Photo

CRD Weekly Water Watch 2010-present: Sooke & Goldstream lakes CRD reservoir levels

• Please log in to reply
748 replies to this topic

#561 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,711 posts

Posted 03 May 2019 - 09:13 AM

I have lived in Victoria for more than 40 years and there has never been a time when reservoir levels have ever come close to dropping so low that we were in danger of not having enough potable water. I do recall a number of times when water had to be allowed to spill out of the reservoir in the winter.

#562 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,144 posts

Posted 03 May 2019 - 09:38 AM

Wait for it.

We haven’t finished building yet. We are in the programming stage. Reservoirs are supposed to overflow when they are full. Lets the fish have some.

#563 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 03 May 2019 - 01:42 PM

I've said this before and I will say it again, water restrictions are also partly there in place to limit the amount of water infrastructure needed.  What do you think the cost of increasing the height of the dam is plus installing a few 60 inch steel pipes including a few 4,000ish HP pump stations is?

#564 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,711 posts

Posted 03 May 2019 - 01:46 PM

So the reservoir is as large now as it will ever need to be to service the needs of the CRD?

#565 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 04 May 2019 - 07:13 AM

So the reservoir is as large now as it will ever need to be to service the needs of the CRD?

Its' likely the reservoir will remain at its current capacity for many decades to come, but the CRD is actively proceeding with their plan to introduce new sources of water to "top up" the Sooke reservoir. There are many creeks and rivers over in the Leech portion of the watershed, currently untapped for drinking water. The CRD's long term plan is to bring water from somewhere in the Leech over into the Sooke reservoir.

As I noted in an earlier post, there is an unused tunnel cored from the Leech to the Sooke, with the eventual intent to use that tunnel to move water from one valley over to the next.

But the general buzz is that the additional water source won't be needed for at least 50 years, if indeed it's ever needed. Most of the restrictions on water use are designed to impact something other than lack of water in the reservoir (lots of folks posit that it's all to limit or regulate urban expansion, or to ingrain water conservation habits on the populace as a matter of general practice, even though they're not actually required).

#566 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,507 posts

Posted 04 May 2019 - 07:18 AM

It’s a mechanism by which development is controlled.

Keeping the reservoir in a precarious situation (it’s not actually, but the verbiage used around the reservoir makes it appear as such, the watering restrictions, and constant reminders of “drought” and climate change, etc) helps substantiate why expanding the urban footprint is a no-go, despite the fact it’s perfectly feasible given how small our physical footprint is and how much water we actually have.

So instead what we have in areas that aren’t allowed to tap into municipal water is a fleet of water trucks tapping into the water supply via hydrants and delivering that water to customers. Because, you know, that’s the way to do it during a climate emergency.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#567 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,924 posts

Posted 04 May 2019 - 07:24 AM

I think the truth is that so little of the water we use needs to be drinking quality.

#568 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 04 May 2019 - 07:58 AM

WTF?

So did they just have some really big foresight or was this a mistake?

#569 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 04 May 2019 - 08:07 AM

A bit of both, and it's complicated.

They cored it with the intent that it be used, but they quickly discovered that the Leech River is an incredibly wild river, and therefore (when it's running fast) it has very high turbidity. The water is so turbid, that introducing that turbid water into the Sooke Reservoir would (and indeed did during testing) compromise all the clean water already contained in the reservoir.

There are solutions to the above issue, but with costs in the tens of millions of dollars, and with not really needing the water for at least 50 years (if ever), the Leech extension to the CRD Watershed is currently more of a land buffer than it is an actual water source (although the Leech does contain an immense amount of water, and those multi million dollar solutions would work ... so it's presumably there if we ever need it).

The tunnel is closed and inactive currently, such that there's no capability to "open" it back up anytime soon. It's essentially been blocked at both ends ... but the fundamental large scale engineering portion of the project is still there, waiting to be used if it's determined additional water is required.

• Nparker and todd like this

#570 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 04 May 2019 - 09:11 AM

Maybe we could put some bike lanes in there for the time being?

#571 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 04 May 2019 - 09:32 AM

I've said this before and I will say it again, water restrictions are also partly there in place to limit the amount of water infrastructure needed. What do you think the cost of increasing the height of the dam is plus installing a few 60 inch steel pipes including a few 4,000ish HP pump stations is?

I’m willing to throw in a few bucks how much will it cost to use my sprinkler at 5 or 6 PM (I often find that’s a better time to water as per the fungal growth/plant disease)?

Maybe 4-5PM additionally before the water rush-hour?

Can we really not get at least for the time being one more day of lawn watering per week?

Edited by todd, 04 May 2019 - 09:57 AM.

#572 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 04 May 2019 - 10:38 AM

Is there a water a rush-hour issue because I can water with a sprinkler right up till 10 AM? Which is just not going to happen by the way.

Edited by todd, 04 May 2019 - 10:40 AM.

#573 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,344 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 04 May 2019 - 12:45 PM

Todd isn't it better to water in early morning rather than evening to avoid the fungi and moss?

#574 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 04 May 2019 - 01:03 PM

Todd isn't it better to water in early morning rather than evening to avoid the fungi and moss?

I have morning time responsibilities.

#575 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,924 posts

Posted 04 May 2019 - 01:37 PM

use a timer and a drip system.

10am idea is that you do not water during high evaporation mid day.

#576 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 04 May 2019 - 03:24 PM

use a timer and a drip system.

Got some drip irrigation just not feasible everywhere.

#577 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 04 May 2019 - 07:07 PM

It’s a mechanism by which development is controlled.

Keeping the reservoir in a precarious situation (it’s not actually, but the verbiage used around the reservoir makes it appear as such, the watering restrictions, and constant reminders of “drought” and climate change, etc) helps substantiate why expanding the urban footprint is a no-go, despite the fact it’s perfectly feasible given how small our physical footprint is and how much water we actually have.

So instead what we have in areas that aren’t allowed to tap into municipal water is a fleet of water trucks tapping into the water supply via hydrants and delivering that water to customers. Because, you know, that’s the way to do it during a climate emergency.

Never heard of that as a design engineer for a major water board in Canada, although not Victoria.  Do you have any back up to this for the CRD?

Correct

#578 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,507 posts

Posted 05 May 2019 - 06:01 AM

Which part?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#579 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 05 May 2019 - 06:09 AM

limiting development/expansion

#580 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,507 posts

Posted 05 May 2019 - 06:35 AM

Oh, just read the minutes of CRD meetings when subdivision proposals seek to have the water lines extended. There was a huge stink about extending water to Bear Mountain, too.

No water = no density.
  • Matt R. likes this

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users