• 20,649 posts

Posted 16 December 2015 - 04:37 PM

Not just the walls. The roof, too.

#3162 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 16 December 2015 - 05:15 PM

Did someone say they are tearing it down not sure where you are coming from with this

#3163 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 16 December 2015 - 09:22 PM

I don't think Audi wants to locate their dealership inside a former retail store.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3164 29er Radio

29er Radio
  • 671 posts

Posted 17 December 2015 - 08:53 AM

It is my understanding the audi dealership owner bought the two adjoining sites which total around 2 acres. They might keep the existing WM building but based on some of the other new dealership designs, you could assume it will be a little more sexy that the existing buildings

Eric Bramble - http://www.29erradio.com
The Growler Hour
Lisa, Gene & Eric Show

#3165 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 17 December 2015 - 08:59 AM

It's reasonable to assume that Audi will make major changes to the site. Car dealerships are usually set back, so tearing down the existing structure is a distinct possibility.

#3166 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 17 December 2015 - 09:27 AM

Especially if they want to live up to what Lexus/Porsche/Jaguar/Land Rover have done in recent years. A hokey Audi dealership doesn't make sense.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3167 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 17 December 2015 - 09:32 AM

Add BMW to the list as well.

#3168 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 17 December 2015 - 09:50 AM

For sure, but I meant along the Douglas strip.

Know it all.

#3169 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 17 December 2015 - 10:45 AM

...based on some of the other new dealership designs, you could assume it will be a little more sexy that the existing buildings

I was assuming the standard-issue new Audi dealership look, which has recently gone up or is currently going up pretty much everywhere.

Edited by aastra, 17 December 2015 - 03:27 PM.

#3170 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 17 December 2015 - 03:13 PM

I guess no one wants to go downtown to buy a car. Maybe following this Mazda and Harris dodge will decide to move as well and that whole area of Yates can be developed.
  • Nparker, LocalMom and Mr Cook Street like this

#3171 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 17 December 2015 - 03:50 PM

One can only hope, RFS.

Those gnarly car lot lights must be such a nuisance for nearby residents.

• Nparker and LocalMom like this

Know it all.

#3172 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 20 December 2015 - 11:24 AM

So last night, around 11:30pm, I wandered into the Chevron at Veterans and Goldstream.

The place was pretty busy (at least 6 of us lined up), but the door was locked and transactions could only be done with a sliding cash and merchandise drawer.  The guy was pretty good though, he went and got me energy drinks from the cooler.

I found it odd.  Not sure if it was just a reaction to the stuff that went down in Edmonton, or if that's the policy every night.

It seems to me that places like these could just have huge video screens as you enter, that makes it very clear you are being recorded, and very well.  The technology is pretty cheap.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#3173 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,971 posts

Posted 20 December 2015 - 12:52 PM

So last night, around 11:30pm, I wandered into the Chevron at Veterans and Goldstream.

The place was pretty busy (at least 6 of us lined up), but the door was locked and transactions could only be done with a sliding cash and merchandise drawer.  The guy was pretty good though, he went and got me energy drinks from the cooler.

I found it odd.  Not sure if it was just a reaction to the stuff that went down in Edmonton, or if that's the policy every night.

It seems to me that places like these could just have huge video screens as you enter, that makes it very clear you are being recorded, and very well.  The technology is pretty cheap.

Unfortunately the people who rob these types of stores aren't worrying about being recorded. One more arrest added to the 30 they already have outstanding isn't much of a deterrent.

#3174 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 20 December 2015 - 05:33 PM

It's a normal thing nowadays. My first encounter was the Chevron at UVic, years ago.

Know it all.

#3175 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 20 December 2015 - 07:25 PM

Unfortunately the people who rob these types of stores aren't worrying about being recorded. One more arrest added to the 30 they already have outstanding isn't much of a deterrent.

The description is usually 5 to 6 feet tall, blue jeans with dark hoodie and sunglasses.

• sebberry and jonny like this

#3176 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 20 December 2015 - 09:14 PM

VicHockeyFan, on 20 Dec 2015 - 11:24 AM, said:

That's "Grant's Law" at work, named for Grant Depatie who was killed while working at a gas station late at night.

Video does nothing to protect the individual, only makes it easier to catch the guy afterward, and like others said, these "desperate people" don't give a damn. Going to jail just gives them room and board for awhile.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#3177 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,861 posts

Posted 20 December 2015 - 09:56 PM

Grants law is the one that requires us to prepay for gas. This security slide set up is probably to allow the employer to keep staffing to only one employee overnight and keep everyone safe and compliant with Worksafe regs.

Matt.

#3178 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 20 December 2015 - 11:37 PM

Grants law is the one that requires us to prepay for gas. This security slide set up is probably to allow the employer to keep staffing to only one employee overnight and keep everyone safe and compliant with Worksafe regs.

Matt.

I guess my thing it waxsupy busy,at 11:30 on a Sayurday there were lots of other failsafes.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#3179 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 20 December 2015 - 11:37 PM

For a short time that was the only way you could buy after hours goods, Before Worksafe decided it was impracticable. It was all part of "Grant’s Law" that also saw prepaid into affect the gas stations province wide. Grant 24 years old earning minimum wage was a gas station attendant in BC who was dragged to death under a car after trying to stop a $12 gas and dash. http://www.mapleridg.../135288028.html

I think all parts of the law were very reasonable, it's not that hard or that expensive to create a separation barrier within the store so customers can still shop inside yet are separated from the employee, if they want to be open 24 seven.

Edited by todd, 21 December 2015 - 12:05 AM.

• Nparker, Matt R. and Daveyboy like this

#3180 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 21 December 2015 - 08:50 PM

Matt R., on 20 Dec 2015 - 9:56 PM, said:

Matt.

You don't have to prepay, you can use a credit card at the pump.

• Matt R. likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users