* * * * - 3 votes

Victoria retail thread: retailer news, comings and goings

• Please log in to reply
8260 replies to this topic

#4881 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,971 posts

Posted 31 August 2018 - 09:51 AM

If this is true, where are the off-reserve First Nations tobacco shops?

I don't know of any here. Most of the cigarettes are made on reserve in Quebec so perhaps shipping costs are an issue . It could also be that they can sell everything they can make in out East so why bother.

#4882 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 02 September 2018 - 07:53 PM

Quebec used to estimate their illegal smoke sales were about 50% of all smoke sales. They have reduced it to about 15% with the use of a 60 person team.

Ontario with a team of only 5 has reduced their percentage by only 3%.

Part of the problem in Ontario is the more strict search and seizure laws that Quebec doesn't suffer from.

Edited by LJ, 02 September 2018 - 07:54 PM.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#4883 Citified.ca

Citified.ca
  • Administrator
  • 2,285 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 05 September 2018 - 06:23 AM

Victoria-Public-Market's-Olive-the-Senses-closes-doors-after-six-years-in-business.jpg

Olive the Senses, a purveyor of oils and vinegars at the Victoria Public Market, has closed  six years in business. Owners Emily and Steve Lycopolus say they will remain in the olive oil industry, although future retailing plans for their products are yet to be determined. 

Victoria Public Market's Olive the Senses closes doors after six years in business

https://victoria.cit...rs-in-business/

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4884 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 06:50 AM

No hint as to why?

#4885 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,164 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 06:54 AM

Nope.

It could have been that the lease terminated at this juncture and the operators decided not to renew? It's a real shame. I was quite fond of the place.

• Nparker likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4886 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 06:56 AM

It was a cool idea.  I couldn't afford anything in there personally though.  And by that I mean I'd rather my hipster spending money go to craft beer not craft olive oil.

#4887 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,164 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 07:00 AM

The thing is you could purchase the little bottles for a very low price and they last a very, very long time.

Know it all.

#4888 TransplantedEdmontonian

TransplantedEdmontonian
  • 39 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 05 September 2018 - 07:10 AM

I never shopped at this one for high-end vinegar or olive oils, but you can get your fix of high-end Italian products at the Tuscan Kitchen on View street with an exterior entrance of the Bay Centre.  I use them regularly for balsamic and olive oil:  https://www.thetuscankitchen.com/

• Mike K. likes this

#4889 grantpalin

grantpalin
  • 804 posts

Posted 06 September 2018 - 10:21 PM

According to Memory Express, they are opening a Victoria location this fall in the plaza where Blanshard meets Hillside. [source]

• pennymurphy2000 likes this

#4890 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 07 September 2018 - 07:21 AM

Nope.

It could have been that the lease terminated at this juncture and the operators decided not to renew? It's a real shame. I was quite fond of the place.

They also gained competition a while back from the little place in the 700 block of Broughton with pretty much the same business model.

#4891 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,300 posts

Posted 07 September 2018 - 07:25 AM

600 blk but yes

https://www.olivethisandmore.com/

• Greg likes this

#4892 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,164 posts

Posted 07 September 2018 - 07:57 AM

Right! And I believe there is one more with similar product?

Know it all.

#4893 Danma

Danma
  • 888 posts

Posted 07 September 2018 - 12:26 PM

Memory Express is opening up shop in Victoria, near the Boston Pizza on Blanchard. Memory Express is a chain of computer parts and consumer electronics stores that are known for competitive prices and selection.

Victoria has hitherto not had much competition in this space, so this is great news!

#4894 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,300 posts

Posted 07 September 2018 - 12:53 PM

is it like tigerdirect?

#4895 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,971 posts

Posted 07 September 2018 - 02:50 PM

Memory Express is opening up shop in Victoria, near the Boston Pizza on Blanchard. Memory Express is a chain of computer parts and consumer electronics stores that are known for competitive prices and selection.

Victoria has hitherto not had much competition in this space, so this is great news!

You are kidding right? Amazon.

#4896 Mattjvd

Mattjvd
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 07 September 2018 - 03:14 PM

Also, Mother Computers is just on other end of that parking lot.

#4897 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,861 posts

Posted 07 September 2018 - 03:19 PM

We boight up a VR rig last Christmas, amazon wasn’t competitive for parts at all. Is there still a Canada RAM on Bay Street?

Matt.

#4898 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 07 September 2018 - 03:27 PM

Also, Mother Computers is just on other end of that parking lot.

The other Boston Pizza on Blanshard  ;)

Memory Express is going in at Blanshard and Hillside, not Blanshard and Saanich

• Mattjvd likes this

#4899 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 07 September 2018 - 03:32 PM

You are kidding right? Amazon.

For most hardcore PC gamers and folks who build/repair their own computers, Amazon is not the best place to go. Quality wise and price wise.

Same reason why most people who buy car parts don't do it on Amazon despite the availability

#4900 Jason-L

Jason-L
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 07 September 2018 - 04:01 PM

We boight up a VR rig last Christmas, amazon wasn’t competitive for parts at all. Is there still a Canada RAM on Bay Street?

Matt.

He's shut down the store, sadly.  Was a year ago or so.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Facebook (2)