be worried about: the burning bag of dog $hit! *shudder*

That all depends on what the dog ate the night before.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#34 martini

martini
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 08:07 AM

That all depends on what the dog ate the night before.

Or kitty poop might send a stronger message.

#35 JohnN

JohnN
  • 2,172 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 01:05 PM

Victoria's anarchist-vandals are out to get Fortin and others who don't do just what the black-bloc anarchists want. Several anarchist groups here could provide those vandals. All get satisfaction and pride from physical destruction of symbols of capitalism. Vandalising -graffiti-painting is the kind of thing that earns some brownie points - especially if it gets into newspapers - with PHOTOS!

Camas Books is where these anarchists can be found, spouting their favourite slogans -like that of Camas Books itself, which is "Injustice is not anonymous, it has a name and an address". How is that for a GREAT clue as to who dumped on Fortin's car and house??

See online vandalizing information that Camas Books offers their anarchist vandals: http://www.camas.ca/?q=node/7
:)

#36 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,483 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 01:14 PM

Interesting.

Check out this quote from the store's About Us page:

The Camas Infoshop is a not-for-profit and collectively-run infoshop, bookstore and autonomous space located on Lekwungen Territory in Victoria, British Columbia, Canada.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#37 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 07:34 AM

http://vancouver.med...ewsrelease/5086

Never heard of this book store but the police seem to think they're involved.
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#38 Fresca

Fresca
  • 33 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 07:55 AM

http://vancouver.med...ewsrelease/5086

Never heard of this book store but the police seem to think they're involved.

Bingo.

Unfortunately, I know a couple of people involved in that community and to say it's a bizarre group would be an understatement.

#39 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 10 November 2010 - 09:16 AM

Had a good chuckle reading this article about the student riots in the UK. This is like the Daily Onion and is tongue in cheek but also makes a point.

http://www.thedailym...k-201011103243/

#40 JohnN

JohnN
  • 2,172 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 10:34 AM

Interesting that Victoria's Janine Bandcroft, known as a media-hub for many left-wing issues, has a theory that the Fortin vandals may have been police, and she pointed to past police attempts at being "agents provocateurs".

Interesting - anything is possible including that theory, but I'm more inclined to another theory, that Fortin and the fringe-advocates of homeless like Phil Lyons' crew Coalition to End Homelessness, derive a net benefit from the vandalism incident. There is a cost - some people will be turned off helping homeless by the incident, but the net benefit derives from Fortin and Lyons position as being "moderates", whom the Chamber of Commerce, BC government, and Victoria Foundation can deal with. Probably unspoken is Fortin and Lyons promise that these centre-right institutions can deal with them - but not with the extremists. So support the advocates who aren't extremists.

I think its been something happening after some arsons and related vandalism, where moderate eco-advocates derived further establishment support when the extremists - such as Earth First! - did some tree-spiking in BC and arson in Washington State.

Link to Bandcroft comment in Globe and Mail:
http://sitelife.theg...7a-25a385123fe2
:)

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users