• Please log in to reply
8267 replies to this topic

#3101 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 12:40 PM

Market rates = the race to the bottom.

Not really.  Very, very, very few people make minimum wage.  If you take out hospitality workers that make tips, it's likely less than 3% of workers.  So nobody is hitting the bottom.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#3102 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 12:47 PM

Well even if pot shops and private liquor stores are paying $12 per hour that is still unacceptable and that in itself is a perfectly good reason for selling the weed in a Goverment store where fair wages and fair benefits are paid. ANywhere else is not good.

If Private stores want to be taken seriously they can start by paying their employees a decent wage.

#3103 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 12:50 PM

If Private stores want to be taken seriously they can start by paying their employees a decent wage.

How do you mean by taken seriously?  The largest liquor store on Vancouver Island is a private store.  That's pretty serious.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#3104 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 02:07 PM

If you are referring to liquor planet on millstream rd it may very well be the largest in sq ft but tbat doesnt mean they pay their staff an honest wage or that they do more business i can atest that it is dead there most of the time when government store are always busy so having the largest store witb gimmicks such as toys and dinosaurs to get people inside is not valid

#3105 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 02:13 PM

If you are referring to liquor planet on millstream rd it may very well be the largest in sq ft but tbat doesnt mean they pay their staff an honest wage 

They pay the amount of wages required to recruit and retain qualified staff.  Not a penny more.  That's how private businesses do things.   Same as your hair-cutter, HB.  You don't hand over an extra $10 each time you get your hair cut do you, to give the person an "honest wage"?

• HB likes this

#3106 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,404 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 02:56 PM

...You don't hand over an extra $10 each time you get your hair cut do you, to give the person an "honest wage"?

Have you never tipped  - or felt compelled to tip - your hairdresser/haircutter?

#3107 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 02:57 PM

Have you never tipped  - or felt compelled to tip - your hairdresser/haircutter?

Yes, I do.  

#3108 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 02:58 PM

yeah that's pretty standard for hair cuts and for many, $10 would be a poor tip.  of course, I cut my own hair.

• Szeven likes this

#3109 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,177 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 03:09 PM

$10 a poor tip? Jesus, my buzz cuts back when I went in to Jimmy's would cost $12+$3 tip.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3110 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,240 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 03 December 2015 - 03:26 PM

I tip similar for hair cuts as for food service. About 15%. So for a $20 haircut, I'll tip $3. The haircut takes 20 minutes max, and theres usually a lineup, so if they make $9/hr in tips on top of minimum wage, that's very good money. They don't have to share their tips with cooks etc. like servers typically do.

Edited by lanforod, 03 December 2015 - 03:26 PM.

• weirdie likes this

#3111 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 03:31 PM

My haircut is $13 and I usually tip $5.

But what I'm getting at with HB's fair wage thing is, if you can get a guy to cut your lawn weekly for $30, or the identical job for $25, which person are you going to hire?

#3112 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 04:08 PM

They pay the amount of wages required to recruit and retain qualified staff. Not a penny more. That's how private businesses do things. Same as your hair-cutter, HB. You don't hand over an extra $10 each time you get your hair cut do you, to give the person an "honest wage"?

you have taken,the,subject on a weird journey your comment proves my point pot should be sold in a controlled manner in bc liquor stores,where the,taxes,and profits,will go towards,paying fair and decent wages to the employees instead of into the pockets of privates businesses where as you put it tbe employer pays the bare minimum to retain staff not one penny more no benwfits such as medical pension rrsps

#3113 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 04:25 PM

But in private business, say like Walmart, they drive prices to rock bottom. That leaves more money in your pocket after you buy toilet paper. To spend elsewhere. That's great for the economy.
  • lanforod likes this

#3114 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 04:42 PM

Walmart wont be selling pot this discussion is still about whether private or government liquor stores should sell pot i say government because its more of a controlled environment and they pay their employees a good wage not a wage that is below the poverty line such as what privates are paying trying to derail the topic by bring up toilet paper prices is lame and you know better than to do that

Edited by HB, 03 December 2015 - 08:05 PM.

• nagel likes this

#3115 Szeven

Szeven
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 05:47 PM

The question must be asked then where is the line on what should be sold by government by highly paid staff and what should be sold by private industry by supply and demand determined wages.

So far we have liquor and pot as government and toilet paper and haircuts as private. So does that mean the line is controlled substances? Should we be closing up private pharmacy? What about bartender's? Barista's? One could go on forever!

#3116 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 06:03 PM

^ tobacco should be the model. Huge taxes, available everywhere.

#3117 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 08:14 PM

Government should not be in the retail industry. Maybe they should sell clothes at a "fair wage"? What about gasoline? Groceries? Retail jobs should be for young people getting a start. They shouldn't be careers for losers who can't be bothered to develop some actual skills.

Edited by jonny, 03 December 2015 - 08:14 PM.

• Matt R. and Redd42 like this

#3118 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,237 posts

Posted 04 December 2015 - 05:09 AM

Ya, no thanks to communism... Legalize it, Tax it, and let the market decide who sells it a grows it. Let the regulations of local areas decide where and if it can be sold through licensing.
  • weirdie and jonny like this

#3119 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 04 December 2015 - 07:23 AM

Selling liquor in grocery stores and corner store was a failure so Government still has control

Maybe the druggies can lobby governments to sell it in 7-11 and the Dutch Bakery too

#3120 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,240 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 04 December 2015 - 08:16 AM

Selling liquor in grocery stores and corner store was a failure so Government still has control

That's only because of the distance rules, and the tight control the government wouldn't give up, particularly on pricing. It works fine in most of the world.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

9 user(s) are reading this topic

2 members, 7 guests, 0 anonymous users

Mike K., Fairbanks