Victoria retail thread: retailer news, comings and goings

• Please log in to reply
8289 replies to this topic

#4781 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,594 posts

Posted 09 June 2018 - 02:44 PM

Hopefully a new owner can be found. This is a cool, locally unique business and I'd hate to see it disappear.

* The TC contradicts itself with the age of the business, saying "the original shop began in 1952 on Broad Street"

That is a real shame, I have spent countless hours not to mention $$$'s in that store. It was more often than not my go-to place whenever I bought model railroading items for my dad over the years, who was a model RR fanatic. I am too to a lesser extent so I shall likely make at least one more trek to see what bargains might be had. Can't blame the owner - family should always trump "business" - but its too bad they apparently could not find a buyer to take and carry it on.

• Mike K. likes this

#4782 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 09 June 2018 - 04:03 PM

Tons of expensive Downtown square footage devoted to expensive slow-moving stock is the enemy of successful retail. Any potential buyer of BC Shaver would have to carefully examine the books to see what portion is the most profitable. 

The strange paradox about local retail is, yes, the Internet is taking away business--but it is also adding business through mail order. If BC Shaver moves their inventory online they could be doing business throughout North America. A lot of hobbyists would rather build a relationship with an experienced retailer through mail order than to take chances with a variety of fly-by-night Amazon sellers.

• jonny and Midnightly like this

#4783 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,007 posts

Posted 10 June 2018 - 07:36 AM

Tons of expensive Downtown square footage devoted to expensive slow-moving stock is the enemy of successful retail. Any potential buyer of BC Shaver would have to carefully examine the books to see what portion is the most profitable. 

The strange paradox about local retail is, yes, the Internet is taking away business--but it is also adding business through mail order. If BC Shaver moves their inventory online they could be doing business throughout North America. A lot of hobbyists would rather build a relationship with an experienced retailer through mail order than to take chances with a variety of fly-by-night Amazon sellers.

True but when you have an inventory where 95% of the product are single units then it is hard to rationalize the costs of moving that inventory online vs the expected return.

#4784 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 16 June 2018 - 02:14 PM

This is the Mount Douglas Apartments (which of course is nowhere near Mt. Doug, it's at the Fort St. Junction). You know it better as the Sound Hounds building. The Railhead store is in the old Figaro Barber unit, in fact, their sign is still there.

Hello to all the fans of the Railhead. This is a much needed update on the status of the Railhead. Unfortunately we have hit the proverbial fly in the ointment...big surprise as things with the Railhead never seem to go to plan!!! So it is with great sadness that after 10 and a half years I have to inform everyone that as of now the Railhead's store front is closed immediately and permanently at the 1524 Pandora location. This was not our choice but was forced on us by the owner of the building in which we were located. The details and whys and wherefores for us vacating are unimportant suffice to say the owner of the building has made up his mind and will not change it no matter what we say or do. So where does that leave the Railhead? We are taking a little time to revaluate our options and see what direction we proceed in. Please stay tuned to our page for further updates. I would like to take this time to say thank you to all our customers and friends from over the years for making the Railhead the unique and interesting place that it was and hopefully will be again. The final train has left the Pandora Railhead station...destination unknown... Thank you to all from the Railhead....so much for the reno job...sigh...

• jonny likes this

#4785 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 16 June 2018 - 02:41 PM

Perhaps a development is in the works. That build would be a great podium for say a 10 or 15 storey tower
  • jonny likes this

#4786 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,711 posts

Posted 16 June 2018 - 03:41 PM

...The final train has left the Pandora Railhead station...destination unknown...

Trains and Pandora Avenue just can't catch a break, can they?

#4787 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 18 June 2018 - 10:23 AM

Has anyone heard anything regarding the empty, old Canadian Tire building on Douglas?  Thought we would have heard something by now

#4788 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,235 posts

Posted 18 June 2018 - 03:51 PM

I've always thought that the Oak Bay Junction would work very well as a roundabout. I hope any development of the Sound Hounds building doesn't negatively effect that future possibility.

Don't be so sure.:cool:

#4789 pennymurphy2000

pennymurphy2000
  • 419 posts

Posted 18 June 2018 - 09:28 PM

Has anyone heard anything regarding the empty, old Canadian Tire building on Douglas?  Thought we would have heard something by now

What person in their right mind would even contemplate opening a business in that location? 

#4790 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,711 posts

Posted 18 June 2018 - 09:29 PM

What person in their right mind would even contemplate opening a business in that location? 

It might make a good pot-shop supermarket.

• pennymurphy2000 likes this

#4791 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 19 June 2018 - 10:07 AM

Good spot for Mazda to relocate to.

• RFS and Brantastic like this

#4792 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,007 posts

Posted 19 June 2018 - 10:11 AM

Nobody which is why CT moved.

#4793 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,711 posts

Posted 19 June 2018 - 10:19 AM

Nobody which is why CT moved.

And the neighbourhood hasn't exactly gentrified since then.

• pennymurphy2000 likes this

#4794 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 19 June 2018 - 10:24 AM

Good spot for Mazda to relocate to.

How about a nice new Mazda dealership on one side and a tesla store on the other

#4795 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,507 posts

Posted 19 June 2018 - 10:25 AM

But there is a new Audi and Maserati dealership going in next door.
  • rjag likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4796 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 19 June 2018 - 10:34 AM

and?

#4797 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,711 posts

Posted 19 June 2018 - 10:40 AM

A rose among thorns.

#4798 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,507 posts

Posted 19 June 2018 - 10:44 AM

and?

...and Mayfair just plunked over $70 million into a modernization.

There's nothing wrong with the former Canadian Tire location. It just hasn't made the news yet.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4799 pennymurphy2000

pennymurphy2000
  • 419 posts

Posted 19 June 2018 - 11:30 AM

Shoplifting in stores around that area have seen a huge spike in thefts since the Super 8 motel opened. Lifestyles Market and the dollar store have been hit really hard. Several friends now avoid the Pier 1 in town and drive the 15 minutes to the Langford shop due to feeling unsafe with unsavoury types hanging around the area. I personally don't go to Lifestyles Market anymore due to being hassled by a few sketchy gentlemen on more than 1 occasion. 

Edited by pennymurphy2000, 19 June 2018 - 11:30 AM.

#4800 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 19 June 2018 - 11:35 AM

Shoplifting in stores around that area have seen a huge spike in thefts since the Super 8 motel opened. Lifestyles Market and the dollar store have been hit really hard. Several friends now avoid the Pier 1 in town and drive the 15 minutes to the Langford shop due to feeling unsafe with unsavoury types hanging around the area. I personally don't go to Lifestyles Market anymore due to being hassled by a few sketchy gentlemen on more than 1 occasion. 

Well, Shoplifting is absolutely obscene downtown especially at the Bay Center, and yet they are putting in a Winners

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users