Victoria retail thread: retailer news, comings and goings

• Please log in to reply
8289 replies to this topic

#5861 VIC.Local

VIC.Local
  • 18 posts

Posted 06 March 2020 - 10:33 PM

Could the parking lot handle a Costco?

In all seriousness though, it might be a tough slog to lease that space out. Not a lot of contenders for larger retail units in complexes like this.

What about a restaurant? 

#5862 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 06 March 2020 - 10:47 PM

I think there's still that big restaurant space vacant there. Used to be Asian food--sushi and before that Chinese seafood.

That area really could use a good restaurant. There's the Keg and a bunch of shady places I wouldn't dare try. If you see a strip mall restaurant and are thinking of trying it, ask the employees of neighbouring businesses on either side if they ever eat there.

• Mike K. likes this

#5863 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,867 posts

Posted 07 March 2020 - 04:02 AM

on planet organic that might have been hard to scale with the geography of their locations.

#5864 VIC.Local

VIC.Local
  • 18 posts

Posted 09 March 2020 - 12:46 PM

I think there's still that big restaurant space vacant there. Used to be Asian food--sushi and before that Chinese seafood.

That area really could use a good restaurant. There's the Keg and a bunch of shady places I wouldn't dare try. If you see a strip mall restaurant and are thinking of trying it, ask the employees of neighbouring businesses on either side if they ever eat there.

Pretty sure that the liquor store took over most of that space, i remember them doing reno's in the summer. 

#5865 johnk2

johnk2
  • 209 posts

Posted 10 March 2020 - 10:14 AM

Any word on the old Sears space at Hillside? Sorry if this has already been answered, I'm lazy.

#5866 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 10 March 2020 - 10:22 AM

Citified wrote a story saying WalMart was the tenant, which was later picked up by local media.

I called Mike out and berated him for using unnamed sources until I learned the source was my own significant other. She overheard two Uptown clerks casually taking about how Walmart had taken over the space and she called Mike directly. I had totally forgotten that episode.

#5867 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 10 March 2020 - 10:23 AM

Nah, it was a group of contractors that sealed the deal, actually. Your significant other was one of the individuals who had heard something was up, for sure. Another source was management of an existing Walmart. Pretty solid, but nobody wanted to go on record.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5868 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 10 March 2020 - 10:28 AM

Isn't White Spot in this shopping centre?

• Rob Randall likes this

#5869 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,690 posts

Posted 10 March 2020 - 10:29 AM

...nobody wanted to go on record

So there still has been no official announcement of Walmart coming to Hillside - correct?

#5870 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 10 March 2020 - 10:31 AM

I dunno, it's old news now.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5871 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 10 March 2020 - 10:33 AM

And another couple of sources were from Thrifty's and Canadian Tire (the latter thanks to one of our VV members here) who were dealing with lease negotiations as they pertained to Walmart's entry into the complex. Yet another source came from a product supplier.

Know it all.

#5872 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 10 March 2020 - 10:47 AM

Isn't White Spot in this shopping centre?

It's next door in the Saanich Centre II complex behind Saanich Centre

#5873 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 10 March 2020 - 10:49 AM

^Alongside the vacant space that was supposed to be Saanich Centre III Electric Boogaloo.

• Mike K. likes this

#5874 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 10 March 2020 - 12:11 PM

The retail space in the Adelphi building on Yates and Government has been leased. The developer tells me the retailer is a national company without a dozen stores.

No indication of what's afoot, but a BP was issued yesterday for interior renovations and addition of a roof deck

• Mike K. likes this

#5875 gstc84

gstc84
  • 521 posts

Posted 10 March 2020 - 12:27 PM

Merchant Quarters General Store is set to open on Thursday, March 12, in the Belmont Building (corner of Government and Humboldt). Just took a peek in the windows as I walked by and it looks VERY cramped in there - will be curious to see what it's like when it opens. Hopefully enough space to shop comfortably as that's such a prime corner spot.

• Mike K. likes this

#5876 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 10 March 2020 - 05:12 PM

Perhaps the future purchaser of the Western Speedway will entice IKEA as a tenant?

Edited by Kapten Kapsell, 10 March 2020 - 05:12 PM.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#5877 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,867 posts

Posted 21 March 2020 - 02:57 AM

"Suasion" upscale women's clothing business in downtown Victoria in Market Square. This boutique offers exclusive brand names, variety of selections including high-end women's clothing, jewelry, accessories, shoes, gift cards and more. Fashion is alive and well here with loyal clientele who recognize its reputation for quality merchandise and excellent customer service. The selling price includes $75,000 worth of inventory at cost. 

$68k.

"Suasion" upscale women's clothing business in downtown Victoria in Market Square. This boutique offers exclusive brand names, variety of selections including high-end women's clothing, jewelry, accessories, shoes, gift cards and more. Fashion is alive and well here with loyal clientele who recognize its reputation for quality merchandise and excellent customer service. The selling price includes $75,000 worth of inventory at cost. 

422154_1.jpg

#5878 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,867 posts

Posted 21 March 2020 - 07:57 AM

A long-time retail consultant fears for the worst for downtown retailers in Sidney as COVID-19 spreads and predicts a radically different landscape.

“When this is over, we will have to pick up the pieces and plan our downtown, because it will be like a hockey player’s mouth, with all sorts of [missing] teeth,” said Richard Talbot, president and chief executive officer of Sidney-based Talbot Consultants International Inc. Talbot can look back on four decades of consulting retailers, including every major Canadian chain.

With public health officials stressing the importance of social distancing to help stop the spread of COVID-19, restaurants will see significant drops in business, he said.

He made these comments as COVID-19 continued to shut down businesses, as owners closed their doors in the face of dropping demand. An informal survey of shops along Beacon Avenue found shops including Buddies Toys, 3rd Street Cafe, Bistro Suisse and Beacon Barber closed. Other businesses reduced in-person service, asked customers to contact them by email or phone, or changed delivery methods.

Talbot said retailers were already struggling before COVID-19, which will only worsen their pain, with reverberations for downtown Sidney.

https://www.vicnews....se-of-covid-19/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 21 March 2020 - 07:58 AM.

#5879 gstc84

gstc84
  • 521 posts

Posted 21 March 2020 - 08:37 AM

The English Sweet Shop in the Conference Centre building on Douglas is closing permanently. Their signage says they’ve been in business since 1910.
  • Victoria Watcher likes this

#5880 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,867 posts

Posted 21 March 2020 - 08:49 AM

The English Sweet Shop in the Conference Centre building on Douglas is closing permanently. Their signage says they’ve been in business since 1910.

well that would be quite something.  now it does not nearly have the reputation as it did in the 70's or 80's when it was on yates but it's still something.   

since 2010 they have been working on a new website:

http://www.englishsweets.com/

story on their move in 2011:

https://www.vicnews....op-on-the-move/

Wendy Beach has only owned the English Sweet Shop for six of its 101-year history, but she wells up with tears at the loss of its long-time location at 738 Yates St.

“People come in and they’re bringing their great grandchildren, and they’re like, ‘It’s just the same as I remember it when I was a kid when my grandfather brought me here,” recalls Beach.

Today, the store is empty in preparation of the property’s redevelopment by Concert Properties.

“It was long and narrow … the floor boards were creaky and there was a beautiful mosaic tile,” she says. “I hope to one day recreate it.”

A delayed phone hookup and other snags have delayed the grand opening of the new shop at 736 Douglas St.

something here does not quite jive with dates but it's still neat:

Helen Catherine Denny (Watson) passed away peacefully on March 16, 2009. Helen was born in Edmonton to James and Isabel Watson on February 12, 1916. In her teens, she moved to Victoria, where her father opened “The English Sweet Shop” on Yates Street.

https://www.mccallga...catherine-denny

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 21 March 2020 - 08:56 AM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users