Victoria retail thread: retailer news, comings and goings

• Please log in to reply
8289 replies to this topic

#4041 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 08:37 AM

OMG the Wholesale Club is awful. A total dump and expensive to boot.

You should check it out again. They've reno'd the store, and their prices are on par with SuperStore which I think is on the lower end of the pricing scale in Victoria.
  • kafkaesque likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4042 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 08:45 AM

You should check it out again. They've reno'd the store, and their prices are on par with SuperStore which I think is on the lower end of the pricing scale in Victoria.

They have reno'd since last fall? I think that's when I was last there...

#4043 aastra

aastra
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 08:46 AM

I can put the IKEA info to rest. It's just another rumour.

There's a rumour going around that it isn't a rumour this time.

• Rob Randall, Nparker, jonny and 3 others like this

#4044 kafkaesque

kafkaesque
  • 88 posts
  • LocationVic West

Posted 19 May 2017 - 08:48 AM

Wholesale Club is great for pricing.  It is not the same as Costco but is where we do our weekly shopping, with additions for other things in  local stores.  They are working on the look, and really, I don't need my grocery store to be a lifestyle experience.

I was in Costco yesterday to pick up a prescription and the lines were so long that I passed on shopping.  And I don't  mind lines, and theirs usually go quickly.  But it was insane at 1pm.

I want Ikea.  Gonna pout now.

#4045 thundergun

thundergun
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 19 May 2017 - 08:51 AM

Is there any chance that Shoppers moves elsewhere along Douglas (not sure where exactly)?

I recall someone on here talking about utilities challenges of the Chapters building is in a while back. A redevelopment of those two properties together would allow for a larger, more interesting development along Douglas. Unlikely, but it's nice to think about.

#4046 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 08:58 AM

They have reno'd since last fall? I think that's when I was last there...

Yup. They started in late fall.

It's not night and day, but it's markedly better for a store that is more or less intended for businesses who don't care about frills but want items in bulk.
  • kafkaesque likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4047 FirstTimeHomeCrier

FirstTimeHomeCrier
  • 357 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 09:22 AM

Not even close to the same thing lol.

Okay, it's a different experience. Costco has more options for things like pre-prepared meals, and has things like patio furniture and cheap clothes. But Wholesale Club is great for staple foods like rice, pasta, milk, cheese, eggs, lentisl, beans, etc. It also has a great selection of spices and Asian foods, particularly Indian. And no membership necessary!

At this point, we only go to Costco a couple times a year anymore. We get our staple foods at Wholesale Club and then pick up stuff like produce, seafood, and pre-made or frozen meals at Thrifty's or Save-on.

The only thing I can't really comment on is meat. We almost never cook meat at home, so I have no idea what Wholesale Club is like for quality and prices. I do know you can get a whole goat carcass, though...

#4048 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,338 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 19 May 2017 - 09:24 AM

Meat at Costco is not cheap, though it is good quality. Better off going to a butcher though, for those prices. 

Costco just has more of everything in general.

#4049 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 09:27 AM

Yup. They started in late fall.

It's not night and day, but it's markedly better for a store that is more or less intended for businesses who don't care about frills but want items in bulk.

Maybe I'll have to check it out again some day, but we did just stock up on rice and pasta.

Meat at Costco is not cheap, though it is good quality. Better off going to a butcher though, for those prices. 

Costco just has more of everything in general.

I think I'm the only North American who has never been inside a Costco.

#4050 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 09:53 AM

Fun tip for ya. You don't actually need a membership to go in. Just enter through the exit. Great way to get yourself a cheap hot dog and some free samples in a pinch.

*I say this as a paying member please don't hurt me Costco ok thx

• Nparker, weirdie, Matt R. and 1 other like this

#4051 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 10:19 AM

Maybe I'll have to check it out again some day, but we did just stock up on rice and pasta.

I might be runner-up.  I've been once.  And it was more than 12 years ago.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#4052 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 10:23 AM

...Great way to get yourself a cheap hot dog...

And those fries...oh...those...fries:blink:

fries.jpg

#4053 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 10:25 AM

At this point, it's almost a goal to never go, just because.

• Mike K. likes this

#4054 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 10:27 AM

At this point, it's almost a goal to never go, just because.

I fear that if I went now, it would be a major letdown, like that time I went to In-N-Out Burger. It's been built up in my mind so much over the years that it would have to be pretty incredible to not be a letdown.

• Mike K. and Matt R. like this

#4055 aastra

aastra
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 10:29 AM

I might be runner-up.  I've been once.

I think I've been once, too, although I might be overestimating. Somewhere between never and once, for sure.

#4056 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,338 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 19 May 2017 - 10:32 AM

I fear that if I went now, it would be a major letdown, like that time I went to In-N-Out Burger. It's been built up in my mind so much over the years that it would have to be pretty incredible to not be a letdown.

I went to In n Out a month ago. It's nothing special food wise, but the prices! Wow.

#4057 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 10:33 AM

Well let me up the ante.  I went, but it was with my girlfriend at the time, and she bought stuff for her household.  I might not have bought a darned thing.  We never lived together or shared expenses, or shopped collectively together*.

It had one of those air blower virtual doors, that might have been my fondest memory of it.

* She's happily married now, but we still chat sometimes.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#4058 Dietrich

Dietrich
  • 337 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 10:33 AM

Fun tip for ya. You don't actually need a membership to go in. Just enter through the exit. Great way to get yourself a cheap hot dog and some free samples in a pinch.

*I say this as a paying member please don't hurt me Costco ok thx

Sometimes you will be asked to prove membership - I got asked to show my card to re-enter the store once after I just came out with a number of bags of goods I'd just purchased and there is nothing scruffy or surly about me.

#4059 aastra

aastra
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 12:05 PM

I got asked to show my card to re-enter the store once... and there is nothing scruffy or surly about me.

When you've got your wallet out just be careful to hide your VV membership card.

• Nparker and sebberry like this

#4060 kafkaesque

kafkaesque
  • 88 posts
  • LocationVic West

Posted 19 May 2017 - 01:33 PM

If challenged, just say you are going to the pharmacy - you don't have to have a membership to use it.

• Mike K. and Nparker like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users