It's time to change your clocks!

• Please log in to reply
166 replies to this topic

#161 FogPub

FogPub
  • 366 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 10 September 2019 - 10:42 PM

A whopping 93% of the 223,273 British Columbians who responded to the Province's DST survey responded that they would prefer a move to permanent DST.

News release: https://news.gov.bc....PREM0103-001748

Final report: https://engage.gov.b...inal-Report.pdf

Which is quite misleading, as the only options given were to keep the status quo or to move to permanent DST.

Some of us would like us to move to permanent Standard (i.e. winter, NOT Daylight) time.  In other words, change the clocks back an hour this fall and never touch 'em again.  So what if it gets dark an hour earlier in the summer.

But we weren't given that as a choice in their survey, so the better of the two poorer choices we were given was permanent DST.

Edited by FogPub, 10 September 2019 - 10:43 PM.

• Nparker likes this

#162 kxl

kxl
  • 83 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 04:54 AM

Just for the record, it’s daylight-saving time, not “savings”.
  • Nparker likes this

#163 kxl

kxl
  • 83 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 04:57 AM

Which is quite misleading, as the only options given were to keep the status quo or to move to permanent DST.

Some of us would like us to move to permanent Standard (i.e. winter, NOT Daylight) time. In other words, change the clocks back an hour this fall and never touch 'em again. So what if it gets dark an hour earlier in the summer.

But we weren't given that as a choice in their survey, so the better of the two poorer choices we were given was permanent DST.

Fewer choices increases the probability of a majority decision (refer to “BC proportional representation referendum” as unsuccessful counter example.)
  • Nparker likes this

#164 rjag

rjag
  • 5,265 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 11 September 2019 - 06:37 AM

Some of us would like us to move to permanent Standard (i.e. winter, NOT Daylight) time.  In other words, change the clocks back an hour this fall and never touch 'em again.  So what if it gets dark an hour earlier in the summer.

Yup I would imagine folks wouldnt be very happy going to standard time with the sun coming up at 4AM in June

• shoeflack likes this

#165 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 1,803 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 08:23 AM

Studies have indicated that it is safer to have the added daylight at the end of the day rather than the beginning. Fewer accidents it seems. I think that's why they chose a constant Daylight Saving Time, rather than Standard.

• tedward likes this
Don't be so sure.:cool:

#166 lanforod

lanforod
  • 7,258 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 11 September 2019 - 06:51 PM

as i child i always appreciated dark night after dinner at like 6pm.  so we had an hour of two to go out on our bikes with lights on.

With creepers out in the corners of Gordon Head, that ain't happening these days.

#167 grantpalin

grantpalin
  • 549 posts

Posted 30 September 2019 - 11:01 PM

B.C. set to move forward with year-round daylight saving time

The B.C. government is planning to bring in legislation to move to daylight saving time year-round, Premier John Horgan says, but when and if that takes effect still depends on what U.S. states decide.

Horgan made the comment after a meeting with Yukon Premier Sandy Silver in Whitehorse Monday. The two premiers agreed that it’s important that West Coast jurisdictions stay synchronized in their time zones, and Silver said he will watch B.C.’s progress closely.

“I believe that if the West Coast moves in lockstep we’ll be better off,” Silver said.

Horgan said he is going to Oregon and Washington this week to meet with the governors whose state legislatures have already passed legislation to adopt daylight saving time permanently. B.C. legislation is expected to be tabled in the fall session that begins Oct. 7, he said.

• rjag likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users