Victoria retail thread: retailer news, comings and goings

• Please log in to reply
8289 replies to this topic

#5261 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 26 March 2019 - 08:31 AM

Guy in my building is one of the managers of the Big O Tires on Quadra Street that the have bought the old Mings spot and will the expanding there.

Edited by sdwright.vic, 26 March 2019 - 08:31 AM.

Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#5262 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 26 March 2019 - 08:33 AM

Guy in my building is one of the managers of the Big O Tires on Quadra Street that the have bought the old Mings spot and will the expanding there.

Interesting. They must be selling a lot of tires for that to be the best use of all that space

#5263 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,479 posts

Posted 26 March 2019 - 08:38 AM

Wow, so expanding over, not just moving over?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5264 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,862 posts

Posted 26 March 2019 - 08:39 AM

Interesting. They must be selling a lot of tires for that to be the best use of all that space

they could probably use a showroom. tires and chinese food go together also if they are going to keep it as a restaurant.  do they also lease space up johnson for a mechanical shop?

#5265 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,685 posts

Posted 26 March 2019 - 08:44 AM

Guy in my building is one of the managers of the Big O Tires on Quadra Street that the have bought the old Mings spot and will be expanding there.

...They must be selling a lot of tires for that to be the best use of all that space

What a terrible use for such a high profile location. Hopefully Big O is contemplating an outside offer to purchase both lots for a more appropriate redevelopment.

#5266 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,479 posts

Posted 26 March 2019 - 08:46 AM

Mechanics shops are needed. This is great news for downtown residents and workers.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5267 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,685 posts

Posted 26 March 2019 - 08:53 AM

Mechanics shops are needed...

Agreed, but I don't see this as an ideal location. 

#5268 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,479 posts

Posted 26 March 2019 - 09:03 AM

It's about as ideal as it can get for downtown workers and businesses.

Know it all.

#5269 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 26 March 2019 - 09:06 AM

Wow, so expanding over, not just moving over?

yep expanding, moving out of Johnson Street space.

Edited by sdwright.vic, 26 March 2019 - 09:07 AM.

Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#5270 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,685 posts

Posted 26 March 2019 - 09:24 AM

It's about as ideal as it can get for downtown workers and businesses.

I just don't see that. If the Ming's building isn't demolished the site really cannot accommodate any more vehicle traffic than it already does. If they acquired this location on View Street, (including the property facing Vancouver Street) I think they'd have a better downtown location.

view street.JPG

In any case, would expanding onto a property that was recently a restaurant require any sort of rezoning?

#5271 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,479 posts

Posted 26 March 2019 - 09:53 AM

yep expanding, moving out of Johnson Street space.

Cool.

Know it all.

#5272 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,862 posts

Posted 26 March 2019 - 10:02 AM

In any case, would expanding onto a property that was recently a restaurant require any sort of rezoning?

maybe not if it's just retail/showroom and office.  

#5273 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 01 April 2019 - 08:34 AM

I just don't see that. If the Ming's building isn't demolished the site really cannot accommodate any more vehicle traffic than it already does. If they acquired this location on View Street, (including the property facing Vancouver Street) I think they'd have a better downtown location.

[...]

Nope, the Ming's property has the same "S-1 Limited Service District" zoning as Big-O Tires. There is a BP for tenant improvements to change the use from "Restaurant" to "Retail Showroom" listed as On Hold according to Vic Map. The BP is for the interior only, so a renovation as opposed to a new build.

#5274 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,685 posts

Posted 01 April 2019 - 08:56 AM

Nothing says vibrancy like a tire showroom.

#5275 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,862 posts

Posted 01 April 2019 - 09:08 AM

they will probably sell oil changes and tune-ups out of that showroom too. diversity.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 01 April 2019 - 09:08 AM.

#5276 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 01 April 2019 - 10:39 AM

A tire store is great so long as it's a nice tire store. Not every lot needs to have a high rise or even contain housing.

• Rob Randall likes this

#5277 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,862 posts

Posted 01 April 2019 - 10:46 AM

A tire store is great so long as it's a nice tire store. Not every lot needs to have a high rise or even contain housing.

M-DIS-Showroom-1.jpg

rhq4ovurxkyheilrsbwn.jpg

showroom_02.JPG?11421294287317347795

54RevShopStamfordKB02.jpg

pneu-belisle-showroom-transformation-2.j

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 01 April 2019 - 10:50 AM.

#5278 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,479 posts

Posted 02 April 2019 - 05:47 AM

Oh my, Kilshaw's has closed down. That's pretty shocking news, considering they invested a tremendous sum into the renovation of their new space on Langley Street after making way for the Black & White development on upper Fort Street.

Know it all.

#5279 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 02 April 2019 - 01:08 PM

Oh, no...that's terrible. That business has roots going back to the 1790s.

I think that they tried going more upscale when they moved to Langley street like a local version of Christies or Sothebys but couldn't make it happen. It's a buyers market here for sure with all the older folk coming here to retire. I mean you can buy a decent dining room set or hutch at auction for five or ten dollars. Not much profit there.

Edited by Rob Randall, 02 April 2019 - 01:09 PM.

• Nparker likes this

#5280 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,862 posts

Posted 02 April 2019 - 01:17 PM

somehow i thought antique roadshow pawn stars and storage locker wars and barrett jackson would raise the popularity of these businesses.

why doesn’t either auction house film their events for the internet? make a real show of it.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 02 April 2019 - 01:18 PM.

• RFS likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users