Victoria retail thread: retailer news, comings and goings

• Please log in to reply
8268 replies to this topic

#4441 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 30 October 2017 - 12:49 PM

How does this oven keep the turkey from spoiling while you are are in New York, before the cooking process begins? Is it also a freezer?

Sounds like someone needs to file a patent, and fast!

• Nparker likes this

#4442 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 30 October 2017 - 12:53 PM

Already been done:

http://www.ohgizmo.c...-also-a-fridge/

• Nparker and Jackerbie like this

#4443 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 30 October 2017 - 12:54 PM

Sounds like someone needs to file a patent, and fast!

I might be too late already ...well sort of.

CC369AB-open-5060rev.jpg

tiny-home-kitchens.jpg

Edit: I like Redd42's better.

Edited by Nparker, 30 October 2017 - 12:56 PM.

#4444 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 30 October 2017 - 12:56 PM

^ OK but what is that person doing with four pineapples in the crisper drawers???

• Redd42 likes this

#4445 Citified.ca

Citified.ca
  • Administrator
  • 2,285 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 30 October 2017 - 01:24 PM

The City of Victoria has approved Cook St. Liquor's proposal to relocate to the former RBC Royal Bank branch on Cook at Sutlej streets.

Cook St. Liquors gets green light to take over former Cook Street Village bank branch
https://victoria.cit...ge-bank-branch/

• Kapten Kapsell likes this
Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4446 29er Radio

29er Radio
  • 671 posts

Posted 30 October 2017 - 01:54 PM

The City of Victoria has approved Cook St. Liquor's proposal to relocate to the former RBC Royal Bank branch on Cook at Sutlej streets.

Cook St. Liquors gets green light to take over former Cook Street Village bank branch
https://victoria.cit...ge-bank-branch/

this is great news. I wonder how they got around the city's max store size of around 2000 sq ft. That building has to be bigger than that. Any thoughts out there?

Eric Bramble - http://www.29erradio.com
The Growler Hour
Lisa, Gene & Eric Show

#4447 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 30 October 2017 - 02:00 PM

2,000 square feet is the max? Seriously?

I’d wager that if they were held to that limit then the “vault” will be used for storage in lieu of a scotch display.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4448 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 30 October 2017 - 02:01 PM

this is great news. I wonder how they got around the city's max store size of around 2000 sq ft. That building has to be bigger than that. Any thoughts out there?

The city has a maximum size for liquor stores?  I imagine that the BC Liquors Signature Store at Fort/Foul Bay is larger than 2000 square feet.

I do agree that the liquor store expansion is good news for the Fairfield neighbourhood, and I hope that other amenities come to the area in the near future.  Interestingly enough, the marijuana dispensary north of the Beagle Pub recently folded, so perhaps we will get a new retail or café operation there...

• Nparker likes this

#4449 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 30 October 2017 - 02:05 PM

I don't know, wasn't there a thing about how the new liquor store at Hillside violated the CoV rule?

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#4450 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 30 October 2017 - 02:09 PM

Gordie's Music in the 1500-block of Pandora is shutting down on November 30th. A close-out sale is on now.

The operator says the landlord escalated the lease rate far in excess of what he was willing to pay. The store has been in business for many years.

Know it all.

#4451 29er Radio

29er Radio
  • 671 posts

Posted 30 October 2017 - 02:10 PM

I think the size restriction came in when the private stores started up. The blanshard/hillside planned relocation got sidetracked partly because of that restriction i think. I worked a bit on the Cascadia location in Quadra Village and at that time storage was included in the size. I am assuming all the "old" BCLS would be grandfathered in.

The Growler Hour
Lisa, Gene & Eric Show

#4452 29er Radio

29er Radio
  • 671 posts

Posted 30 October 2017 - 02:11 PM

Gordie's Music in the 1500-block of Pandora is shutting down on November 30th. A close-out sale is on now.

The operator says the landlord escalated the lease rate far in excess of what he was willing to pay. The store has been in business for many years.

this seems like another loophole issue the NDP should be getting behind.

• Matt R. likes this
The Growler Hour
Lisa, Gene & Eric Show

#4453 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 30 October 2017 - 02:15 PM

I don't know, wasn't there a thing about how the new liquor store at Hillside violated the CoV rule?

The zone for Hillside Mall has a max. floor area for the "Liquor retail store" use of 875 sq. m. Other zones that permit "Liquor retail store" may also specify a max. area, but you'd have to check each zone.

The zone for the old RBC does not permit "Liquor retail store," so I imagine they will apply for a zoning text amendment or rezoning.

#4454 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 30 October 2017 - 02:16 PM

They applied for the rezoning and it was approved.

Know it all.

#4455 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 30 October 2017 - 02:19 PM

...The zone for the old RBC does not permit "Liquor retail store," so I imagine they will apply for a zoning text amendment or rezoning.

Or perhaps just operate without the correct zoning or a license like the Canna Mall on Quadra. I am not sure why more businesses don't do this, since the CoV doesn't do anything to shut them down or collect fines.

#4456 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 30 October 2017 - 02:20 PM

^ Well, there you have it! CoV hasn't updated VicMap with the new zone yet, then

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#4457 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 02 November 2017 - 06:38 AM

"Buttoned Up" in Trounce Alley is for sale, $595,000 including inventory.  Apparently the inventory includes of $1 million worth of buttons.  Seriously.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#4458 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 02 November 2017 - 07:34 AM

Aveda Salon at Douglas and Johnson is moving into the adjacent space immediately to the north.  I imagine that something 'high profile' will replace Aveda on that corner.

#4459 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 02 November 2017 - 07:38 AM

What happened to the pot shop they were building there? Is that the space they are moving into?

#4460 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 02 November 2017 - 09:14 AM

It's possible that the pot shop deal might not have been finalized with the landlord.  Aveda's new space is immediately north of the current space and immediately south of the European deli.  That means that the corner space immediately across Johnson from BK is going to be vacant (unless a new tenant is lined up, which seems likely).

• Mike K., VicHockeyFan and Nparker like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users