* * * * - 3 votes

Victoria retail thread: retailer news, comings and goings

• Please log in to reply
8258 replies to this topic

#6221 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 17 September 2020 - 10:00 AM

^^The story with any franchise--sports team, retail, whatever--is "it collapsed even though the Victoria branch was a success".

• spanky123 likes this

#6222 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,971 posts

Posted 17 September 2020 - 10:13 AM

^^The story with any franchise--sports team, retail, whatever--is "it collapsed even though the Victoria branch was a success".

The only time something in Victoria is not a huge success is when they need money. After they get the money though it is again a huge success.

#6223 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,281 posts

Posted 17 September 2020 - 10:38 AM

Camping is booming because of Covid. I expect it'll drop off again sharply 2022 or so.

yes that's my feeling.  the bikes and camping equipment was a pleasant bump but only temporary.

today i was thinking about restaurant supply and servicing.  equipment and repairs and food and beverage wholesale.  they will all shed jobs soon.  lots of good used equipment going up for sale soon.

• Matt R. likes this

#6224 kxl

kxl
  • 206 posts

Posted 17 September 2020 - 10:57 AM

I have a feeling MEC will be TOAST within 18 months...

this kind of sell out never ends well

sad, very popular store

TFord

Just in time for their 50th anniversary!

#6225 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 17 September 2020 - 11:11 AM

...today i was thinking about restaurant supply and servicing.  equipment and repairs and food and beverage wholesale.  they will all shed jobs soon.  lots of good used equipment going up for sale soon...

We can always count on VW to find the joy in other people's misery.

• Redd42 likes this

#6226 Danma

Danma
  • 888 posts

Posted 17 September 2020 - 03:14 PM

I'm not convinced MEC will shut down our store; frankly, there's some huge, absolutely massive storefronts in Alberta and Ontario that have done extremely poorly – part of the reason MEC is in this mess in the first place. I would expect those would be the first stores cut – especially in markets where there are multiple locations. Does Edmonton need 2 MECs? It did fine with their store near downtown for decades.

#6227 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 17 September 2020 - 03:21 PM

I'm not convinced MEC will shut down our store; frankly, there's some huge, absolutely massive storefronts in Alberta and Ontario that have done extremely poorly – part of the reason MEC is in this mess in the first place. I would expect those would be the first stores cut – especially in markets where there are multiple locations. Does Edmonton need 2 MECs? It did fine with their store near downtown for decades.

Calgary is even worse: a second store recently opened a third was supposed to open this year. 

#6228 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,281 posts

Posted 17 September 2020 - 04:50 PM

today i was thinking about restaurant supply and servicing.  equipment and repairs and food and beverage wholesale.  they will all shed jobs soon.  lots of good used equipment going up for sale soon.

paid advertorial in the tc today:

Home cooking with restaurant-quality ingredients just got a whole lot more convenient and affordable.

Sysco@HOME, a new online grocery service launched by Canada’s leading food-service distributor, now lets British Columbians order premium products for contactless delivery or pickup at one of three locations in the Victoria, Kelowna and Vancouver areas.

Sysco is Canada’s premier distributor of food products to restaurants, hospitals, schools, hotels and other industries. The company’s trucks and drivers can be spotted daily at B.C.’s most popular restaurants, bars, cafes and venues.

https://www.timescol...ckup-1.24204598

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 17 September 2020 - 04:51 PM.

• Matt R. and GaryRanson like this

#6229 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 24 September 2020 - 06:31 PM

The Coast Capital Savings branch in James Bay will be briefly reopening soon, but will be permanently closing later this year.  All members (including myself) who have this branch as their 'home' branch will be transferred to the downtown location @ Bay Centre.

#6230 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 24 September 2020 - 07:01 PM

...All members (including myself) who have this branch as their 'home' branch will be transferred to the downtown location @ Bay Centre.

Except for safety deposit boxes, which will be transferred to the Tillicum branch.  :angry:

#6231 TFord

TFord
  • Suspended User
  • 291 posts

Posted 26 September 2020 - 09:28 PM

Heard some chat last night about a long established restaurant having huge cash flow & banking issues.. This will shock and surprise many! When the dominos start to fall, it is going to be frightening.

I am beginning to dread the thought of Winter...

TFord

#6232 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 26 September 2020 - 09:31 PM

Wait.. Dominoes is going under? Well, not a big deal, I prefer Romeo's, and then the wood fire type places.
  • vortoozo and JohnsonStBridge like this

#6233 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 26 September 2020 - 10:40 PM

Winter is coming.

• Matt R. likes this

#6234 TFord

TFord
  • Suspended User
  • 291 posts

Posted 27 September 2020 - 08:35 AM

Wait.. Dominoes is going under? Well, not a big deal, I prefer Romeo's, and then the wood fire type places.

Sorry Zoomer, I see what happened there. I wasn't referring to Dominos restaurant. 

TFord 

• zoomer likes this

#6235 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts

Posted 27 September 2020 - 08:41 AM

Thanks TFord for the clarification. Well, it better not be Romeo’s then! Although I never eat in there, just take out. And after a second read of your comment it doesn’t appear to be a chain. Well, I’m doing my best to keep places afloat by doing more take out and leaving big tips, especially for the local restaurants. Quite a few friends are ordering pre-made meals (like frozen lasagnas) from different restaurants in town, maybe I’ll start doing that. We need to get them through the Winter for sure.
  • Matt R. likes this

#6236 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,281 posts

Posted 27 September 2020 - 08:43 AM

christmas usually offers up some revenue for restaurants and bars.  formal and informal gatherings.  but i suppose most of that will be gone this year.

is anyone doing a staff christmas party?

#6237 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,281 posts

Posted 27 September 2020 - 08:43 AM

i hope it's not moxie's.  has anyone been there lately, is it busy?

#6238 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts

Posted 27 September 2020 - 08:49 AM

No Christmas staff party - I only ever see my colleagues over Zoom or MS Teams. A few have even moved up island because we can work virtually and there is no longer the requirement to be in the city. I walk by Moxie’s all the time, it feels about 70% of what it used to be, but with reduced capacity. They have really picked up their take out game though - not unusual to see 3 or 4 Skip the Dishes delivery people waiting by the back door to pick up orders. Still, I wouldn’t be surprised if they were hanging on. :(
  • Matt R. likes this

#6239 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 27 September 2020 - 08:49 AM

Heard some chat last night about a long established restaurant having huge cash flow & banking issues.. This will shock and surprise many! When the dominos start to fall, it is going to be frightening.

I am beginning to dread the thought of Winter...

TFord

There are several in this predicament and I don't know if they'll be able to tap into investor capital, ask for more rent reduction commitments from landlords, and operate with enough ours in the day to make it all work. And the big operational issue for these guys is staffing, which has forced normally open places to close hours earlier than before, and that's with limited seating.

It's brutal out there even without the challenges brought on by Lisa Helps and the tent cities.

• Matt R. likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#6240 VIResident

VIResident
  • 973 posts
  • LocationVancouver Island

Posted 27 September 2020 - 09:12 AM

christmas usually offers up some revenue for restaurants and bars.  formal and informal gatherings.  but i suppose most of that will be gone this year.

is anyone doing a staff christmas party?

Yes.  Staff and each staff's close family.

Party includes office decorations, craft cocktails (2 each) for adults and mocktails for children, appetizers, 3 course dinner and dessert. 

Forgot to add:  Entertainment is provided by a well known Canadian band and Santa arrives at the door bearing gifts. 

That is our staff party. 

(*Note - Decorations are done by a professional decorator who arrives at each staff member's home at the time of their choosing however well before the 'party' date - all protocols followed.  The evening of the party, ZOOM is flipped on in each team member's home while various caterers arrive with craft drinks and meals and finally Santa to each team member's door.  Band plays in their own location and on Zoom with everyone as well.  Employee's can opt-out of a piece of the staff party or all.

This is paid 100% by employer, using local suppliers only and the environment is top-of-mind in everything utilized) 

Edited by VIResident, 27 September 2020 - 09:17 AM.

• zoomer likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users