* * * * - 3 votes

Victoria retail thread: retailer news, comings and goings

• Please log in to reply
8289 replies to this topic

#4861 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 27 August 2018 - 07:45 AM

That home hardware lot would be a great lot for development.  Say, 7 or 8 storeys?

Edited by RFS, 27 August 2018 - 07:46 AM.

#4862 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 27 August 2018 - 07:46 AM

Not sure if this has been mentioned before, but it looks like Lululemon is opening a second permanent Victoria location at Uptown. They've had a pop-up seasonal store there before, but this is a permanent location in the block that includes Forever 21 and H&M.

#4863 Citified.ca

Citified.ca
  • Administrator
  • 2,290 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 27 August 2018 - 09:57 AM

Excellent, shoe.

This will bring their locations to two on the Island. The company's casual-ware partner, Kit & Ace, closed its retail location that opened in 2015 several storefronts down from the Johnson Street Lululemon.

Lululemon Athletica to open second Victoria location

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4864 thundergun

thundergun
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 29 August 2018 - 11:17 AM

Some more retail space to be available at Mayfair - Town shoes closing in January:

https://www.cbc.ca/n...anada-1.4803058

#4865 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 29 August 2018 - 11:36 AM

Some more retail space to be available at Mayfair - Town shoes closing in January:

https://www.cbc.ca/n...anada-1.4803058

townshoes has already been gone for a while

#4866 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 30 August 2018 - 05:25 PM

The convenience store next to Lyle’s Place (near Cineplex Odeon) has closed.

#4867 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,867 posts

Posted 30 August 2018 - 05:30 PM

The convenience store next to Lyle’s Place (near Cineplex Odeon) has closed.

cinema foods.  it's becoming a pot dispensary.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 30 August 2018 - 05:30 PM.

#4868 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 30 August 2018 - 06:02 PM

Because we have so few of those downtown.  :whyme:

#4869 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 31 August 2018 - 06:26 AM

I'm very curious about all these pot shops. I'm personally not interested in pot, but with the number of shops that seem to be opening, is there going to be that much business for them all? Maybe I'm just out of touch with pot demand, lol.

• Nparker likes this

#4870 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 31 August 2018 - 07:59 AM

I'm very curious about all these pot shops. I'm personally not interested in pot, but with the number of shops that seem to be opening, is there going to be that much business for them all? Maybe I'm just out of touch with pot demand, lol.

In my opinion what we have seen in the past couple of years are the street dealers moving inside. I doubt that consumption has changed a lot. After pot is legalized I am sure that we will see a bump in consumption but there will also be lots of new competition. We will have Government shops, pharmacies as well as First Nations outlets all over the place.  I don't see how all of the existing retailers will survive even if they get licenses. 

#4871 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 31 August 2018 - 08:05 AM

All pot shops will have to purchase their product through the province.

...A licensee must purchase their non-medical cannabis supply directly from the Liquor Distribution Branch. They are not permitted to purchase any cannabis products directly from a federally licenced producer, other licenced retail store, or any other source...

This might cut into the number of shops that continue to operate at least those being licensed by the CoV.

More information here.

#4872 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 31 August 2018 - 08:16 AM

I don't see how all of the existing retailers will survive even if they get licenses. 

I don't expect they will.  It's a bit of a horse race, jockeying for position, <insert another horse* metaphor here> and once the novelty bump wears off there will be consolidation and reduction.  This is true for any new** market I think.

* Except heroin

** New in this case being legal new

#4873 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 31 August 2018 - 08:29 AM

All pot shops will have to purchase their product through the province.

This might cut into the number of shops that continue to operate at least those being licensed by the CoV.

More information here.

The First Nations groups are arguing that they are exempt. I guess the Feds could send in the RCMP to raid operations just like they have with native smokes! (not). 

https://www.cbc.ca/n...sales-1.4645525

Jean-Guy Whiteduck, chief of the Kitigan Zibi Anishnabeg in Quebec, said marijuana dispensaries are set to explode on reserves in the same way tobacco shacks spread in the 1990s, triggering a nearly three-decade long battle over untaxed cigarettes that continues to this day.

My bet is that within 12 months there will be more natives 'tokes' operations on the Island then there are all other forms of retail combined.

Edited by spanky123, 31 August 2018 - 08:30 AM.

#4874 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 31 August 2018 - 08:34 AM

...My bet is that within 12 months there will be more natives 'tokes' operations on the Island then there are all other forms of retail combined...

If it diminishes the plethora of shops in the CoV, more power to them.

#4875 gstc84

gstc84
  • 521 posts

Posted 31 August 2018 - 08:38 AM

The manager of the Odeon Theatre commented on the VV Facebook post about this to say it's not true - it's becoming a Korean ice cream shop.

• Nparker likes this

#4876 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 31 August 2018 - 08:42 AM

...it's becoming a Korean ice cream shop.

Do you suppose they will they sell this?

#4877 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 31 August 2018 - 08:44 AM

The First Nations groups are arguing that they are exempt. I guess the Feds could send in the RCMP to raid operations just like they have with native smokes! (not). 

https://www.cbc.ca/n...sales-1.4645525

Jean-Guy Whiteduck, chief of the Kitigan Zibi Anishnabeg in Quebec, said marijuana dispensaries are set to explode on reserves in the same way tobacco shacks spread in the 1990s, triggering a nearly three-decade long battle over untaxed cigarettes that continues to this day.

My bet is that within 12 months there will be more natives 'tokes' operations on the Island then there are all other forms of retail combined.

What would be the legality of non-natives shopping there?

#4878 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 31 August 2018 - 08:51 AM

What would be the legality of non-natives shopping there?

Well if you look to "native smokes" operations as an example, 99% of the business is from non-natives buying cigarettes tax free from reserve shops. As both VHF and I have pointed out in the past, that business represents 1/3 of all cigarette sales in Provinces with operations.

Legally, shops would be required to charge taxes to non-status buyers and the police are supposed to enforce that but in practice neither of that happens. I think that once or twice the RCMP set up checkpoints on roads just outside of reserves and tried to fine people who had purchased cigarettes but that proved to be impractical and politically sensitive. I think that it would be even harder with pot as a buyer would just throw away any packaging and just claim that the loose bud was in their possession before they entered the reserve. 

What makes it interesting in BC (imho) is that because there is dispute over the status of many treaties, courts in some cases have allowed fee simple land owned by FN to be treated the same way as reserve land. That could potentially mean a lot more options for pot shops in a lot more prominent locations than just reserves, although I am sure that if the price was $5 a gram vs $11 a gram then people would have no issues driving to one of the many local reserves.

Edited by spanky123, 31 August 2018 - 08:53 AM.

#4879 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 31 August 2018 - 08:55 AM

...courts in some cases have allowed fee simple land owned by FN to be treated the same way as reserve land. That could potentially mean a lot more options for pot shops in a lot more prominent locations than just reserves. 

If this is true, where are the off-reserve First Nations tobacco shops?

Edited by Nparker, 31 August 2018 - 08:55 AM.

#4880 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 31 August 2018 - 08:58 AM

If this is true, where are the off-reserve First Nations tobacco shops?

I'm not sure if we have the large native smokes operation that other provinces have

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users