* * * * - 3 votes

Victoria retail thread: retailer news, comings and goings

• Please log in to reply
8289 replies to this topic

#2981 Mike Jay

Mike Jay
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 August 2015 - 11:13 AM

we DO NOT need another dispensary, especially downtown. there are more dispensaries than tim hortons!

#2982 Langford Rat

Langford Rat
  • 405 posts

Posted 19 August 2015 - 01:04 PM

Everytime a bell rings....some %$##@ is coming through our door and stealing or breaking our crap!!

• Nparker likes this

#2983 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 19 August 2015 - 01:57 PM

I confess. It was me shoplifting the Christmas store. I just couldn't help myself with each new sign.... My Christmas wish was for a big on on the front door that simply said **** Off!

I recall feeling intimidated just walking in the place.

i confess. i was shoplifting from the christmas store, but just the signs

Is there any Christmas stores left in Victoria now?

Edited by todd, 19 August 2015 - 02:09 PM.

#2984 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 19 August 2015 - 02:16 PM

we DO NOT need another dispensary, especially downtown. there are more dispensaries than tim hortons!

Guess you are right we do need more Tim Hortons donut dispensarys downtown. There is only one Tim Hortons downtown right now  :whyme:.

• sebberry likes this

#2985 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 19 August 2015 - 02:20 PM

Guess you are right we do need more Tim Hortons donut dispensarys downtown. 

:thumbsup:

#2986 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 19 August 2015 - 07:24 PM

Is there any Christmas stores left in Victoria now?

I am always one step ahead of the next trend and will be opening up a Ramadan store in that location. no touch!

In Target/Lowe's news (from Fred Hayes)...

In follow up, I have just spoken direct with representatives of Lowes, they indicate that their first formal meeting with staff to initiate the process was two weeks ago. This meeting laid out the process of the application, including the community consultation. Lowes staff have now engage in this to recieve community input prior to making the formal application. There were some previous due diligence discussions by Lowes with Saanich staff to check that the zoning bylaws were consistent with the proposed new uses, and the type of application needed. Look before you leap - so to speak. I am personally very pleased and excited at the prospect of Lowes joining the retail community at Tillicum and the expanded customer base and services this will bring. I hope this further information helps.
It is certainly a grave concern if there are delays in an application for development which would bring new economic benefits and jobs to Saanich. The situation with LOWES has just been brought to my attention. In checking with Saanich Planning staff 10 minutes ago, I am informed that there is as yet no application from LOWES submitted to staff. I am looking further into this, and have an email into Mayor Atwell that we meet with LOWES and see where they are with the plans for this development. I hope this helps address concerns, and will get with more details once they become available from LOWES. Fred Haynes, Councillor, District of Saanich

#2987 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 20 August 2015 - 04:56 AM

I am always one step ahead of the next trend and will be opening up a Ramadan store in that location. no touch!

In Target/Lowe's news (from Fred Hayes)...

In follow up, I have just spoken direct with representatives of Lowes, they indicate that their first formal meeting with staff to initiate the process was two weeks ago. This meeting laid out the process of the application, including the community consultation. Lowes staff have now engage in this to recieve community input prior to making the formal application. There were some previous due diligence discussions by Lowes with Saanich staff to check that the zoning bylaws were consistent with the proposed new uses, and the type of application needed. Look before you leap - so to speak. I am personally very pleased and excited at the prospect of Lowes joining the retail community at Tillicum and the expanded customer base and services this will bring. I hope this further information helps.
It is certainly a grave concern if there are delays in an application for development which would bring new economic benefits and jobs to Saanich. The situation with LOWES has just been brought to my attention. In checking with Saanich Planning staff 10 minutes ago, I am informed that there is as yet no application from LOWES submitted to staff. I am looking further into this, and have an email into Mayor Atwell that we meet with LOWES and see where they are with the plans for this development. I hope this helps address concerns, and will get with more details once they become available from LOWES. Fred Haynes, Councillor, District of Saanich

Thanks Rob

This was in response to a controversy on the Mayor's facebook page where claims were being made that Saanich staff had sat on Lowe's application for '6 to 8 months' and that council was delaying planning approval. That comment on the surface made no sense since media reports stated that Target hadn't even negotiated a sub-lease on their site until end June.

#2988 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 20 August 2015 - 05:46 AM

Designer Show Warehouse (DSW) opens today at the old Michael's location, 8am.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#2989 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 20 August 2015 - 05:54 AM

I have been to DSWs US stores and they do a great job of discounting $250 shoes down to $200. I wonder if they will go a little further downstream in this market.

#2990 timw11

timw11
  • 33 posts

Posted 21 August 2015 - 11:09 PM

I overheard heard some people talking on the sidewalk in front. It looked like it was a meeting of some kind and they were saying Internet cafe, coffee shop with a dispensary...

It's not, but love the jumping to marijuanna conclusions by everyone  ;)

#2991 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 07:21 PM

looks like this place has already closed down now

Qi Club Urban Temple has opened up in between The Patch and the post office in the 700-block of Yates.

http://vibrantvictor...&attach_id=3452

#2992 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 07:31 PM

Kings Deli is now permanently closed. The o owner has not been successful enough to overcome his medical issues and has had to let the business go.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#2993 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 08:55 PM

Kings Deli is now permanently closed. The o owner has not been successful enough to overcome his medical issues and has had to let the business go.

Well, that's too bad, he is a great fella.

• sdwright.vic likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#2994 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 07:19 AM

Was/is the owner's first name Martin?

#2995 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 08:39 AM

Welcome to our VERY friendly Quadra Village store!  Where we "yell" NO at you before you even walk in the door.

i3.jpg

I got an idea, Stampers, why not get in the custom stamp business, or even carry a few office supplies?  Sheesh...

• Nparker, sebberry and Matt R. like this

#2996 aastra

aastra
  • 20,753 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 08:41 AM

What is the actual business?

#2997 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,545 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 08:42 AM

So, they're a print shop, obviously?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2998 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,545 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 08:43 AM

Can we please, please, please go on a VV excursion to Stampers! in search office stamps, stamp supplies, stamp paraphernalia, stamp pads, and some pens?

• Nparker, sebberry and SamCB like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2999 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 08:44 AM

They sure like to direct you to other businesses.

#3000 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 08:46 AM

Craft supplies.   Facebook.   You'd think they'd at least welcome people walking in to see what they do, even if they were looking for something else.  Since that person obviously has never been to the store, so it's a potential new customer to discover them.

Odd.

526579_10150803465007265_1867792275_n.jp

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)