* * * * - 3 votes

Victoria retail thread: retailer news, comings and goings

• Please log in to reply
8289 replies to this topic

#4981 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 07 November 2018 - 06:33 PM

...Not a particularly awful looking building, but rather dated...

Which means it perfectly fits the Douglas Street motif.

• Brantastic likes this

#4982 Brantastic

Brantastic
  • 924 posts

Posted 07 November 2018 - 07:06 PM

It's amazing to me that with all the development going on around downtown there hasn't been much effort to breathe any kind of life into Douglas Street, downtown's main corridor (besides Douglas House). I suppose the fact that it's straddling the edge of Old Town limits what can be done with the sites there.

Anyways, I guess I'm getting off topic.

• aastra likes this

#4983 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 07 November 2018 - 08:04 PM

...I suppose the fact that it's straddling the edge of Old Town limits what can be done with the sites there....

That shouldn't be a limitation, but you're probably right.

#4984 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 08 November 2018 - 10:49 AM

I understand the new Shoppers will have a substantial grocery department, perhaps all of one floor.

Now we need a great proposal for the redevelopment of the current Shoppers property.

They have cancelled the grocery section in regard to any fresh products except milk and cheese
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#4985 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 08 November 2018 - 10:58 AM

Oh whuttt? That's too bad.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4986 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 08 November 2018 - 11:01 AM

[Shoppers] have cancelled the grocery section in regard to any fresh products except milk and cheese

It's good for the new Save-on-Foods.

#4987 aastra

aastra
  • 20,753 posts

Posted 08 November 2018 - 11:05 AM

Anyways, I guess I'm getting off topic.

It bugs everyone when you do that.

#4988 aastra

aastra
  • 20,753 posts

Posted 08 November 2018 - 11:11 AM

...It's amazing to me that with all the development going on around downtown there hasn't been much effort to breathe any kind of life into Douglas Street, downtown's main corridor...

This is what I mean when I say things shift around. Some streets and some areas haven't really participated in the recent boom. Some key properties remain asleep, etc.

#4989 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 08 November 2018 - 12:31 PM

Unable to obtain a sustainable source according to front end manager
  • Mike K. likes this
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#4990 UDeMan

UDeMan
  • 747 posts

Posted 08 November 2018 - 02:41 PM

this most likely will be like the others shoppers with a freezer and cooler section.  Most have eggs, dairy, etc

lots of freezer friendly products, maybe some frozen veggies, but not much fresh.

I've seen bananas and small bags of onions sold at other shoppers.

produce has lots of waste and requires more staff.  Costco has the most efficient produce section. Everything pre-bagged, no weighing required, less waste.

#4991 thundergun

thundergun
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 08 November 2018 - 02:51 PM

Costco has the most efficient produce section. Everything pre-bagged, no weighing required, less waste.

If you ignore the excessive plastic packaging of every product you have a point.

• Brantastic likes this

#4992 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 15 November 2018 - 08:34 PM

The Philippine-Oriental Grocery on Quadra near Tolmie is closed. The owners have retired and the store is vacant. It was a quirky little store filled with imported food, phone cards and dusty knickknacks.

#4993 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 16 November 2018 - 06:05 AM

Hmm, I’m having a hard time picturing the location. Was it closer to Hillside?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4994 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 16 November 2018 - 07:05 AM

No, it's a kilometre past Hillside, just inside the Victoria border.

Capture.JPG

Edited by Rob Randall, 16 November 2018 - 07:07 AM.

• Mike K. likes this

#4995 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 16 November 2018 - 08:50 AM

I only managed to go in there once when it was open.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#4996 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 16 November 2018 - 02:20 PM

I've never been in a Costco, but if all produce is pre-bagged that wouldn't suit us at all. That would result in more waste as we like to buy only what we need for a short time period. I guess it's good if you have ten kids and don't like to select your own veg and fruit, but have some stranger do it for you.

• Mystic-Pizza likes this

#4997 Brantastic

Brantastic
  • 924 posts

Posted 16 November 2018 - 09:28 PM

Probably the wrong thread seeing as it's not retail but I wasn't sure where to post. Quazar's Arcade in Trounce Alley is now open!

• Rob Randall likes this

#4998 Mystic-Pizza

Mystic-Pizza
  • 623 posts

Posted 17 November 2018 - 12:02 AM

Well someone is finally taking a chance and opening up an brand new 80';s themed Video Arcade right here in Victoria.  As reported on C-Fax the following article:

A bit of 80's nostalgia is coming to Trounce Alley later this fall, a brand new arcade. 

Quazar's Arcade will have 20 arcade machines from the 80s and 90s, as well as 20 pinball machines ranging from the 80s all the way to brand new machines.

Arcades have been making a big surge in the Pacific North West, and co-owners Steve Webb and Justin Lafreniere say they wanted to meet the demand in Victoria.

Webb says arcades have a museum like quality due to the age of the machines.

"The arcade machines that people want to play, they're from the 80s.  We have ones here from the 70s.  These games in some cases are 40 years old.  We put a lot of time and effort into putting them back up into working condition, and we want people to come down and enjoy them.  These things were the basis of, you know gaming is such a huge industry now, and this is where it started with these arcade machines."

Quazar's Arcade will be home to many second-hand arcade machines, which the co-owners have restored to working condition.  Lafreniere says a majority of the machines, especially the arcade games, came from private collectors.

"You start on Craigslist, you start on Used Victoria, stuff like that.  And then that ends up being like a kind of trail you follow down.  You meet one person who's got one game and then it turns out they've got 30 sitting in their garage."

Webb and Lafreniere say they originally planned to gear their business toward young families like their own, so that parents could bring their kids to have the same experience they had as kids.  But Webb says they have also attracted a whole different market.

"We've had a lot of interest from the tech companies in town who want to do team building events.  Lots of people want to rent the place for private parties, we're doing Christmas parties, we're doing Birthday parties, so that's been huge. And really all these people who think they might be interested in pinball should come down and see what it's like to play 20 really nice machines."

Quazar's will have 40 machines on the floor, but they also have a surplus of machines that still need to be refurbished and restored, and once that's done they can rotate the games in and out to make it a fresh new experience every time you visit.

They add they were more drawn to arcade games, but by the time they were done, a huge investment had been put into pinball.  Webb says the brand new pinball machines are a whole other experience than the old ones, and have really caught their attention.

Once open, the all-ages arcade will be running from noon to 8pm, 7 days a week.

Get ready for some Double Dragon, Street Fighter, Pac Man, Altered Beast etc.   Here is a link to their instagram page showing many of the units they will have. https://www.instagra.../quazarsarcade/

Original article http://www.iheartrad...-fall-1.8564802

Edited by Mystic-Pizza, 17 November 2018 - 12:10 AM.

• Rob Randall and thundergun like this

#4999 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 17 November 2018 - 12:09 AM

Quazar's Arcade sounds like fun!, wonder if they will have retro prices too  (quarters per play vrs loonies and toonies or tokens)

#5000 Mystic-Pizza

Mystic-Pizza
  • 623 posts

Posted 17 November 2018 - 12:13 AM

Quazar's Arcade sounds like fun!, wonder if they will have retro prices too  (quarters per play vrs loonies and toonies or tokens)

Yep, they will have their own personalized Tokens. If you click on the instagram link above you can see a picture of the tokens as well as tons of photos of the game units they will have.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users

Google (1)