* * * * - 3 votes

Victoria retail thread: retailer news, comings and goings

• Please log in to reply
8289 replies to this topic

#5141 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 10:58 AM

Payless Shoes is going into creditor protection in the U.S. and Canada, and will likely close all its stores.

https://www.cbc.ca/n...tores-1.5024739

the place is not really known for quality but their selection is alright. for me always worth a look.

The Bay Centre and Hillside Mall have had bad luck with retailer bankruptcies in the last few years...For Hillside, the spaces recently vacated by Crabtree + Evelyn & Bombay Company are still vacant (to say nothing of the giant Sears space).  Payless' closure will simply add to the vacancy rate there (Bay Centre seems to be doing better on the occupancy front and I imagine they will find someone to take over their Payless space).

#5142 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,962 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 11:00 AM

i’d says it’s a pretty decent spot with lots of storefront that you are apt to look at as you have to make a bit of a turn. harder to miss any window display.

#5143 Jason-L

Jason-L
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 01:22 PM

The Bay Centre and Hillside Mall have had bad luck with retailer bankruptcies in the last few years...For Hillside, the spaces recently vacated by Crabtree + Evelyn & Bombay Company are still vacant (to say nothing of the giant Sears space).  Payless' closure will simply add to the vacancy rate there (Bay Centre seems to be doing better on the occupancy front and I imagine they will find someone to take over their Payless space).

This kind of sucks for me, since that's where I typically get my shoes. :(

#5144 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 05:57 PM

Tillicum also had/has one.

#5145 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 20 February 2019 - 11:20 AM

Has that Asian furniture importer on Quadra at Hillside closed recently? There's a DP in for tenant improvements to accommodate the Victoria Academy of Ballet. 2713 Quadra Street.

#5146 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,962 posts

Posted 20 February 2019 - 11:27 AM

Has that Asian furniture importer on Quadra at Hillside closed recently? 

"best of both worlds" moved to fantan alley.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 20 February 2019 - 11:27 AM.

#5147 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 21 February 2019 - 02:54 PM

Bye bye Home Outfitters. HBC to close all locations by the end of the year. via https://www.cbc.ca/n...tters-1.5028740

Island locations include Tillicum Centre and North Nanaimo

#5148 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 21 February 2019 - 02:58 PM

Bye bye Home Outfitters. HBC to close all locations by the end of the year. via https://www.cbc.ca/n...tters-1.5028740

Island locations include Tillicum Centre and North Nanaimo

So in the few days since anthem bought Tillicum they have already lost two tenants. Payless and home outfitter
  • Victoria Watcher likes this

#5149 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,724 posts

Posted 21 February 2019 - 03:05 PM

Bye bye Home Outfitters. HBC to close all locations by the end of the year...

To be honest, I am surprised it lasted this long.

#5150 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 21 February 2019 - 03:08 PM

So in the few days since anthem bought Tillicum they have already lost two tenants. Payless and home outfitter

If I were Anthem, I'd give Winners a deal to relocate to the Home Outfitters space (only 500 sq.ft. smaller, but it is visible from the street) and renovate the Winners into a proper food court. That's on the assumption that there are no plans to redevelop the property anytime soon.

Edited by Jackerbie, 21 February 2019 - 03:08 PM.

• Nparker likes this

#5151 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,724 posts

Posted 21 February 2019 - 03:11 PM

The problem with having a food court in the existing Winners space is the nearly zero foot traffic that this upper section of the mall receives. Take away Winners and there'd be virtually no reason to even have this section open. IMHO the entire mall needs a re-design. It's been pretty dreadful since it was "big boxed" back in the early 2000s.

#5152 Citified.ca

Citified.ca
  • Administrator
  • 2,290 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 23 February 2019 - 12:56 PM

It looks like the mystery may be over.

Victoria's third Walmart Supercentre to open in former Sears space at Hillside Centre

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5153 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 23 February 2019 - 01:03 PM

Makes sense. Proximity to UVic and Camosun will be good for students

#5154 UDeMan

UDeMan
  • 747 posts

Posted 23 February 2019 - 01:10 PM

This will bring new life to Hillside Mall.

I think Superstore would have been a better fit though.

• tjv and Brantastic like this

#5155 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,516 posts

Posted 23 February 2019 - 01:11 PM

Yes no doubt. A superstore out here would have been nice, but they still have that giant parcel on Tolmie.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5156 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 23 February 2019 - 02:00 PM

I guess that Thrifty Foods didn’t have an exclusivity clause in its lease with the mall...

#5157 grantpalin

grantpalin
  • 804 posts

Posted 23 February 2019 - 02:21 PM

I guess that Thrifty Foods didn’t have an exclusivity clause in its lease with the mall...

I seem to recall the Target store, while it lasted, had a grocery section upstairs.

#5158 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 23 February 2019 - 02:23 PM

I seem to recall the Target store, while it lasted, had a grocery section upstairs.

I imagine that Wal Mart will have a much larger grocery selection including meats and produce. Interestingly re: Target, Sobey’s manufactured Target’s private-label grocery items...

#5159 grantpalin

grantpalin
  • 804 posts

Posted 23 February 2019 - 02:23 PM

Walmart does seem like a good addition to Hillside Mall, as a large general department store. Still a bunch of empty storefronts within the mall to fill...

#5160 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 23 February 2019 - 02:27 PM

I think a thrifty's and a Walmart serve different clientele and can coexist nicely

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users