* * * * - 3 votes

Victoria retail thread: retailer news, comings and goings

• Please log in to reply
8268 replies to this topic

#4561 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 09:40 AM

Each to their own... but man, what a waste of cash.

This can be said about literally anything. 

Taking your wife out for dinner for her birthday is a waste of cash. Coulda had Chef Boyardee at home for $0.79. 

Why buy a BMW? Could bought a Honda Fit for $60k less. 

Nobody needs to go on vacation. What a waste!

Etc. Etc. 

• rjag, Redd42, Daveyboy and 2 others like this

#4562 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 09:43 AM

For me, when my wife's eyes light up at the sight of a nice bouquet, it's worth every penny.

I guess if your relationships aren't enhanced by being nice, then doing nice things that people appreciate is pretty stupid. 

• Bingo likes this

#4563 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,240 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 17 January 2018 - 12:01 PM

Oh, if my wife didn't agree with the waste of money thing on this, she'd get flowers more often :P.

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#4564 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 01:06 PM

...betcha a Hallmark card she secretly hopes one day Lanforod will step down from that two-wheeled chariot of his, undo his knee and elbow pads, and present her with a beautiful bouquet (wrapped in plastic for protection, of course) as he comes home from work.

• Nparker, jonny and lanforod like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4565 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 03:03 PM

We just about always have candles and/or flowers on our table. I was very influenced by Danish friends growing up. As for cards, we consider them family keepsakes. :-)

• Nparker likes this

#4566 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,240 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 17 January 2018 - 03:31 PM

...betcha a Hallmark card she secretly hopes one day Lanforod will step down from that two-wheeled chariot of his, undo his knee and elbow pads, and present her with a beautiful bouquet (wrapped in plastic for protection, of course) as he comes home from work.

How do I get a bouquet home in said 'beautiful' condition on my bike going 40 km/hr?

#4567 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 03:32 PM

That's the sort of mystery that will captivate your wife!  :banana:

Just how did he do it...

See? And you're welcome.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4568 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 03:45 PM

How do I get a bouquet home in said 'beautiful' condition on my bike going 40 km/hr?

Isn't this precisely why the CoV is spending million$ on protected bike lanes?  ;)

#4569 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 03:58 PM

Have them delivered. Duh. 

#4570 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 03:59 PM

We just about always have candles and/or flowers on our table. I was very influenced by Danish friends growing up. As for cards, we consider them family keepsakes. :-)

The point of the card isn't just to give them the card. You have to write some thoughtful stuff inside. 

• Mike K. likes this

#4571 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 05:04 PM

The point of the card isn't just to give them the card. You have to write some thoughtful stuff inside. 

That card usually sits on the mantle for a few weeks and then goes into the recycling, which I then retrieve and put it in my used card stash.

A few years down the road...presto.   

Edited by Bingo, 17 January 2018 - 05:05 PM.

#4572 manuel

manuel
  • 595 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 06:17 PM

Easily, done it many times. The harder part is finding a place to go 40 km per hour going home from downtown. Easy if you are riding from langford.
"I know nothing"

#4573 JanionGuy

JanionGuy
  • 772 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 06:48 PM

That card usually sits on the mantle for a few weeks and then goes into the recycling, which I then retrieve and put it in my used card stash.

A few years down the road...presto.   

i used to get cards from somebody and they were unsigned.  Then you could re-card them! Seriously!

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#4574 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 17 January 2018 - 07:12 PM

I’ll come pick you up
  • VicHockeyFan and lanforod like this

#4575 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,240 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 17 January 2018 - 08:15 PM

Got Mrs. Lanforod to read this thread. After a good chuckle she told me I'm right and to save the money for travel.

#4576 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,240 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 17 January 2018 - 08:16 PM

I’ll come pick you up

Next day like today where I'm stuck at work, I'm calling rjag. Don't forget the heavy duty bike rack - will that fit on the Porsche?

• rjag likes this

#4577 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 17 January 2018 - 08:38 PM

Next day like today where I'm stuck at work, I'm calling rjag. Don't forget the heavy duty bike rack - will that fit on the Porsche?

got your choice of a truck or suv if you need me to haul metal!!! otherwise if we're just going for a burn then I'll bring the toy  :cheers:

• Matt R. and lanforod like this

#4578 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 18 January 2018 - 07:04 AM

We travel too....planning our next trip right now! We budget wisely. Meanwhile day-to-day life is made more pleasant with a vaseful of flowers. :-)

• rjag likes this

#4579 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 10:15 AM

Toys R Us is closing 1/5 of its stores in the US but has stated today that all Canadian stores (including Victoria) will remain open.

#4580 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 10:39 AM

Toys R Us is closing 1/5 of its stores in the US but has stated today that all Canadian stores (including Victoria) will remain open.

For now. Didn't Sears start down the same path?

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

10 user(s) are reading this topic

2 members, 8 guests, 0 anonymous users

pikabu, Rob Randall