* * * * - 3 votes

Victoria retail thread: retailer news, comings and goings

• Please log in to reply
8289 replies to this topic

#4761 manuel

manuel
  • 595 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 08:13 PM

Ummmm basic biology. Cats and dogs aren't ruminants and therefore don't produce methane. Now, a few people probably have pet cows, elk, bison or fish named Eric that do.
"I know nothing"

#4762 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 08:22 PM

People and their stupid pets. Destroying the planet too.

If we killed all pets global warming would be held at bay for another 40 years.

But nobody wants to do that or stop taking jet flights.

MAX.jpg

• Mike K., Nparker, bluefox and 6 others like this

#4763 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,738 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 08:40 PM

Rob Randall for the win.  :banana:

• sdwright.vic likes this

#4764 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 May 2018 - 06:36 AM

Ummmm basic biology. Cats and dogs aren't ruminants and therefore don't produce methane. Now, a few people probably have pet cows, elk, bison or fish named Eric that do.

https://www.greenand...climate-change/

Have you ever considered that cat and dog food show the pets’ impact on climate change? A study released on Wednesday showed how a geography professor at UCLA analyzed this issue. He calculated that through what they eat, the cats and dogs in the US produce around 64 million tons of carbon dioxide each year. This is the equivalent of 13.6 million cars that drive for a year straight.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#4765 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 03 May 2018 - 07:55 AM

People and their stupid pets. Destroying the planet too.

If we killed all pets global warming would be held at bay for another 40 years.

But nobody wants to do that or stop taking jet flights.

My mother takes her dog(s) on flights - double whammy!

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#4766 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 03 May 2018 - 08:18 AM

She also had kids - triple whammy! http://www.cbc.ca/ne...oices-1.4204206

• VicHockeyFan, Nparker and jonny like this

#4767 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 May 2018 - 08:22 AM

She must really, really, really hate this planet.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#4768 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 03 May 2018 - 08:35 AM

I really have to update that photo. Not only has the forum look changed, Max has lost some weight. But it is really hard to pose and get Max to make that same expression of exasperation. Maybe VHF has mellowed because lately Max's reactions are more like, "Actually, he brings up a good point...".

• Mike K., VicHockeyFan and Nparker like this

#4769 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 03 May 2018 - 08:51 AM

She must really, really, really hate this planet.

But she also drives a Prius.  It's a mixed message...  I think she hates some of the planet, but not all?

#4770 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 03 May 2018 - 09:51 AM

I really have to update that photo. Not only has the forum look changed, Max has lost some weight. But it is really hard to pose and get Max to make that same expression of exasperation. Maybe VHF has mellowed because lately Max's reactions are more like, "Actually, he brings up a good point...".

VHF has mellowed? I got the opposite impression, particularly the first month or so after quitting the high paying moderator job!  :banana:

#4771 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 04 May 2018 - 08:56 AM

Cascadia Liquor Store's application for a larger Quadra Village location (within the same shopping plaza) is going to CotW this Thursday morning.  City staff are in support of the application.

Did this pass?

Yes, passed as part of the consent agenda (i.e. no discussion, none opposed)

• Nparker likes this

#4772 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 10 May 2018 - 08:56 AM

Canadian Tire is buying Helly Hansen.  That's a decent brand.

• lanforod likes this

#4773 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 10 May 2018 - 11:33 AM

Shoppers on Douglas had their glass entry door shattered this morning.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#4774 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,550 posts

Posted 10 May 2018 - 04:39 PM

Money Mart on Douglas at Fisgard had theirs smashed the other day as well.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4775 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 10 May 2018 - 06:49 PM

Money Mart on Douglas at Fisgard had theirs smashed the other day as well.

That's probably political.

#4776 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,738 posts

Posted 09 June 2018 - 08:15 AM

Hopefully a new owner can be found. This is a cool, locally unique business and I'd hate to see it disappear.

BC Shaver and Hobbies, a downtown retail fixture born just over 50* years ago from one boy’s delinquency, is for sale with the owner looking to retire...it’s now the oldest hobby shop in Canada. Also, where it was once one of 18 such shops on Vancouver Island, it is now one of three...The product lines have provided a unique customer base, he said. Customers are always cheerful because they are pursuing their own unique passion...everybody who comes in is happy,” said [owner Garnett] Rancier...“We have an enjoyable product, a wonderful product,” he said. “It’s fun.”

http://www.timescolo...ears-1.23330655

* The TC contradicts itself with the age of the business, saying "the original shop began in 1952 on Broad Street"

#4777 Brantastic

Brantastic
  • 924 posts

Posted 09 June 2018 - 09:14 AM

Anyone have any idea of the future of the Dollar Tree building on Douglas? They received a stop work order well over a year ago due to asbestos and other unsafe conditions but it has just sat empty ever since. Any plans to actually do something about it, or are we going to have an abandoned dollar store on Douglas for years to come?

#4778 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,738 posts

Posted 09 June 2018 - 09:37 AM

Anyone have any idea of the future of the Dollar Tree building on Douglas? ...

I'd love to see someone buy this building and do a complete remodel and restoration. I am not entirely sure what sort of occupancy this might lead to, but it's such a high profile location that I think it would be worth the investment. There must have once been a decent building somewhere underneath all that horrible mid-20th century cladding. 

1420 Douglas.JPG

Edited by Nparker, 09 June 2018 - 09:40 AM.

#4779 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 09 June 2018 - 10:28 AM

I said before here that I’d like to see the Rialto next door build an adjoining boutique hotel. Something modern and significant, whatever that means, lol.
  • Nparker and jonny like this

#4780 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 09 June 2018 - 12:43 PM

If you get a chance, peek through the windows of the Dollar Tree building. They've taken out the asbestos tile and you can see the original hardwood flooring. Also the original two street entrances with the inlayed ceramic tile floor before the buildings were merged into one. If that original facade is OK beneath that stucco this could be a stunning heritage restoration.

• Nparker likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users