* * * * - 3 votes

Victoria retail thread: retailer news, comings and goings

• Please log in to reply
8289 replies to this topic

#6381 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,724 posts

Posted 14 November 2020 - 08:38 AM

My wife and I are simply not shopping downtown at all these days. We used to shop regularly but the downtown core is turning into an armpit (tried to cleanup the expression). 

I live adjacent to downtown and I don't shop there at all anymore.

• Love the rock, A Girl is No one and Victoria Watcher like this

#6382 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 14 November 2020 - 11:15 AM

I do a large percentage of my shopping  in the downtown and Harris Green areas.  There are a number of great retailers I like to patronize, such as DG Bremner, Munro Books, London Drugs, and the Market on Yates...

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#6383 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,724 posts

Posted 14 November 2020 - 11:31 AM

...There are a number of great retailers I like to patronize, such as DG Bremner, Munro Books, London Drugs, and the Market on Yates...

I used to patronize d/t businesses such as LD and MoY regularly, but these are the exception rather than the rule these days.

#6384 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,600 posts

Posted 14 November 2020 - 11:54 AM

My wife and I are simply not shopping downtown at all these days. We used to shop regularly but the downtown core is turning into an armpit (tried to cleanup the expression). 

I make a point each year to get my Christmas shopping done by or before the end of November, this year being no exception.

Fortunately Mrs ASE is a practical Saskatchewan girl for whom jewelry is not remotely on her priority list, luckily for my bank account. This year is a minor exception and as indication of how long its been since I've ventured into that realm I thought Birk's was still in Hillside Mall. Turns out they vamoosed from there years ago. Hm. Who knew?? Not me....

The sole remaining outlet as it happens is d/t opposite the Bay Center in the 1200-block Government. So yesterday down there I dutifully went, parked with no issue and walked the block to the store. In and out in 15 minutes, no fuss whatsoever, other than my wallet being considerably lighter. I think the trick these days re: d/t is to go at certain times (this was about 11:30am yesterday) and naturally some areas do need to be avoided. That Broad/View/Government section BTW was perfectly fine - other than the fact it certainly doesn't feel like six weeks to Christmas. No energy down there whatsoever for obvious reasons.

However when I meandered further up Fort Street from Douglas I certainly encountered more than just the usual panhandling folk who've been stationed there for a few years now. Overwhelmingly that group is perfectly fine, I have never had issues with them. There is/was however definitely an element of street people on another level altogether who I frankly wouldn't turn my back on.

With regard to downtown generally I think with a little pre-planning and appropriate "time and place" shopping most folks would be fine. Regardless no question the area is sagging, bereft of energy or vibe. Interestingly the Birks people indicated they were doing very well overall given the pandemic and our well publicized street issues. Robinson's Sporting Goods on Broad is another place doing great business (their fly fishing section alone probably makes a healthy profit off me and my fishing buddies). Beyond them though, not so much as far as I could tell, particularly on Government Street which was a complete Dead Zone.

#6385 UDeMan

UDeMan
  • 747 posts

Posted 14 November 2020 - 11:55 AM

London Drugs and Market on Yates still has free parking.  I would say that is a bonus which draws lots of people there.

• Redd42 likes this

#6386 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,724 posts

Posted 14 November 2020 - 12:05 PM

....Government Street...was a complete Dead Zone.

It just needs more picnic tables. I imagine the existing ones are being well used this time of year.

#6387 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,967 posts

Posted 14 November 2020 - 12:21 PM

I make a point each year to get my Christmas shopping done by or before the end of November, this year being no exception.

Fortunately Mrs ASE is a practical Saskatchewan girl for whom jewelry is not remotely on her priority list, luckily for my bank account. This year is a minor exception and as indication of how long its been since I've ventured into that realm I thought Birk's was still in Hillside Mall. Turns out they vamoosed from there years ago. Hm. Who knew?? Not me....

The sole remaining outlet as it happens is d/t opposite the Bay Center in the 1200-block Government. So yesterday down there I dutifully went, parked with no issue and walked the block to the store. In and out in 15 minutes, no fuss whatsoever, other than my wallet being considerably lighter. I think the trick these days re: d/t is to go at certain times (this was about 11:30am yesterday) and naturally some areas do need to be avoided. That Broad/View/Government section BTW was perfectly fine - other than the fact it certainly doesn't feel like six weeks to Christmas. No energy down there whatsoever for obvious reasons.

However when I meandered further up Fort Street from Douglas I certainly encountered more than just the usual panhandling folk who've been stationed there for a few years now. Overwhelmingly that group is perfectly fine, I have never had issues with them. There is/was however definitely an element of street people on another level altogether who I frankly wouldn't turn my back on.

With regard to downtown generally I think with a little pre-planning and appropriate "time and place" shopping most folks would be fine. Regardless no question the area is sagging, bereft of energy or vibe. Interestingly the Birks people indicated they were doing very well overall given the pandemic and our well publicized street issues. Robinson's Sporting Goods on Broad is another place doing great business (their fly fishing section alone probably makes a healthy profit off me and my fishing buddies). Beyond them though, not so much as far as I could tell, particularly on Government Street which was a complete Dead Zone.

I agree. I bought a couple watches downtown last week. I was in and out in 10 minutes. even with a trip to the bank to get the money in between.

a bank account is considerably lighter for sure.

just kidding everyone.

is actually interesting in that news item last week the press went out of their way in the headline to say the jeweller was “out $100,000” but then in the story body they admitted the bank was the one that was probably out 100k. since they issued a legitimate bank draft.

fake news.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 14 November 2020 - 12:30 PM.

• Rob Randall and Matt R. like this

#6388 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,967 posts

Posted 14 November 2020 - 01:13 PM

https://www.timescol...-000-1.24237229

Victoria jewelry store targeted in fraud out nearly $100,000

A Victoria jewelry store is out nearly $100,000 after being hit with a sophisticated fraud scheme.

In the end, the bank may ultimately be the victim of this crime.

“If a business accepts a legitimate bank draft or legitimate currency, the bank is usually the one that suffers the loss,” Keleher said.

#6389 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 15 November 2020 - 09:52 AM

“If a business accepts a legitimate bank draft or legitimate currency, the bank is usually the one that suffers the loss,” Keleher said.

I don't know about that. If the bank revokes the bank draft prior to deposit by the merchant then I don't think there is a claim. Most banks these days don't accept bank drafts without a hold period as fraud is so rampant.

• Redd42 likes this

#6390 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,967 posts

Posted 15 November 2020 - 10:05 AM

I think in this case it cleared fine. it was well after that the account holder noticed the money gone from his or her account.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 15 November 2020 - 10:06 AM.

#6391 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,967 posts

Posted 18 November 2020 - 12:42 PM

A unique opportunity to acquire this historically significant office building on Victoria's downtown fringe with ample on-site parking. The location benefits from excellent exposure on the corner of Douglas and Bay Streets with 40,000 vehicles per day. The property is improved with a two-storey building over a partial basement that was constructed in 1910 for the Canadian Bank of Commerce. This is a well-maintained building with heritage features that would be an excellent opportunity as an investment or for owner occupancy. 

https://www.realtor....ctoria-downtown

860492_2.jpg

#6392 Brantastic

Brantastic
  • 924 posts

Posted 18 November 2020 - 12:45 PM

Francis Jeweller's will be moving into The Yates on Yates presentation centre at The Sovereign on Broughton Street. It's just moving from across the street.

Yet another in the big downtown shuffle, along with VanCity, The Papery, Ox King Noodles, Sorensen Books, Cook Street Barbershop, Sutra, Russell Books, Ithaka Greek, Shopper's Drug Mart, etc. 

• Mike K. likes this

#6393 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,521 posts

Posted 18 November 2020 - 12:48 PM

Is that building not a kit?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#6394 Brantastic

Brantastic
  • 924 posts

Posted 18 November 2020 - 12:59 PM

A kit?

#6395 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,521 posts

Posted 18 November 2020 - 01:02 PM

Yeah, as in it was built out of a kit that was delivered to the site. Is that not the case here?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#6396 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 18 November 2020 - 01:16 PM

Prefabricated in Vancouver by BC Mills Timber & Trading Co, they were shipped in two boxcars in sections complete with window frames, doors and decorative detailing, ready for assembly. The second storey provided living quarters for the manager or a male clerk and family, and there was a “shotgun” hole in the floor to watch the safe on the banking floor below.

https://victoriaheri...ouglas2420.html

• Nparker likes this

#6397 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,521 posts

Posted 18 November 2020 - 01:36 PM

Awesome! Thank you.

Know it all.

#6398 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 18 November 2020 - 02:01 PM

According to this article from Penticton, one of the Victoria Hudson's Bay stores is included in the list of stores where HBC isn't paying rent because they can't come to an agreement with certain landlords on revised terms during the pandemic. HBC appears to have a lease clause in their tenancy agreements that their landlords provide "first class malls" and are arguing that due to recent store closures / fewer people at malls they should receive rent concessions since those malls are no longer "first class". I wasn't able to find any lawsuits on the court site regarding either of the HBC stores in Victoria, so I'm not sure which one it is.

So far, in the case that's proceeded the farthest, HBC has been successful in blocking eviction and has been ordered to pay 50% rent as an interim measure. The Penticton article has detailed sales results from the Penticton HBC store showing how much sales have dropped year over year in that store.

Seems to me that both sides are playing hardball. HBC is relying on their lease clause re "first class malls" to try and pay less rent while sales are down. I don't see the upside for the malls that are trying to evict the stores. Likely many of them won't be replaced - certainly not right away - which could cause significant long term down sides for the malls. Without a major anchor, fewer customers will head to the malls and they'll start to lose smaller stores. HBC knows it and is calling their bluff on eviction. Take the Penticton store. There's already a grocery store in the mall & another one across the road. Walmart is a couple minutes drive away, and Canadian Tire, Home Hardware & Rona are within 5km. So who would want the space if they evict HBC?

• Mike K. likes this

#6399 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 18 November 2020 - 02:09 PM

"First Class" is a relative term. If they define "First Class" strictly in terms of traffic count it won't fly in court because every mall is suffering similarly. They can still be first in their league.

Say I have a classic car entered in the auto show, a best in class award winner. Then someone takes a hammer and puts a dent in it. It's no longer best in class. But if that guy put a dent in every car it's still first in class.

• Mike K. likes this

#6400 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 18 November 2020 - 04:17 PM

Seems to me that both sides are playing hardball. HBC is relying on their lease clause re "first class malls" to try and pay less rent while sales are down. I don't see the upside for the malls that are trying to evict the stores. Likely many of them won't be replaced - certainly not right away - which could cause significant long term down sides for the malls. Without a major anchor, fewer customers will head to the malls and they'll start to lose smaller stores. HBC knows it and is calling their bluff on eviction. Take the Penticton store. There's already a grocery store in the mall & another one across the road. Walmart is a couple minutes drive away, and Canadian Tire, Home Hardware & Rona are within 5km. So who would want the space if they evict HBC?

Lots of companies in Victoria doing the same thing right now with their landlords. 

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users