Victoria retail thread: retailer news, comings and goings

• Please log in to reply
8289 replies to this topic

#5121 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,474 posts

Posted 06 February 2019 - 07:59 AM

One only has to look at what's happening at University Heights to get a sense of what's possible at Tillicum.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5122 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 06 February 2019 - 09:30 AM

Perhaps part of the issue is we still have a lot of areas that are shockingly undeveloped before we get to shopping malls. One area that comes to mind is the old island highway through view royal. That stretch has a lot of old tear downs, vacant lots, a few crappy commercial buildings. It’s crying out for condos and ground floor commercial
  • jasmineshinga likes this

#5123 aastra

aastra
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 06 February 2019 - 09:33 AM

Tuscany village and those other examples were built as residential, not added on later.

But what difference does that make? Some psychological thing for us old timers? What about young people and newcomers? Why would they care? They wouldn't even remember what a mall property was like prior to residential development.

And what about Uptown? Would residential at Uptown = "added on later" or completion of the remaining undeveloped parcels?

Like I say, people have been living in apartments and houses directly across the street from these malls for decades. Why can't the apartment building cross the road? What are we chicken about?

#5124 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 06 February 2019 - 09:40 AM

But what difference does that make? Some psychological thing for us old timers? What about young people and newcomers? Why would they care? They wouldn't even remember what a mall property was like prior to residential development.

And what about Uptown? Would residential at Uptown = "added on later" or completion of the remaining undeveloped parcels?

Like I say, people have been living in apartments and houses directly across the street from these malls for decades. Why can't the apartment building cross the road? What are we chicken about?

Parking.

As someone who has done public consultation for a major mall redevelopment, this is the number one issue that continually comes up. People think that the current parking situation is awful (for them personally), and can't imagine how bad it will be if housing is introduced (despite that housing coming with a new parkade, transit improvements, road improvements, sidewalk improvements, and dedicated car share spaces in the case of my project). If they feel that it will be more difficult for them to drive across the city and park at the mall on Boxing Day, then they're vehemently opposed to anything new on that site. 

• Brantastic and SgtNeonPanda like this

#5125 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,678 posts

Posted 06 February 2019 - 09:41 AM

...If they feel that it will be more difficult for them to drive across the city and park at the mall on Boxing Day, then they're vehemently opposed to anything new on that site. 

People are feeling too much and thinking too little in our world today.

#5126 aastra

aastra
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 06 February 2019 - 10:53 AM

It seems funny* that people would worry about loss of parking when loss of parking is not applicable (as in the case of the remaining parcels at Uptown). I suppose this takes us full circle to the great mall parking debate. Half the reviewers say parking at Uptown is awful, and the other half say parking at Uptown is fantastic.

*but also believable

• Nparker likes this

#5127 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 06 February 2019 - 11:22 AM

It seems funny* that people would worry about loss of parking when loss of parking is not applicable (as in the case of the remaining parcels at Uptown). I suppose this takes us full circle to the great mall parking debate. Half the reviewers say parking at Uptown is awful, and the other half say parking at Uptown is fantastic.

*but also believable

It's not so much loss of parking as it is an increase in demand for parking. If the mall is too successful, parking will become more scarce! I want my favourite retailers to thrive but I also want there to be an empty parking space waiting for me always.

Re: Uptown, finding parking is generally easy, finding my way in or out of their labyrinthine parkade with solid concrete walls obstructing sight lines at corners is generally not easy.

#5128 LJ

LJ
  • 12,729 posts

Posted 06 February 2019 - 08:06 PM

Wouldn't they just gate off a portion of the parking lot for exclusive use of the tenants?

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#5129 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 07 February 2019 - 12:03 AM

Wouldn't they just gate off a portion of the parking lot for exclusive use of the tenants?

That's a rational and logical thought, which is not allowed

#5130 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 07 February 2019 - 03:12 AM

Wouldn't that just directly feed into what Jackerbie already described?

If they feel that it will be more difficult for them to drive across the city and park at the mall on Boxing Day, then they're vehemently opposed to anything new on that site. 

#5131 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 07 February 2019 - 01:21 PM

One of the challenges has been that malls have been owned REITs that did not permit residential because of the different returns that they have. In any event a sale to Anthem seems to turn that around. 

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#5132 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 07 February 2019 - 02:11 PM

It's crazy when you learn what is owned by Ontario pension plans. One used to own Hillside Mall, another owned Bay Centre another currently owns the chunnel England-to-France rail link.

#5133 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 07 February 2019 - 02:18 PM

It's crazy when you learn what is owned by Ontario pension plans. One used to own Hillside Mall, another owned Bay Centre another currently owns the chunnel England-to-France rail link.

That’s because the IRR generated by these illiquid assets generally fits into their overall investment strategy. Generally speaking, pension plans need to perform at a certain level in order to meet their actuarial targets for fully-funded status, so they have shifted to more illiquid asset classes (infrastructure, private equity, real estate) over the last generation or so, especially as returns from fixed income investments have dried up.

The sale of Tillicum fits with RioCan’s announced strategy of focusing their portfolio on the big six urban centres : Vancouver, Edmonton, Calgary, Toronto, Ottawa, and Montreal.

#5134 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,474 posts

Posted 09 February 2019 - 08:28 AM

One of the challenges has been that malls have been owned REITs that did not permit residential because of the different returns that they have. In any event a sale to Anthem seems to turn that around. 

They permit and pursue residential projects, but they are rental projects and can't be condos (that's why Uptown pursued rentals, as did Tillicum). If they pursue condos they need to bring in an outside partner and the transaction become's an asset sale to another entity.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5135 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 09 February 2019 - 08:44 AM

It is crazy what is owned by most pension plans. As KK mentioned, the plans cannot earn enough with traditional lower risk investment to meet their needs so they have had to diversify. Our federal pension plan is one of the larger owners of the now bankrupt PG&E as an example.

#5136 Mystic-Pizza

Mystic-Pizza
  • 623 posts

Posted 14 February 2019 - 11:21 AM

Edited by Mystic-Pizza, 14 February 2019 - 11:24 AM.

#5137 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 16 February 2019 - 05:06 PM

Heart and Sole has opened a second boutique across Fort Street from their main location.

The new location is called "Heart and Sole Too" and is adjacent to Sally Bun.

#5138 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 18 February 2019 - 12:27 PM

Rock Bay Footwear (Blanshard Street between Fort and Broughton) is closing.

#5139 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 18 February 2019 - 12:51 PM

They took over the Gaudio Shoes store that closed in 2015 after 50 years downtown.

BTW, Rock Bay Shoes qualified for our odd geographical names thread. The winner in my opinion was Blanshard Street Winery on Burnside near Douglas.

#5140 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,860 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 10:38 AM

Payless Shoes is going into creditor protection in the U.S. and Canada, and will likely close all its stores.

https://www.cbc.ca/n...tores-1.5024739

the place is not really known for quality but their selection is alright. for me always worth a look.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users