Victoria retail thread: retailer news, comings and goings

• Please log in to reply
8289 replies to this topic

#4461 Gary H

Gary H
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 02 November 2017 - 10:30 AM

The new gas pumps are here, the new gas pumps are here!   :lol:

Though I'm not quite sure what was wrong with the previous pumps.

38065072126_73f8df2486_k.jpg

24267172678_2aa90afce5_k.jpg

#4462 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,466 posts

Posted 02 November 2017 - 10:32 AM

The previous pumps only charged up to $1.299. The new pumps are primed for prices up to $2.50 per litre.

• VicHockeyFan, Nparker, Matt R. and 1 other like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4463 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,466 posts

Posted 03 November 2017 - 07:20 AM

It's possible that the pot shop deal might not have been finalized with the landlord.  Aveda's new space is immediately north of the current space and immediately south of the European deli.  That means that the corner space immediately across Johnson from BK is going to be vacant (unless a new tenant is lined up, which seems likely).

A pot shop called Farmacy is moving into the former Aveda space on the corner.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4464 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 November 2017 - 07:54 AM

Oh ya, that;s right. so they renovated the space next door to just move the salon into, but it was always Farmacy slated to go into the unit.  I'm sure this is well within 200M of other places, what's the official status of the cannabis license?

screenshot-www.google.ca-2017-11-03-08-55-46-012.png

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 03 November 2017 - 07:58 AM.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#4465 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,466 posts

Posted 03 November 2017 - 08:20 AM

It's within 200 meters of at least two dispensaries.

Know it all.

#4466 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 03 November 2017 - 08:27 AM

Oh ya, that;s right. so they renovated the space next door to just move the salon into, but it was always Farmacy slated to go into the unit.  I'm sure this is well within 200M of other places, what's the official status of the cannabis license?

I believe the rezoning and heritage designation bylaws were adopted by Council in September. Council spoke very highly of this application, and there was lots of support from neighbours, the landlord, and the Farmacy members. Helps even called it a "model application," because of how closely they stuck to the City process. As for the 200m buffer, the staff report indicated that Farmacy would be the only permitted retail location within that buffer. Anything else currently operating is doing so without permits or adequate zoning.

That said, cannabis retail is restricted to 200 sq.m at this location, and the plans in the rezoning application show Farmacy in the interior unit, 1404, not 1402.

#4467 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 03 November 2017 - 08:36 AM

^ Also, the official policy is 200m from schools, 400m from other cannabis retailers, but Council has the discretion to consider applications that do not meet these separation distances.

#4468 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 05 November 2017 - 05:38 PM

They've built a Sticky's Candy franchise in the Quadra/McKenzie shopping centre but they are waiting for an owner. I'm not sure if their model is to build a finished store then offer it to a buyer or if an existing franchisee pulled out at the last minute.
http://www.stickyscandy.ca/franchise

Closed.

#4469 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,668 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 03:43 PM

Artavi Skateboards is relocating to the recently closed BC Pain Society (pot shop) space in the 1700 block of Quadra.

#4470 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 03:45 PM

^Good. That was one of the skeezier pot shops.

• Nparker and GaryRanson like this

#4471 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 07:35 PM

Anyone have the word on what is replacing the ubrew wine place next to Haultain Fish and Chips? Being on the corner of Empire I was of course hoping for Empire Donuts. A nice wine bar would be popular with me too.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#4472 GaryRanson

GaryRanson
  • 28 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 10:29 AM

Anyone have the word on what is replacing the ubrew wine place next to Haultain Fish and Chips? Being on the corner of Empire I was of course hoping for Empire Donuts. A nice wine bar would be popular with me too.

My guess is that the new owners of Haultain F&C will expand

• nerka likes this

#4473 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 16 November 2017 - 07:51 PM

Van Isle Jewelery is definitely closing permanently: https://www.cheknews...ecember-388163/

#4474 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 17 November 2017 - 08:41 AM

Anyone know what's going on at 1605/7/9 Douglas Street? Corner of Douglas and Cormorant, across from City Hall. They have a building permit for exterior and interior renos, and demolition of three commercial units.

#4475 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 17 November 2017 - 09:05 AM

Hearing the European Deli on Douglas is leaving, to be replaced by some type of bistro.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#4476 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 17 November 2017 - 09:18 AM

Anyone know what's going on at 1605/7/9 Douglas Street? Corner of Douglas and Cormorant, across from City Hall. They have a building permit for exterior and interior renos, and demolition of three commercial units.

They had two cube vans parked outside stacked to the brim with flooring that they had just removed on the weekend.

#4477 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 17 November 2017 - 09:22 AM

This is a kind of derelict and underutilized building, IMO. Improvements in terms of quality of fit and finish and better tenants would be welcome. 

• Nparker likes this

#4478 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 17 November 2017 - 09:23 AM

Van Isle Jewelery is definitely closing permanently: https://www.cheknews...ecember-388163/

Very sad to read on that link that the owner Kenn Munro has died. He was a good customer of mine.

It is also sad to see another long time business just close. 

#4479 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 17 November 2017 - 09:24 AM

Looks like something's finally going into the old Bryan's at Government and Johnson. Windows covered in paper, so no idea what it is...

#4480 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 17 November 2017 - 09:42 AM

This is a kind of derelict and underutilized building, IMO. Improvements in terms of quality of fit and finish and better tenants would be welcome. 

Looks like your wishes are being granted!

Recently acquired by Porte Communities and Reliance Properties, The Fairfield Block is about to undergo a full exterior revitalization that will restore this heritage building’s street-front presence to its former glory. The revitalization will restore both the Douglas and Cormorant Street sides of the building and create a unique, historic landmark - just steps from Victoria's newest high-end retail and office space - in what is quickly becoming Victoria’s most vibrant, active, night-and-day neighbourhood. Located directly across from Victoria City Hall, the Fairfield Block is ideally situated in a busy, high-pedestrian-traffic area, populated with well-employed government and public sector workers as well as the highly-active residents of the many up-market condominiums nearby.

via http://www.reliancep...-block-victoria

• Nparker and jonny like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users