* * * * - 3 votes

Victoria retail thread: retailer news, comings and goings

• Please log in to reply
8261 replies to this topic

#3141 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 13 December 2015 - 10:00 AM

I don't know their finances but I know a bit about where the industry is going. Are they going to even make DVDs in 5 years?

I think I make a valid point.

#3142 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 December 2015 - 10:14 AM

I don't know their finances but I know a bit about where the industry is going. Are they going to even make DVDs in 5 years?

I think they will still make DVDs.  The manufacturing process is quite inexpensive.  Sort of like how they still make vinyl records.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#3143 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 13 December 2015 - 10:20 AM

Half the population over 60 wouldn't be able to stream a video if their life depended on it.

Edited by spanky123, 13 December 2015 - 10:37 AM.

#3144 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 13 December 2015 - 10:27 AM

I think they will still make DVDs. The manufacturing process is quite inexpensive. Sort of like how they still make vinyl records.

There's a niche market for almost everything, including vinyl, cassettes, VHS, Atari, & DVDs.

#3145 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 December 2015 - 10:29 AM

There's a niche market for almost everything, including vinyl, cassettes, VHS, Atari, & DVDs.

Most of the new cassette market is for prisons.  They must have clear cases.

http://www.duplicati...ette-Tapes.html

Prison Tapes

Screwless transparent audio cassettes for distributing to inmates in prison. You can choose any length from 1 minute to 95 minutes. We recommend shorter lengths when using these clear liner cassettes.

Tape: Music grade Type 1 normal bias

These tapes are used by prison ministries and for sending music to individual inmates. We've found that there is no standard length clients want, so we custom-load these tapes to the exact length you want. If you're in the USA don't worry about transport issues because we ship to the USA by UPS Standard service with affordable rates and fast delivery time with full tracking.

http://www.music4inmatesbymail.com/

We are a 38+ year old company that believes in providing services that helps inmates.  We offer customized playlists as requested by an Inmate or their loved ones.  We use correctional facility clear, white, see-through cassette tapes that do not have metal or wiring.  All cassette tapes are correctional facility approved.  We convert using 90:00 Minute Cassette Tapes for Inmates (Male & Female) and 80:00 Minute CD's; and ship by Priority Mail to all States in the USA, and directly to the Inmate or to the family member for the Inmate.  

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#3146 Benezet

Benezet
  • 1,218 posts

Posted 13 December 2015 - 11:00 AM

There are many examples of technologies and industries that people think are dead but are not. There is good money to be made building pipe organs, for instance, and several Quebec companies are doing so. People still buy Swiss watches, just not as many. My favourite example, though, is the buggy-whip manufacturer in Westfield, Mass. that's still going strong 130 years on.

Edited by Benezet, 13 December 2015 - 11:00 AM.

#3147 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,234 posts

Posted 13 December 2015 - 01:26 PM

I assume it's because they are the only one left. Plus they were always the place to find more esoteric titles. Maybe they are thinking of becoming a dispensary as well?

#3148 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 13 December 2015 - 01:35 PM

I assume it's because they are the only one left. Plus they were always the place to find more esoteric titles. Maybe they are thinking of becoming a dispensary as well?

Add that to vaping supplies and they could corner the whole Cook St market.

#3149 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 December 2015 - 01:38 PM

Add that to vaping supplies and they could corner the whole Cook St market.

Didn't we already establish a flower shop in the Village is also a dispensary?

#3150 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 13 December 2015 - 01:45 PM

Didn't we already establish a flower shop in the Village is also a dispensary?

Ok but are they also selling e-cigs, vaping supplies, hash oil and all of the other good stuff!

#3151 Jill

Jill
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 13 December 2015 - 03:06 PM

Pic-a-Flic is the kind of place where you can ask them to help you find that movie that guy was in who was in that other movie that was really good and walk out with exactly what you wanted.

#3152 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,861 posts

Posted 13 December 2015 - 03:29 PM

My sister and Rob were co-owners.  It's always been a good little business no doubt.  They have really bucked the trend for many of the reasons mentioned above.  When I was a kid, my family owned a couple of video rental stores, lots of fun.

Matt.

#3153 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 15 December 2015 - 10:39 PM

Gone as of Monday

WestMarine

#3154 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 16 December 2015 - 06:23 AM

^Rumoured Canadian Tire Redevelopment? Would they still do this store as well as Hillside?
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#3155 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 16 December 2015 - 06:44 AM

No The Douglas Store is going into Target this West Marine store is way to small for Canuck Tire

#3156 29er Radio

29er Radio
  • 671 posts

Posted 16 December 2015 - 08:29 AM

The audi dealership on cook street is locating on the west marine and old accent inn offices site. Can tire had both those sites and the Ingy site and that was deemed to be too small for their needs

Eric Bramble - http://www.29erradio.com
The Growler Hour
Lisa, Gene & Eric Show

#3157 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 16 December 2015 - 08:30 AM

^ Oooh, that makes some sense.

#3158 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 16 December 2015 - 09:45 AM

Hudson District shaping up as north downtown retail hotspot

http://victoria.citi...retail-hotspot/

Developer Townline has confirmed the latest leasing acquisitions for The Hudson District's ground floor commercial spaces in the Hudson building, home of the Victoria Public Market, and the Hudson Mews residential tower on Fisgard Street.

Brokerage firm Invis is readying to open a street-front office in the 12-storey Hudson Mews rental tower at the Hudson District's mid-block carriageway and the 700-block of Fisgard Street. Opposite the entrance to the Victoria Public Market in the tower's podium along the carriageway, 9 Elements Spa and Reflexology clinic is expected to open in January. The two tenants push the tower's total lease rate to just under 70% following its completion in 2014. [Full article]

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3159 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 16 December 2015 - 11:28 AM

That West Marine storefront was one of the better ones along upper Douglas. Windows? Close to the sidewalk? What a concept! I hope that whatever replaces it doesn't introduce a massive setback.

#3160 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 16 December 2015 - 11:34 AM

That West Marine storefront was one of the better ones along upper Douglas. Windows? Close to the sidewalk? What a concept! I hope that whatever replaces it doesn't introduce a massive setback.

Why would there be a setback are you thinking they are going to start tearing walls down or something?

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users