Victoria retail thread: retailer news, comings and goings

• Please log in to reply
8289 replies to this topic

#3001 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 08:50 AM

I'm going to open a business called Shippers! and sell yarn.

• sebberry likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3002 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 08:50 AM

The thing is they are pretty decent craft/scrap-booking store. As you say VHF, you think they'd to all they can to entice new customers with what they have.

#3003 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 08:51 AM

I'm going to open a business called Shippers! and sell yarn.

You should sell lists of couples you'd like to see together. Isn't that the current usage of the term "shippers"?

#3004 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 08:51 AM

What the heck is that noise their website makes? Is that a respirator, or a sled on snow? Or an elephant exhaling?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3005 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 08:55 AM

What the heck is that noise their website makes? Is that a respirator, or a sled on snow? Or an elephant exhaling?

Ya, I'm unclear, but websites with sound are right out of 1998, for sure.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#3006 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 08:58 AM

"Ok, so how about this sound?"

"Bzzzt ppfffffftttt"

"No?"

"Ok, how about this one?"

"Phhhhhhuuuhhhhhh"

"Oh you like that? Great, it's a good one for sure. Blockbuster and Kodak use the same one on their websites, actually."

Know it all.

#3007 aastra

aastra
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 08:59 AM

I'm seeing a lot of office supplies in that picture. I guess we're drawing a fine line here between art supplies and office supplies?

#3008 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 09:09 AM

I'm seeing a lot of office supplies in that picture. I guess we're drawing a fine line here between art supplies and office supplies?

They do have pens to draw fine lines, but those are unacceptable for critical office work.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#3009 aastra

aastra
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 09:17 AM

So those pens would be okay for routine office work?

I'm using a cranberry-coloured pigment ink stamp pad in the office right now. I'm pressing the edges of my hands into it and making miniature footprints along the floor and right up the wall.

• Rob Randall and Jill like this

#3010 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 02 September 2015 - 09:20 AM

Is there any Christmas stores left in Victoria now?

Costco has Christmas stuff trickling in in August...

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#3011 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 09:23 AM

Great example of how bad design can affect quality of life... I include branding in design. Call you business Crafters and remove the FLICK OFF sign from the front door....business and life will get better then....

#3012 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 09:35 AM

I work at Island Blue and we sell art supplies and drafting equipment and we do carry a few office supplies due to popular demand, things like copier paper, regular file folders and boxes of paper clips. Really basic stuff in very small quantities but we do have it in case of emergency. The problem is, people get really angry because we don't carry three-ring binders etc. We tell them to go to Monk's but people feel if you carry a few things you should carry everything. We try to please, but you know.

It's common in business to contract out certain tasks that can't be done in house. Your partner wholesaler gives you a business to business discount and you mark the price up for the customer. Stampers could take down their angry sign and partner up with Custom Stamp. You could even be up front and say hey, if you go directly to Custom Stamp you can get it a bit cheaper but we would be pleased to take your order if you'd rather not make another trip. I bet most people would be fine with that. You could even price it to break even and at least you have a happy customer in your store making other purchases instead of chasing them away before they even touch the door handle.

My point is, customer service means every response to a customer's problem is always positive. 

• aastra, Nparker, Jill and 1 other like this

#3013 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 10:08 AM

It's common in business to contract out certain tasks that can't be done in house. Your partner wholesaler gives you a business to business discount and you mark the price up for the customer. Stampers could take down their angry sign and partner up with Custom Stamp. 

That was my thinking.  I've been into Custom Stamp a few times, easy to deal with, and their selection is not so broad that it would take up space in Stampers!  One binder with designs, and half a day training for Stampers! staff over at Custom and you got a match.

Or at least take down the angry sign, let people come in, and hand them business cards (supplied free by and for Custom Stamp) when asked.

• Nparker likes this

#3014 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 10:11 AM

I work at Island Blue and we sell art supplies and drafting equipment and we do carry a few office supplies due to popular demand, things like copier paper, regular file folders and boxes of paper clips. Really basic stuff in very small quantities but we do have it in case of emergency. The problem is, people get really angry because we don't carry three-ring binders etc. We tell them to go to Monk's but people feel if you carry a few things you should carry everything. We try to please, but you know.

Copy paper is good to have.  Monk usually keeps some of it right at the till, because that's something you see and go "oh ya, last time I loaded the printer I used the last bit"...

#3015 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 10:22 AM

Or at least take down the angry sign, let people come in, and hand them business cards (supplied free by and for Custom Stamp) when asked.

We get referrals from other related but different businesses. At one point, one of the employees in the other stores had pages already printed out of where we are located. I will often get someone telling me that some other business has suggested us. If we can't help them either, I will try to offer a few other suggestions.

If I get folks in our shop asking for stuff we don't have but I can understand why they might thought we would, I will suggest where they might look and will show them on my computer screen either the web page for that business or a google map of where they are located.

#3016 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 10:26 AM

This is why we have made the decision to stick to our specialty. We considered carrying a few of these other items folks ask us for. But then we realized we don't really know how they work so wouldn't be able to provide any service other than having something for them to buy. And one item leads to another... like the paper clips to binders. So instead I have puts links on our web page in a special section that says we get asked for this stuff and don't have it but here are some places that you likely will be able to get what you are looking for.

#3017 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 10:30 AM

We get referrals from other related but different businesses. At one point, one of the employees in the other stores had pages already printed out of where we are located. I will often get someone telling me that some other business has suggested us. If we can't help them either, I will try to offer a few other suggestions.

That seems good.  When I'm referred by a business to another, and I get to the referred business and find what I want, I make a point of telling them who sent me there.  I think that probably makes all of us feel good, it's a no-lose move.

• johnk likes this

#3018 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 02:10 PM

Was/is the owner's first name Martin?

No Martin was helping the owner out over the last couple of months when he had to go in for surgery again.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#3019 LJ

LJ
  • 12,729 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 07:40 PM

Is Stampers owned by the Christmas Store guy?

• LocalMom and Matt R. like this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#3020 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 06 September 2015 - 08:03 AM

I noticed the other day that the former Xcess Cargo place is still some type of discount liquidator.  It was too early to go inside.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users