* * * * - 3 votes

Victoria retail thread: retailer news, comings and goings

• Please log in to reply
8289 replies to this topic

#4961 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,668 posts

Posted 05 November 2018 - 03:29 PM

What sort of contraption are they using to liquidate the furniture? Must be noisy.

They are boiling it into a mush. It generates a lot of heat but isn't especially noisy.

#4962 aastra

aastra
  • 20,738 posts

Posted 05 November 2018 - 03:47 PM

Good to know. Thanks!

• Nparker likes this

#4963 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 05 November 2018 - 03:57 PM

The Bombay furniture store at Hillside Mall is going out of business and liquidating its inventory now.

I have to say if you can't do well in retail right now there is something seriously wrong.  Everyone is flush with disposable income with the current economy

#4964 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 05 November 2018 - 04:35 PM

Bombay Company was a big deal here in the 1980s. It's been going downhill the last decade as people move away from traditional toward more modern styles or IKEA. Plus, their store at Hillside was looking cramped, cluttered and cheap.

#4965 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 05 November 2018 - 04:54 PM

The furniture at Bombay is very traditional and, I would say, not optimized for people living in spaces smaller than SFHs (condos, apartments, etc).

#4966 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 05 November 2018 - 05:10 PM

^Exactly. Plus it was kinda cheap quality. People looking for high-quality traditional are going to Sagers or Standard. Of course, if I could afford it I'd go down to Rock Bay and buy everything at Gabriel Ross.

• Matt R. likes this

#4967 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,668 posts

Posted 05 November 2018 - 05:13 PM

The furniture at Bombay is very traditional and, I would say, not optimized for people living in spaces smaller than SFHs (condos, apartments, etc).

The quality of many of their products improved over the years and as someone who several BC pieces in his condo I can assure you they fit quite nicely.

#4968 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 05 November 2018 - 06:58 PM

Everyone is flush with disposable income with the current economy

:orly:

• zenbunny, lanforod, A Girl is No one and 2 others like this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#4969 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 06 November 2018 - 06:35 AM

I was in Lowe's the other day for the first time and last time. The store was dead as a door nail.

BOUCHERVILLE, Que. -- Lowe's Companies Inc. says it plans to close 31 Canadian stores and other locations as part of a plan to focus on its most profitable operations.

The home improvement company said Monday in addition to closing 27 stores, it will also shutter two regional support centres in Mississauga, Ont. and St. John's, N.L., a truss plant in St. John's, N.L. and a block plant in Kamloops, B.C. as part of a plan to focus instead on the most profitable parts of its business.

Among the 27 stores set to close by the end of January are nine in Ontario, nine in Quebec, six in Newfoundland and Labrador, two in Alberta and one in British Columbia.

https://www.ctvnews....uring-1.4163550

#4970 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,462 posts

Posted 06 November 2018 - 06:40 AM

The only BC store closing is in New West.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4971 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,336 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 06 November 2018 - 08:32 AM

^funny isn't that the first BC store too?

#4972 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 06 November 2018 - 09:17 AM

^funny isn't that the first BC store too?

The only BC store captured under these closures is still branded as a Rona. It's the Rona at Columbia Square Plaza. The Lowe's in New West is not being closed.

• lanforod likes this

#4973 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 06 November 2018 - 06:53 PM

^Exactly. Plus it was kinda cheap quality. People looking for high-quality traditional are going to Sagers or Standard. Of course, if I could afford it I'd go down to Rock Bay and buy everything at Gabriel Ross.

A $54,023 three seat couch?! Outrageous! Round it down to $54,000 for crying out loud, but add an extra $23 - sorry you lost me as a customer right there.

#4974 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 06 November 2018 - 09:06 PM

A $54,023 three seat couch?! Outrageous! Round it down to $54,000 for crying out loud, but add an extra $23 - sorry you lost me as a customer right there.

No. If it were an even 54 you'd question it. People would think did they pick that number out of the air? But $54,023 implies that's the price it just had to be not a penny more. Just like when Mt. Everest was surveyed it worked out to be precisely 29,000 feet. But they added two feet to make it 29,002 so skeptics wouldn't think it was an arbitrary number.

#4975 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 06 November 2018 - 09:28 PM

No. If it were an even 54 you'd question it. People would think did they pick that number out of the air? But $54,023 implies that's the price it just had to be not a penny more. Just like when Mt. Everest was surveyed it worked out to be precisely 29,000 feet. But they added two feet to make it 29,002 so skeptics wouldn't think it was an arbitrary number.

29,029 feet with snow.

#4976 grantpalin

grantpalin
  • 804 posts

Posted 07 November 2018 - 10:32 AM

The former Chapters space has the windows papered over, and a sign on the door indicates active renovations happening for Shoppers. I did get a peek through a gap in the paper and saw that the main floor has been almost gutted.

• jonny likes this

#4977 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,668 posts

Posted 07 November 2018 - 10:36 AM

The former Chapters space has the windows papered over, and a sign on the door indicates active renovations happening for Shoppers...

I understand the new Shoppers will have a substantial grocery department, perhaps all of one floor.

Now we need a great proposal for the redevelopment of the current Shoppers property.

#4978 Mattjvd

Mattjvd
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 07 November 2018 - 11:06 AM

I understand the new Shoppers will have a substantial grocery department, perhaps all of one floor.

Now we need a great proposal for the redevelopment of the current Shoppers property.

Yes please!

#4979 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 07 November 2018 - 11:42 AM

I did get a peek through a gap in the paper and saw that the main floor has been almost gutted.

It would be great to see a photo. That was such a fancy space when it opened. At the end it was really looking ragged.

• Nparker likes this

#4980 Brantastic

Brantastic
  • 924 posts

Posted 07 November 2018 - 06:26 PM

I'm curious if there will be any kind of upgrades to the exterior of the Chapters building beyond signage. Not a particularly awful looking building, but rather dated still.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users