Victoria retail thread: retailer news, comings and goings

• Please log in to reply
8285 replies to this topic

#5541 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,778 posts

Posted 18 November 2019 - 10:24 AM

Would supervisors of any kind be part of the union?

i think the lrb would be the final arbitrator of that.  usually the employer tries to exclude as many people as possible.  the union fights the other way.  

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 18 November 2019 - 10:25 AM.

#5542 gstc84

gstc84
  • 521 posts

Posted 18 November 2019 - 10:38 AM

There's a gay bar planning to open in the former sushi space in the 700-block of Johnson Street.

Even better - a gay pub. Now that I'm of an age where I have no desire to go to Paparazzi more than once every three years, I'm excited for this. Hopefully it will fare better than The Ledge did in the Bedford Hotel.

More info from the Saanich News: https://www.saanichn...in-the-new-year

The Vicious Poodle is a terrible name though.

• Mike K. likes this

#5543 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,645 posts

Posted 18 November 2019 - 10:40 AM

...The Vicious Poodle is a terrible name though.

It would however be a great name for a contestant on Rupaul's Drag Race.

• Mike K. and gstc84 like this

#5544 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,778 posts

Posted 18 November 2019 - 11:02 AM

“Drag has historically been showcased in bars and it hasn’t been accessible to everyone who is underage or who don’t go to bars so I love the idea of making queer art accessible,” Legge said.

drag show are the overt sexualization of transgenders or crossdressers.   most people that dress in drag do so in a way that hypersuxalizes or at least exaggerates the sexual qualities of the female with clothing and makeup. 

why do we want kids involved in that?  we don't generally yearn for kids to go to straight male or female strip shows where the girls leave on pasties and thongs or the guys just have a speedo.

and we do not ask our young female children to do faux strip shows like we encourage male kids.  just a few years back didn't we think kids like jonbennet ramsay were involved in kind of unhealthy modelling shows just because of the makeup they wore?

in any event don't gays just hook up using grindr nowadays?  (asking for a friend)

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 18 November 2019 - 11:14 AM.

#5545 LJ

LJ
  • 12,719 posts

Posted 18 November 2019 - 07:53 PM

You can also make the argument they attract workers that might forgo a higher wage elsewhere because of benefits like MEC's employee discount as well as intangible concepts like working for a socially-conscious employer. Young workers are increasingly aware of this. I would rather work at MEC than Walmart for these reasons.

I thought you didn't like entities that paid less than their fair share of taxes.

https://vancouversun...-business-model

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#5546 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 19 November 2019 - 09:49 AM

I thought you didn't like entities that paid less than their fair share of taxes.

https://vancouversun...-business-model

...because we all know how fair and balanced letters to the editor can be. Here's an article that's often been cited in government policy documents at the provincial and federal levels around the reality of co-op taxation: http://www.coopzone....op-Taxation.doc

Or this report to parliament on the status of cooperatives, which also indicates that co-ops play by the same taxation rules as everyone else: https://canada.coop/...report (EN).pdf

• Danma likes this

#5547 Danma

Danma
  • 888 posts

Posted 19 November 2019 - 10:42 AM

Yeah, I can confirm as I work at a co-op and sit on its board of directors – there is no tax dodging going on. When we do pay out patronage, that is taxable income for the members who receive it, and when we pay it out, we do so as part of our mandate as a cooperative.

I'm honestly amazed that this is a "thing". The laws around co-ops isn't exactly secret, and there is very little in the way of taxation in respect to co-ops that isn't duplicated in some form for corporations.

#5548 SpongeG

SpongeG
  • 36 posts

Posted 19 November 2019 - 03:48 PM

drag show are the overt sexualization of transgenders or crossdressers.   most people that dress in drag do so in a way that hypersuxalizes or at least exaggerates the sexual qualities of the female with clothing and makeup. 

why do we want kids involved in that?  we don't generally yearn for kids to go to straight male or female strip shows where the girls leave on pasties and thongs or the guys just have a speedo.

and we do not ask our young female children to do faux strip shows like we encourage male kids.  just a few years back didn't we think kids like jonbennet ramsay were involved in kind of unhealthy modelling shows just because of the makeup they wore?

in any event don't gays just hook up using grindr nowadays?  (asking for a friend)

RuPaul Drag Race is not the Drag of gays past, its been disneyfied and family friendly and commericalized and gentrified. 

All a drag show is a drag queen lipsynching to Britney Spears or somethingand trying to be catty while remaining inclusive and unoffensive.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#5549 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,778 posts

Posted 19 November 2019 - 06:35 PM

but they often "exaggerate female gender signifiers" ie. they make it more sex fueled than just a person dressing differently.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 19 November 2019 - 06:36 PM.

#5550 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,778 posts

Posted 20 November 2019 - 06:20 AM

interesting article about MEC workers' unionization plans here in victoria. this is the first i'd heard of it but they have already signed people to cards and held a vote.

from vv to the tc in 2 days.  not bad.

https://www.timescol...nion-1.24012437

The United Food and Commercial Workers Union 1518 said staff at the downtown Victoria store voted “overwhelmingly” in favour, with 58 for the union and 24 against, with two ballots spoiled.

Meanwhile, workers at the Victoria Event Centre also voted this month to join UFCW 1518, marking what the union says is the first worker-led union certification in Victoria’s hospitality sector in decades. Lack of workplace standards, poor working conditions and sexual harassment were just some of the reasons VEC workers unionized, the union said on its website.

The Victoria Event Centre is operated by the Victoria-Multicultural Society, a non- profit organization that promotes diversity, arts and community through performance and celebration. The venue showcases experimental and emerging artists along with dance parties and festivals for more than 15 years.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 20 November 2019 - 06:21 AM.

#5551 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 20 November 2019 - 10:42 AM

Lowe's is closing over 30 'underpeforming' locations across Canada including some in BC and the list does NOT include Victoria so I guess that Tillicum location is doing fine after all.

#5552 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 22 November 2019 - 09:58 AM

The T-C is reporting that Annex gym is opening this weekend in the former A&B sound space on Yates, presumably next to the bike store there.  I guess Yates St is truly the premier street for downtown fitness facilities (and, per another thread, there is speculation that YMCA will be a tenant at the new Harris Green Village redevelopment)...

#5553 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 22 November 2019 - 10:13 AM

The T-C is reporting that Annex gym is opening this weekend in the former A&B sound space on Yates, presumably next to the bike store there.  I guess Yates St is truly the premier street for downtown fitness facilities (and, per another thread, there is speculation that YMCA will be a tenant at the new Harris Green Village redevelopment)...

Walked past it last night...was looking quite good.

#5554 weirdie

weirdie
  • 497 posts

Posted 23 November 2019 - 07:40 AM

Today's TC claims a new anchor retailer has been confirmed for the old Sears location at Hillside Mall.

#5555 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 23 November 2019 - 10:39 AM

Today's TC claims a new anchor retailer has been confirmed for the old Sears location at Hillside Mall.

Citified has previously reported that this retailer is Wal-Mart.

#5556 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,645 posts

Posted 23 November 2019 - 10:40 AM

Citified has previously reported that this retailer is Wal-Mart.

True, but has this been verified?

#5557 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 23 November 2019 - 12:05 PM

It’s Harry and Meghan unconfirmed.

#5558 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 23 November 2019 - 03:00 PM

Wait now unconfirmed reports it will be the new international VV headquarters Citified will take the top floor. Seems like an awfully small facility for their needs so not sure.

#5559 aastra

aastra
  • 20,731 posts

Posted 24 November 2019 - 12:02 PM

Plenty big enough for the executive washroom on the second level and Mike K.'s parking space on the ground level. Just need one new level on top for his office.

• todd likes this

#5560 UDeMan

UDeMan
  • 745 posts

Posted 24 November 2019 - 01:49 PM

If it's not a Walmart at Hillside mall, that would be the perfect place for a Superstore with combined TNT store.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users