Photo

THE PASSMORE BUILDING - 1122 View Street

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 slinkyo

slinkyo
  • 155 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 09:07 AM

I'd like to know if anyone remembers this building and if there is a story behind it.
I lived there in the early 80's and left for Vancouver.
Drove by there once a few years ago and it was gone :(
The location now is now a parking lot - part of the BMW dealership.
It was a very unique building with an open terrarium? in the centre.
Stairs up to another floor - old fashioned toilets with the old kind of black seats with claw foot tubs and old fashioned sinks. A ton of character.
The picture is taken in about 1983.
Any info as to why they called it "The Passmore" would be interested.
I vaguely remember is was a men's tenement building, but don't know the reason behind it. According to the City records it was built in 1910 and also was attached in some way to 1124 View Street.

The view now:
http://maps.google.c...w&cbp=12,0,,0,5

Thanks! Chrissie:confused:

#2 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 09:48 AM

That's a very interesting building and I love that sign. Do you have any more photos?
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#3 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 10:39 AM

^ This might answer your question

http://www.speedwayv...eAre.aspx?lng=2

Interesting to note that there is a Volkswagen in your picture.

Bruce Passmore lived on Claremont Ave on the switchback on the hill towards Cordova Bay Road.

I am guessing that the Passmore Building, the old Speedway Auto Sales, the BMW dealership (property may have been sold when they moved to Douglas Street) and the Passmore family are all related.

#4 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 10:51 AM

^Very interesting theory.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#5 slinkyo

slinkyo
  • 155 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 10:55 AM

That totally makes sense! I still wonder what it was originally built for in 1910. BTW that's my VW bug :)

#6 slinkyo

slinkyo
  • 155 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 10:57 AM

the original date on the City of Victoria's records show a building built and the address being 1122-1124. hmmm, perhaps it wasn't the Passmore and maybe it had been torn down and something else built after?

#7 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 11:01 AM

^ I'm not old enough to help you with your 1910 question. Maybe there is a Passmore at Douglas Volkswagon that has more to the story. Bruce had a daughter named "Fawn" and a son named Roy.

#8 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 01:23 PM

The Art Decoishness if the sign makes me think it was building in the late 20s at the earliest.

#9 phx

phx
  • 1,854 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 07:38 PM

That's a very interesting building and I love that sign. Do you have any more photos?

What do you find interesting about it? Aside from the sign, it's stucco, a few windows, and a door.

#10 slinkyo

slinkyo
  • 155 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 12:44 PM

Just a little paint and a bit of old canvas..
:D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users