Victoria retail thread: retailer news, comings and goings

• Please log in to reply
8261 replies to this topic

#5841 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 26 February 2020 - 12:25 PM

Wowzers, I can’t think of a turnaround quite like that having ever occurred before. The Guild closed then opened, I think, but didn’t that involve different owners?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5842 gstc84

gstc84
  • 521 posts

Posted 27 February 2020 - 11:07 AM

I was in Planet Organic at Saanich Center last week. The fresh cases were empty as were many of the shelves. The cashier said that only the “higher ups” know what is happening. Do any of you VV higher ups know?

Went in yesterday after reading these posts, hoping to get a last bag of their amazing Cosmic Cookies. Man, it was sad in there. Shelves were 75% empty, and a lot of inventory that remained was at or past the best before dates. Staff seemed understandably depressed. Apparently the Mississauga store had the locks changed a couple weeks ago, and one of the Calgary locations closed a few days ago. I wouldn't be surprised if the Victoria store is shuttered within a week or two.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#5843 Dexter

Dexter
  • 606 posts

Posted 27 February 2020 - 09:11 PM

Wowzers, I can’t think of a turnaround quite like that having ever occurred before. The Guild closed then opened, I think, but didn’t that involve different owners?

I believe the Guild timeline was owner change, landlord change, landlord dispute, lockout, reopen, then close and eviction.

#5844 Belleprincess

Belleprincess
  • 655 posts

Posted 29 February 2020 - 11:14 AM

The Patch's "pop-up shop" on Yates appears to have...uhh...popped down again. It opened maybe a year and a half ago a couple doors down from its main store.

That is not surprising. I remember walking by and seeing a dress in the window with holes in it. And not decorative/ trendy holes either

#5845 Belleprincess

Belleprincess
  • 655 posts

Posted 29 February 2020 - 11:20 AM

Went in yesterday after reading these posts, hoping to get a last bag of their amazing Cosmic Cookies. Man, it was sad in there. Shelves were 75% empty, and a lot of inventory that remained was at or past the best before dates. Staff seemed understandably depressed. Apparently the Mississauga store had the locks changed a couple weeks ago, and one of the Calgary locations closed a few days ago. I wouldn't be surprised if the Victoria store is shuttered within a week or two.

I went in there a couple weeks back and wanted to grab some stuff from their deli; the woman who was spooning it up had the food smearing all over her hands and then into the container. Lost my appetite. Planet organic isn’t a terrible store, though I prefer lifestyles. It’s local, you can tell that someone is really manning the ship. They’re constantly bringing new product in. I also found a great little grocery store in vic west that’s local, it’s in an old convenience store - pretty cool actually

#5846 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 02 March 2020 - 06:50 PM

The retail space in the Adelphi building on Yates and Government has been leased. The developer tells me the retailer is a national company without a dozen stores.

The Adelphi was torn down years ago to make way for the post office building. Dont drink the koolaid.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#5847 qv

qv
  • 297 posts

Posted 02 March 2020 - 07:09 PM

I went in there a couple weeks back and wanted to grab some stuff from their deli; the woman who was spooning it up had the food smearing all over her hands and then into the container. Lost my appetite. Planet organic isn’t a terrible store, though I prefer lifestyles. It’s local, you can tell that someone is really manning the ship. They’re constantly bringing new product in. I also found a great little grocery store in vic west that’s local, it’s in an old convenience store - pretty cool actually

That store you mentioned in Vic West is very cool.

#5848 jasmineshinga

jasmineshinga
  • 332 posts

Posted 03 March 2020 - 08:14 AM

I don't suppose that cool little grocery store was The Market Garden? Odd little place tucked in an old building, baked goods in an old glass-faced curio cabinet?

Because I adore that little market.

Edited by jasmineshinga, 03 March 2020 - 08:16 AM.

• Mike K. likes this

~ Jasmine ~

#5849 Tyler19944

Tyler19944
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 March 2020 - 02:34 PM

The public space inside Mayfair Mall in front the west entrance has been boarded up, what could be going there? Also, it looks like theres work being done on the empty space right at the entrance. Anyone have any ideas?

By the way, Im new to this forum and this city, please be kind  :wave:

#5850 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 03 March 2020 - 08:24 PM

Planet Organic is kaput.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5851 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,861 posts

Posted 03 March 2020 - 11:56 PM

I don't suppose that cool little grocery store was The Market Garden? Odd little place tucked in an old building, baked goods in an old glass-faced curio cabinet?

Because I adore that little market.

That’s the one. Used to be a much grubbier, but serviceable space when I lived in that hood.

Matt.

#5852 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,309 posts

Posted 04 March 2020 - 03:45 AM

Planet Organic is kaput.

all locations have now closed.  sounds like some real bad management.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 04 March 2020 - 03:45 AM.

#5853 VIC.Local

VIC.Local
  • 18 posts

Posted 04 March 2020 - 10:30 PM

Planet Organic is kaput.

As someone who live close by i'm so curious what might go in there... That space is pretty big. 

#5854 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,309 posts

Posted 05 March 2020 - 04:23 AM

As someone who live close by i'm so curious what might go in there... That space is pretty big. 

ikea probably.

• Mike K. and Rob Randall like this

#5855 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 05 March 2020 - 05:50 AM

Could the parking lot handle a Costco?

In all seriousness though, it might be a tough slog to lease that space out. Not a lot of contenders for larger retail units in complexes like this.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

Know it all.

#5856 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 05 March 2020 - 07:15 AM

^It may have done better in another strip mall that didn't have a large supermarket next door with its own organic vegetables, bulk food and revamped supplements aisle. 

But then again nothing may have saved it. Whether you're talking about a sports franchise or retail store it's yet another example of a local operation dragged down by the misfortunes of the parent company back east.

#5857 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 05 March 2020 - 10:43 AM

Was there more than one Planet Organic in the Victoria area? I am only familiar with the one that was at Quadra and McKenzie.

#5858 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,309 posts

Posted 05 March 2020 - 10:48 AM

But then again nothing may have saved it. Whether you're talking about a sports franchise or retail store it's yet another example of a local operation dragged down by the misfortunes of the parent company back east.

9 of their 11 stores were in alberta.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 05 March 2020 - 10:48 AM.

#5859 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,309 posts

Posted 05 March 2020 - 10:49 AM

Was there more than one Planet Organic in the Victoria area? I am only familiar with the one that was at Quadra and McKenzie.

no.  9 in edmonton and calgary and one in ontario.

#5860 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 05 March 2020 - 10:57 AM

9 of their 11 stores were in alberta.

Anything past Chilliwack is "back east".

• Nparker and Victoria Watcher like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users

Facebook (2), Bing (1)