* * * * - 3 votes

Victoria retail thread: retailer news, comings and goings

• Please log in to reply
8289 replies to this topic

#4061 aastra

aastra
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 02:06 PM

If challenged, just say you are going to the pharmacy...

That's clever. No one wants to get between a VV forumer and his medication.

• VicHockeyFan, Nparker, sebberry and 1 other like this

#4062 kafkaesque

kafkaesque
  • 88 posts
  • LocationVic West

Posted 19 May 2017 - 03:02 PM

And if your meds come from a free sample or the hot dog place, that is your business :)

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#4063 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 03:16 PM

For the record, I've never been in a Costco and have no desire to go :redface:

• Hotel Mike likes this

#4064 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 03:19 PM

For the record, I've never been in a Costco and have no desire to go :redface:

Suddenly everyone is a martyr.   :wave:

Anyway, how to shop there without being a member:   http://www.redflagde...t-a-membership/

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#4065 UDeMan

UDeMan
  • 745 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 04:40 PM

If challenged, just say you are going to the pharmacy - you don't have to have a membership to use it.

I can confirm this, I don't have a membership but have been getting my prescriptions from them for many years.

$4.50 dispensing fee.

• VicHockeyFan and kafkaesque like this

#4066 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 07:25 AM

Richard Harley Heather Pearson The Langford store, which is a separate franchise from the one that is opening downtown, will close its doors forever on MAY 31st. The sale that is starting very soon will be important to check out!

So I was correct all along. They lied.

Valhalla Moves

Edited by HB, 20 May 2017 - 07:36 AM.

#4067 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 08:03 AM

I do not think so, HB.  The new owners bought the Victoria franchise, and are opening it downtown.  The previous owners are liquidating the West Shore store.

• shoeflack likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#4068 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 01 June 2017 - 05:03 PM

A North Face store is opening soon at Uptown.

• jonny likes this

#4069 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 10:28 AM

Below the Belt is opening in Hillside Mall in the space formerly occupied by HMV.

• Mike K. likes this

#4070 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 12:27 PM

They're just moving, right?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4071 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 12:31 PM

They're just moving, right?

No, I think they will be a net new retailer at Hillside- there is also a Below the Belt at Mayfair.

#4072 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 12:32 PM

Ah, gotcha!

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4073 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 07:26 PM

And downtown at Bay Centre.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#4074 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 07 June 2017 - 01:02 PM

Island Eyecare is moving into the former Forge gym location in the Mosaic Building (1059 Fort Street); this is a relocation from their existing location in Sussex Place (Broughton Street near Douglas).

#4075 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 07 June 2017 - 01:15 PM

Thanks! I walked past there the oother day and had wondered what was up.

Know it all.

#4076 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 10:47 AM

Ingredients, a grocery store at the corner of Discovery and Store streets in downtown Victoria, will be losing on June 16th.

A statement from the company reads:

When we first opened almost 6 years ago, we truly thought we'd have enough traffic to have a viable business.  We believed there would be enough people who shared our vision...

LAST DAY  - FRIDAY JUNE 16TH

Many factors contributed to our closure.  We won't go into the list, but we worked hard and gave it our best effort.

CLOSED MONDAY JUNE 12TH

All remaining stock on sale to liquidate

Books 50% off

Last days:
TUESDAY JUNE 13TH TILL FRIDAY JUNE 16TH

Cafe open from 9-3
Store open from 9-5:30

For those of you who supported us and our vision, bless you and thank you... oxoxox

Know it all.

#4077 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,670 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 11:04 AM

Ingredients, a grocery store at the corner of Discovery and Store streets in downtown Victoria, will be closing on June 16th...

When we first opened almost 6 years ago, we truly thought we'd have enough traffic to have a viable business...

Seriously? Other than the massive parking lot, from where exactly did they think the customers would come? This area is a pedestrian wasteland.

Capture.JPG

Capture2.JPG

Capture3.JPG

Perhaps in a few years once the Ironworks is built, a grocery might be more viable here.

#4078 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 11:05 AM

They spelled "'til" wrong.

Anyway, they were odd operators, and the grocery business is VERY hard.  Hard because people want selection, and people do not want to pay a premium for staples like milk and eggs and Campbell Soup, and coffee and sugar and ice cream etc. etc..  So when you make nearly no money on those items, yet you need space for them to stay competitive, suddenly you have less space for other stuff, that has higher margins.  Now add in all kinds of other inefficiencies of running a smallish store.

They also have a new landlord too, that can sometimes be challenging.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 12 June 2017 - 11:07 AM.

#4079 thundergun

thundergun
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 12 June 2017 - 11:17 AM

^ I wonder if Phillips will start using this space as well as part of their brewery domination of that entire city block  :thumbsup:

• Matt R. likes this

#4080 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 20 June 2017 - 08:09 PM

Sears Canada is reported to be preparing a bankruptcy filing soon with liquidation expected to follow. What will replace the Hillside location? An upscale retailer like Holt Renfrew? Or perhaps a redevelopment of the space with office or residential uses?
https://beta.theglob...&service=mobile

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users