Photo

Are you voting "yes" or "no" in the referendum? (Results are kept private)

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

Poll: How will you vote in the referendum? (1 member(s) have cast votes)

How will you vote in the referendum?

1. City of Victoria resident: Voting YES to borrow $49.2M (10 votes [27.03%])

Percentage of vote: 27.03%

2. City of Victoria resident: Voting NO (18 votes [48.65%])

Percentage of vote: 48.65%

3. NON-City of Victoria resident: Support YES (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

4. NON-City of Victoria resident: Support NO (9 votes [24.32%])

Percentage of vote: 24.32%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,453 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 01:51 PM

There are five options in this poll. Please read instructions below to ensure your vote is counted correctly.

In order to give everyone a chance to participate, non-Victoria residents (which excludes those who own property in Victoria and will vote as property owners) can vote by selecting the appropriate choices. Please follow instructions below.

If a City of Victoria resident and/or property owner within the City of Victoria, choose from options 1 OR 2.

Not a City of Victoria resident, and not a property owner within the City of Victoria (i.e. not entitled to vote in Victoria), choose from options 3 OR 4.

Poll results are kept private. Anyone wishing to comment please do so in this thread.

Only registered members are able to vote!

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 01:53 PM

Victoria resident: NO

#3 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,585 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 02:27 PM

Victoria resident: YES

#4 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 03:18 PM

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#5 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 03:21 PM

Absolutely no, engineering its self has said they've only done limited engineering and cursory geo-tech work, and they haven't even looked at other options. I don't know if the bridge needs replacing and neither does council, not enough info has been collected and the info that has been is based on assumptions and extremely limited engineering.
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#6 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 19 November 2010 - 03:30 PM

Victoria resident - No, I think everyone has heard my reasons

#7 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,001 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 03:38 PM

My initial thought was that the vote was doomed to failure since generally only people with strong opinions one way or another would bother to vote at all and most of those strong opinions are on the no side.

I am hearing from a lot of folks that they are voting yes simply because the Mayor has scared them into believing that he will borrow the money and drive up their taxes 14% if they don't support him.

Victoria resident still voting no.

#8 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 03:44 PM

The mayor has successfully bullied the city. If conversations around town and facebook is any measure, a lot of people are voting yes simply because "If we don't vote yes Dean says he'll raise taxes!"
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#9 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,453 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 03:48 PM

"Successfully" will depend on the final outcome of the referendum.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#10 North Shore

North Shore
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 03:53 PM

Non-resident, but support 'no'.
Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?

#11 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 04:02 PM

Not that 14 votes is anything to base anything on but the split right now is about where I see it ending up 30-35% Yes 65-70% No

#12 weirdie

weirdie
  • 497 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 04:25 PM

#13 t-mitch4

t-mitch4
  • 39 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 04:32 PM

Former Victoria resident. Long time "lurker"
I voted no.

Tom

#14 Lover Fighter

Lover Fighter
  • 653 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 04:48 PM

Non-resident, and I chose the 'no' option. I don't support replacement of the bridge for a multitude of reasons, but I don't believe voting no will halt the bridge's replacement. At this point, I think the referendum can be interpreted as a vote of non confidence, and voting 'no' simply shows that you do not support current council policy.

#15 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 19 November 2010 - 05:29 PM

The Yes side needs a lot of votes to overcome the built in lead for the No side.

#16 R0ark

R0ark
  • 319 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 05:58 PM

Victoria Resident: No

#17 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 06:15 PM

...but I don't believe voting no will halt the bridge's replacement. At this point, I think the referendum can be interpreted as a vote of non confidence, and voting 'no' simply shows that you do not support current council policy.

I think voting NO will mean that this decision will be put over to the next council, and next year's vote will be a good time to clean some house at council.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#18 phx

phx
  • 1,860 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 06:21 PM

Mike, you should explain in the instructions that people in Vic West are considered Victoria residents for the purpose of this referendum and get to vote also. There seems to be some confusion over that.

#19 Mr_E_Squirrel

Mr_E_Squirrel
  • 589 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 06:52 PM

City of Victoria resident YES

#20 manuel

manuel
  • 595 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 10:06 PM

Yes.
"I know nothing"

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users