* * * * - 3 votes

Victoria retail thread: retailer news, comings and goings

• Please log in to reply
8289 replies to this topic

#5741 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 21 January 2020 - 03:10 PM

We had dogs growing up. My parents had dogs before my brother and I were born. We had dogs when our daughter was growing up. But I would never ever consider taking one all over with me. When we went out, the dog stayed happily at home.

I like MEC and have bought several items there, as have my husband and daughter.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#5742 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,870 posts

Posted 21 January 2020 - 04:25 PM

Well located in the heart of downtown Sidney, this half duplex purpose built commercial/retail space comes with on-site parking, signage, overhead door, high ceilings and many interior upgrades. Great spot for day care, kids after school club, retail, muffler replacement, pub even!

420223_2.jpg

$939,900

https://www.realtor....dney-north-east

i can't see why it can't be all those things.  i'd drop my kid off at daycare then go to the pub while my muffler is being replaced.

or get those after school kids replacing the mufflers.  keep them out of trouble on the streets of sidney.  if you drop the car in the morning the muffler should be cooled down by 3pm.  plus kids they have small delicate hands they can get right in behind the muffler to loosen those hidden hanger bolts.  and they are small enough to slide right under the car to do the work so no lift required at the shop.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 21 January 2020 - 04:32 PM.

#5743 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 21 January 2020 - 04:27 PM

For those interested, Gap on Government Street will be closed in six days. Fixtures and hangers need to go!

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#5744 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 21 January 2020 - 04:38 PM

Not much left but some good deals.

I know mannekins are for sale for $75 because I spotted Victoria Watcher sneaking one home.

• Matt R. likes this

#5745 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,870 posts

Posted 21 January 2020 - 04:44 PM

already got one.

A man on a bicycle scooped Mango’s mannequin (and the $120 sweater it was wearing) from the sidewalk a couple of months ago. 

https://www.timescol...emma-1.24055702

• Rob Randall and SimonH like this

#5746 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 21 January 2020 - 06:28 PM

I take a walk downtown everyday and I'd say calling it a ghost town is pretty ridiculous. I don't have updated stats from 2019 but retail vacancy is way down from its peak in 2014. I'd say the one street that's looking pretty grim though is Quadra (though technically in Harris Green). With Ming's and Floyd's closed and fenced off, not to mention the vacancies at Quadra and View as well as next to Starbucks, it's looking really sad.

Was there again today and was again struck at how many boarded up windows and empty store space there is. I’m talking about government street and area. What should be our « jewel »... boarded up windows are not a good look... noticed some long term businesses closed down leaving empty retail spaces.... maybe the weather is making it look more dreary than it is but it sure looked down and out...
IMO.
  • theboss likes this

#5747 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 21 January 2020 - 06:52 PM

McKay’s/Andre’s electronics store on the Old Island Highway has a for lease sign on the property. Anyone know what’s going on?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5748 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 21 January 2020 - 07:01 PM

Was there again today and was again struck at how many boarded up windows and empty store space there is. I’m talking about government street and area. What should be our « jewel »... boarded up windows are not a good look... noticed some long term businesses closed down leaving empty retail spaces.... maybe the weather is making it look more dreary than it is but it sure looked down and out...
IMO.

I think the downtown vacancy rate is still lower than it was a decade ago, and there are some areas of the downtown core (inclusive of Harris Green) that are really thriving.  There are essentially no retail vacancies in the 1000 block of Fort Street, for example, and the block-long Yarrow Building- home to about ten storefronts between Broughton and Fort on Broad Street- is fully leased out and thriving.  We've had new international retailers open downtown in the last few years (Fjallraven, Giant Bikes, Winners etc) and existing local retailers expand (Russell Books, the DG Bremner outlet store).

Have there been some stores close?  Yes, but retail is highly competitive and some of the stores that have closed downtown in recent years are due to retailer bankruptcies (Payless Shoes) or big waves of downsizing (The Gap).  Some beloved local stores have also closed.  But- to be fair to downtown Victoria- vacancies have also plagued shopping destinations elsewhere (Robson Street in Vancouver and much of the newer portion of Hillside Mall).  In the United States, retail vacancies are likely higher in many places due to the well-documented struggles of shopping malls, department stores, and certain big box retailers there...

#5749 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,870 posts

Posted 21 January 2020 - 07:05 PM

McKay’s/Andre’s electronics store on the Old Island Highway has a for lease sign on the property. Anyone know what’s going on?

I heard a radio ad for it just recently. since Christmas.

#5750 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 21 January 2020 - 10:29 PM

That's odd. You didn't ask if the woman from Lebanon was an immigrant.

Do visitors often work in local retail?  Can they even (work permits)?

#5751 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 22 January 2020 - 07:12 AM

Yes. You get a work visa. We also have hundreds if not thousands of temporary foreign workers in our region.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5752 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 22 January 2020 - 08:29 AM

There are also people from other Commonwealth countries who come to Canada on working holiday visas and the intent of these visas is to allow young people to take part-time jobs while they are here on holiday.  Quite a few of the retail workers in Whistler, for example, are visitors who have this type of visa...

#5753 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 22 January 2020 - 01:16 PM

Gorge-ous Coffee is closing on the 28th on Gorge at Tillicum. They say it's due to the building's redevelopment.

Know it all.

#5754 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 22 January 2020 - 01:28 PM

Gorge-ous Coffee is closing on the 28th on Gorge at Tillicum. They say it's due to the building's redevelopment.

And it's a double-whammy for the area because the Starbucks across the street (in the shopping centre with Fairway Market) closed a few years ago.  I wonder if Gorge-ous considered leasing elsewhere nearby?

#5755 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 22 January 2020 - 01:49 PM

Just announced:  all Carlton Cards and Papyrus Stores will close in Canada within weeks.  Victoria has Carlton Cards stores at Hillside and CanWest malls; there is a Papyrus location on Beacon Avenue in Sidney.

Article:  https://www.ctvnews....weeks-1.4778542

#5756 VIResident

VIResident
  • 973 posts
  • LocationVancouver Island

Posted 22 January 2020 - 01:52 PM

Carlton Cards and Papyrus is closing all of its stores in North America, including 76 Canadian locations.  I believe there are locations in a few malls around Victoria and up island.  Anyone wishing to continue purchasing Carlton Cards can use the chain's online store locator to find other retailers that sell them.  "'The closures will not affect the publishing of Carlton Cards or their sale in other stores."  https://www.ctvnews....weeks-1.4778542

Edited by VIResident, 22 January 2020 - 01:56 PM.

#5757 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 22 January 2020 - 02:07 PM

...Victoria has Carlton Cards stores at Hillside...

I am pretty sure the card store at Hillside is Hallmark.

Edit: although perhaps they have a presence within Shoppers Drug Mart.

Edited by Nparker, 22 January 2020 - 02:09 PM.

#5758 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,017 posts

Posted 22 January 2020 - 02:11 PM

Yes. You get a work visa. We also have hundreds if not thousands of temporary foreign workers in our region.

There are also lots and lots here on Post Graduate Work Permits. I’ve got one guy right now, graduated from UBC and now has an open 3 year work visa. No limitations.

All three of my foreign workers are working through the immigration process and are here to stay.

Matt.

#5759 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 22 January 2020 - 02:47 PM

I am pretty sure the card store at Hillside is Hallmark.

Edit: although perhaps they have a presence within Shoppers Drug Mart.

Yes, there is a Carlton inside the Shoppers Drug Mart and a free-standing Hallmark inside the mall too...

#5760 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 22 January 2020 - 02:50 PM

Yes, there is a Carlton inside the Shoppers Drug Mart...

So would this be applicable:

"'The closures will not affect ... their sale in other stores."

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users