* * * * - 3 votes

Victoria retail thread: retailer news, comings and goings

• Please log in to reply
8289 replies to this topic

#5001 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 17 November 2018 - 08:43 AM

Quazar's Arcade sounds like fun!, wonder if they will have retro prices too  (quarters per play vrs loonies and toonies or tokens)

Would be nice if it were quarters but the reality is likely that it would need to be toonies to justify the cost of operations.

#5002 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 17 November 2018 - 09:36 AM

I’m guessing the machines from Famous Original ended up there?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5003 laconic

laconic
  • 741 posts

Posted 17 November 2018 - 11:25 AM

Speaking of Famous Original, I saw a tradesperson coming out of there on Thursday.

#5004 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 17 November 2018 - 02:14 PM

Yep, they will have their own personalized Tokens. If you click on the instagram link above you can see a picture of the tokens as well as tons of photos of the game units they will have.

I LOVE pinball but am not very good at it. So I'm not likely to frequent this place that much. The way I play, I would prefer a pay for a certain period of time model. Having to pay for each play, I go through too much money!

#5005 SimonH

SimonH
  • 913 posts

Posted 17 November 2018 - 03:48 PM

Speaking of Famous Original, I saw a tradesperson coming out of there on Thursday.

Chuckburger. Prepare to loosen the belt buckle.

#5006 UDeMan

UDeMan
  • 745 posts

Posted 17 November 2018 - 04:09 PM

Yep, they will have their own personalized Tokens. If you click on the instagram link above you can see a picture of the tokens as well as tons of photos of the game units they will have.

From the Times Colonist article

Game tokens at Quazar’s Arcade are 50 cents each, which is relatively cheap; arcade games will use one token, while the majority of their pinball games require two tokens.

Three machines in the shop cost three tokens. “Those are heavily modified, premium machines, so we think $1.50 to play those is fair,” Webb said. The most desirable machine in the arcade — a 2017 Alien pinball machine that is one of 120 made — will cost players five tokens.

https://www.timescol...zard-1.23501351

• Mystic-Pizza likes this

#5007 gstc84

gstc84
  • 521 posts

Posted 17 November 2018 - 04:43 PM

Went to Quazar’s today and had a blast. All the machines are in great shape (especially the pinball machines), and felt we got good value for our money. The place was packed with all ages. Only complaint would be the machines rejected the tokens at least 50% of the time, so we had to keep inserting them over and over until they were recognized.

Burgertime is just as addictive and frustrating as it was when I was 6.
  • Danma and Mystic-Pizza like this

#5008 Mystic-Pizza

Mystic-Pizza
  • 623 posts

Posted 17 November 2018 - 04:46 PM

Went to Quazar’s today and had a blast. All the machines are in great shape (especially the pinball machines), and felt we got good value for our money. The place was packed with all ages. Only complaint would be the machines rejected the tokens at least 50% of the time, so we had to keep inserting them over and over until they were recognized.

Burgertime is just as addictive and frustrating as it was when I was 6.

Did they have altered beast, time cop, and street fighter there?

#5009 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,009 posts

Posted 17 November 2018 - 05:08 PM

Did they have the Neo Geo multi game unit?

Matt.

#5010 grantpalin

grantpalin
  • 804 posts

Posted 18 November 2018 - 12:16 AM

There is work being done on the northeast building in the Quadra Village plaza, a bit removed from the building containing the liquor store, pharmacy, and Mac's. No visible indication of what might be going in there that I could see while leaving Fairway. It looked like it had been empty for some time, no idea what was there previously.

Edited by grantpalin, 18 November 2018 - 12:17 AM.

#5011 kenmuir

kenmuir
  • 84 posts

Posted 18 November 2018 - 07:06 AM

There is work being done on the northeast building in the Quadra Village plaza, a bit removed from the building containing the liquor store, pharmacy, and Mac's. No visible indication of what might be going in there that I could see while leaving Fairway. It looked like it had been empty for some time, no idea what was there previously.

There was something a couple of months back about that very same liquor relocating for additional space.

Previously, it was an Aaron's furniture.
  • Kapten Kapsell likes this

#5012 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 18 November 2018 - 09:14 AM

Yup, Cascadia’s expansion.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5013 Mystic-Pizza

Mystic-Pizza
  • 623 posts

Posted 18 November 2018 - 09:36 AM

Is it an expansion to the current spot, or a complete move over to the new building?

#5014 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 18 November 2018 - 02:14 PM

They'll be moving over.

Know it all.

#5015 grantpalin

grantpalin
  • 804 posts

Posted 18 November 2018 - 11:44 PM

I've been in their current store a few times, it's not large. Eyeing the empty storefront from across the lot, it looks a fair bit bigger. I'm somehow reminded of the liquor store in Cook Street Village moving from its little hole-in-the-wall location to the former bank space.

#5016 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 19 November 2018 - 08:35 AM

Chuckburger. Prepare to loosen the belt buckle.

Finally, don't have to go all the way to Sidney for Chuck's!

• shoeflack likes this

#5017 gstc84

gstc84
  • 521 posts

Posted 19 November 2018 - 10:42 AM

Did they have altered beast, time cop, and street fighter there?

I don't remember seeing any of these three, but maybe one of them was there. I'm not much of a shooter/fighter guy so walked past that section. Plus there were so many people crowded around each machine it was hard to see everything.

Did they have the Neo Geo multi game unit?

Matt.

There was definitely a Neo Geo unit. Saw folks playing Puzzle Bobble - not sure what other games were on the machine.

We mostly stayed on the pinball side of the arcade. I had a pretty good run on the Lord of the Rings table. Snack offerings were pretty limited to chips, coffee, and Phillip's sodas, but I've heard they're trying to get licensed.

• Matt R. and jasmineshinga like this

#5018 Danma

Danma
  • 889 posts

Posted 19 November 2018 - 03:44 PM

There was definitely a Neo Geo unit. Saw folks playing Puzzle Bobble - not sure what other games were on the machine.

We mostly stayed on the pinball side of the arcade. I had a pretty good run on the Lord of the Rings table. Snack offerings were pretty limited to chips, coffee, and Phillip's sodas, but I've heard they're trying to get licensed.

Dang it, for some reason the machine would only let me play Metal Slug 4. I love Bust-a-move/Puzzle Bobble... :)

Edited by Danma, 19 November 2018 - 03:44 PM.

• gstc84 likes this

#5019 Mystic-Pizza

Mystic-Pizza
  • 623 posts

Posted 24 November 2018 - 10:01 PM

Finally got down to Quazar's today and got some pics. Here is just a small sample of some of the Pinball machines and Arcade game machines they have down there.

The After Burner I believe is the earlier version before the one that you would sit in that moved when you put the After Burners on.

Edited by Mystic-Pizza, 24 November 2018 - 10:02 PM.

#5020 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 28 November 2018 - 07:24 AM

I remember playing offroad in the arcade as a kid.
  • Mystic-Pizza likes this

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users