• Please log in to reply
111 replies to this topic

#1 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 17,931 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 06 November 2010 - 09:37 PM

Don't forget to roll back.. er.. no, that's a Walmart trademark. Don't forget to turn back the clock one hour tonight (or Sunday morning)!

And clock change time is also a good time to lick the 9V battery in your smoke detector to make sure it still works. Or something.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#2 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 10,154 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 05:49 AM

^ Don't lick it......flick it.

What Seb is trying to say is this is the day that you should replace the 9 volt battery in your smoke alarm, if yours is strictly battery powered . Most smoke alarms are the 120 volt variety that runs off of house power. Some smoke alarms are 120 volt with a 9 volt battery back up so they still work during a power failure.

So give yours a test today....have a look at it, get to know it, push the test button if it has one or light a piece of string and give it a smoke test.

If you have any questions...post them here.

Oh dear I just looked at my watch...it says 10 minutes to 7....I guess it's 5:50 AM if I set my clock back.

#3 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 17,931 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 07 November 2010 - 08:17 AM

have a look at it, get to know it, push the test button.

Sounds very romantic, especially if you're licking it too.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#4 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 10,154 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 08:21 AM

This is a good page about smoke alarms

http://www.firesafet...afet/safact.htm

#5 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 17,931 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 07 November 2010 - 08:50 AM

Oh you safety people are always so serious :P

#6 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 45,361 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 10:14 AM

Silly me. I woke up and thought the clock on my iPhone needed changing, which it didn't because it's so smart, and proceeded to change the clock "back" to where it was the day before.

Nice.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#7 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 17,931 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 08 November 2010 - 09:16 AM

I like that we have more sun in the morning. We should lengthen Standard Time again. President Bush obviously wasn't a morning person.

#8 Baro

Baro
  • 4,313 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 09:54 AM

I changed all the clocks in my house except my cell phone which was on auto-update. My alarm went off at 5am... oh well I got some more gaming time in before work.....
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#9 phx

phx
  • 1,413 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 07:44 PM

We should use solar time, and set sunrise to be 8:00 AM.

#10 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 07:52 PM

Next spring we should split the difference and move the clock ahead one half hour, and leave it there.

Forever!

#11 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 08:06 PM

Hear, hear.

- Signed: not a fan of this switching around :-(

PS: I was very disappointed to learn that Benjamin Franklin is apparently to blame for Daylight Savings Time. And to think I always liked Ben! ...Those darned Enlightenment Founding Fathers...

Well, couldn't we just leave it on DST and forget about Standard Time then? The annual Spring Forward effort always makes me feel like I've got jet lag - without the benefit of actually having traveled anywhere.
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#12 martini

martini
  • 2,444 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 10:15 PM

Hear, hear.

- Signed: not a fan of this switching around :-(

PS: I was very disappointed to learn that Benjamin Franklin is apparently to blame for Daylight Savings Time. And to think I always liked Ben! ...Those darned Enlightenment Founding Fathers...

Well, couldn't we just leave it on DST and forget about Standard Time then? The annual Spring Forward effort always makes me feel like I've got jet lag - without the benefit of actually having traveled anywhere.

Totally. Exactly.

#13 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 45,361 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 12:36 PM

At 2AM November 3rd we'll be entering Pacific Standard Time, which means you should roll your clock back one hour.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#14 pherthyl

pherthyl
  • 2,209 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 12:53 PM

The rollback always screws me over. I'll stay up late, thinking well it's not really 11PM, it's only 10PM.
Well it's not really 12AM, it's only 11.
Well it's not really 1AM it's only 12AM.

Well **** now it's 4 in the morning which is late regardless of the change.

#15 pherthyl

pherthyl
  • 2,209 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 12:54 PM

But I do like the manual change back of the time. It's like a free hour that you can decide when you want to use throughout the weekend.

Of course the iPhone took that small pleasure away by automatically doing the rollback.

#16 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 03:26 PM

I'm leaving mine, you only have to put them forward again next year.

#17 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 17,931 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 02 November 2013 - 03:55 PM

I'm leaving mine, you only have to put them forward again next year.

I've been looking at the little clock on my thermostat all summer and adding an hour in my head. I have to remember to stop adding an hour now...

#18 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 10:02 PM

Why stop at getting rid of DST? This writer says America should get rid of the two middle time zones.

Why stick with a system designed for commerce in 1883? In reality, America already functions on fewer than four time zones.

http://www.theatlant...-fix-it/281075/
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#19 James Bay walker

James Bay walker

CustomUserTitle

• 554 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 03 November 2013 - 04:52 AM

Thank goodness for PCs that automatically do this for us (saves having to figure out which way to change our clocks by an hour).

jbw

#20 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 1,620 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 10:49 AM

Seems to me every electronic device should come with a Daylight Saving Time switch. On in the spring, off again in the autumn.
Don't be so sure.:cool:

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

To advertise on VibrantVictoria, call us at 250-884-0589.