* * * * - 3 votes

Victoria retail thread: retailer news, comings and goings

• Please log in to reply
8289 replies to this topic

#4701 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 08:10 AM

Good, that's way too far out IMO.  I'd rather they make a more urban location work like they did in Vancouver.  They probably would need more parking than the Vancouver one since there's no Skytrain here but still, let's get it within 5-8K of downtown somehow please.  Put it at Royal Oak golf course for all I care.

#4702 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 08:14 AM

All I care for is the gas station. Save 5-6 cents per fill-up? You betcha.

Wouldn't it be nice to have a Costco materialize here?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4703 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 08:17 AM

Speaking of future big box stores:  Does Loblaw still have plans to build a store at the former Mayfair Lanes site?  It's a shame that they tore down the bowling alley only to leave the land vacant for years...

• Hotel Mike and thundergun like this

#4704 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,742 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 08:17 AM

...Wouldn't it be nice to have a Costco materialize here?

Only if the Keating X Road exit from Hwy 17 were at long last upgraded.

• shoeflack likes this

#4705 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 08:19 AM

How about the Suburban Motors lot or the block where Honda and Denny's are across from Mayfair or better yet blow out the Tim Horton's and Esso next to the old Mayfair lanes property and put a Costco there. 

#4706 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 08:21 AM

Speaking of future big box stores:  Does Loblaw still have plans to build a store at the former Mayfair Lanes site?  It's a shame that they tore down the bowling alley only to leave the land vacant for years...

Not only a shame, but just plain bizarre. 

#4707 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,742 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 08:21 AM

If underground parking were part of the design, either of jonny's suggestions above would work.

#4708 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 08:23 AM

The reason why big companies bomb buildings on properties they acquire for long-term holds is due to lower property taxes. Loblaws had to show the municipality they were serious about redevelopment, so they drafted plans and submitted an application. Meanwhile they applied for a demolition permit. And bam, less property tax as they sit on the land for a decade or two.

My gut feeling is they're waiting to buy up the Douglas Street frontage.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4709 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 08:27 AM

Underground parking would be a must. 

I'd much prefer an urban location than out in the boonies. The whole big box store surrounded by acres of blacktop is soooooo 1999. Keating X Rd is deadsville.

Do something innovative Costco. Put some rental housing up top in a sleek, modern tower off Douglas St. Build it to Leed platinum standards. Integrate some of those solar panels they always seem to be trying to pawn off on us peasant folk. 

• VicHockeyFan, Nparker and nagel like this

#4710 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 08:28 AM

Underground parking would be a must. 

I'd much prefer an urban location than out in the boonies. The whole big box store surrounded by acres of blacktop is soooooo 1999. Keating X Rd is deadsville.

Do something innovative Costco. Put some rental housing up top in a sleek, modern tower off Douglas St. Build it to Leed platinum standards. Integrate some of those solar panels they always seem to be trying to pawn off on us peasant folk. 

The Costco in downtown Vancouver sits below 3 condo towers (Spectrum) and features underground parking.

• VicHockeyFan and Nparker like this

#4711 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 08:32 AM

Yes, and an easy connection to the viaduct to get people the heck out of dodge.

Unfortunately for Victoria, Costco requires adjacent freeway access to be successful due to our low population volume. Their products are packaged large and that requires a vehicle for 99% of clientele. Look at the absolute mess in Langford, I mean it's crazy how congested the area is and the roads are massive by our standards plus there's a freeway a stone's throw from the store.

• VicHockeyFan likes this

Know it all.

#4712 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 08:34 AM

Blanshard and Douglas are our closest things to freeways, so check. 

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#4713 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 08:39 AM

What about the Canadian Tire site on douglas? Whats happening there anyway

#4714 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 08:42 AM

Oh yeah, for sure. I was referring to a downtown Victoria location specifically.

Know it all.

#4715 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 08:55 AM

It's almost impossible for me to envisage a downtown Costco location because:

1. The sheer amount of land required is simply not available. 

2. It's hard to see Victoria City Council being amenable to such a "mega" project. 

3. The cost to acquire the land required would be astronomical. Easily into the $50M range in this market just for the land alone. 

4. Roadway ingress/egress challenges. 

#4716 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 09:09 AM

It's almost impossible for me to envisage a downtown Costco location because:

1. The sheer amount of land required is simply not available. 

2. It's hard to see Victoria City Council being amenable to such a "mega" project. 

3. The cost to acquire the land required would be astronomical. Easily into the $50M range in this market just for the land alone. 

4. Roadway ingress/egress challenges. 

it's only financially viable if they're a tenant in a mixed-use development (like the Spectrum development in downtown Vancouver).  The development would need to encompass an entire city block, and it would be hard to identify a 'candidate' block downtown where this would make sense from a land assembly perspective...

#4717 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 09:26 AM

I'm happy to just wait for an Amazon grocery store downtown. In our downtown you need a decent way to combat theft, I think Amazon does that.  I guess Costco does too, with their membership model.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#4718 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 09:39 AM

it's only financially viable if they're a tenant in a mixed-use development (like the Spectrum development in downtown Vancouver).  The development would need to encompass an entire city block, and it would be hard to identify a 'candidate' block downtown where this would make sense from a land assembly perspective...

Just spitballing here, but north of Caledonia to Uptown around Douglas and Blanshard has many properties or blocks that could work. 

#4719 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 14 March 2018 - 09:42 AM

What about the Canadian Tire site on douglas? Whats happening there anyway

That was supposed to be the new Audi dealership

#4720 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 14 March 2018 - 09:42 AM

Double posted

Edited by rjag, 14 March 2018 - 09:42 AM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users