Victoria retail thread: retailer news, comings and goings

• Please log in to reply
8289 replies to this topic

#6441 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 25 November 2020 - 04:12 PM

Lilydale chicken is lilydale chicken.  Perhaps there is a different reason they are more tender if you buy them from Oxford...

• Matt R. likes this

#6442 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,550 posts

Posted 25 November 2020 - 04:17 PM

Lilydale supplies KFC, btw. Or at least they always have in our region.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#6443 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 25 November 2020 - 04:24 PM

Any truth to the rumour that the downtown HBC will be closing after Christmas?

#6444 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,014 posts

Posted 25 November 2020 - 04:32 PM

what's your source?

it might be likely they are saying if they can't get a rent rebate (they are asking for in court now) they will close.

might be just a negotiating tactic though.

a lot of us would like to see an ikea go in there.

or a walmart

or a bowling alley would be great.  

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 25 November 2020 - 04:33 PM.

#6445 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,738 posts

Posted 25 November 2020 - 04:38 PM

Probably a Safeway.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#6446 johnk2

johnk2
  • 209 posts

Posted 25 November 2020 - 04:41 PM

Lilydale supplies KFC, btw. Or at least they always have in our region.

One reason I won't touch Lilydale. KFC is going to source the cheapest chicken they can get. Ergo, not the best you you can buy. I prefer Island Farmhouse.

• Matt R. likes this

#6447 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 25 November 2020 - 06:37 PM

Maybe that’s a reason to actually buy Lilydale. The crappier cuts go to kfc. The choicest to restaurants and middle stuff to grocery stores...

#6448 m3m

m3m
  • 1,301 posts

Posted 25 November 2020 - 07:29 PM

The Bay has been a miserable shopping experience in the last couple years. Feels like a graveyard in there. God forbid if you need the assistance of staff - if you’re lucky enough to find a sales associate, all they care about is getting you to sign up for an HBC credit card. Stock selection has been brutal and inconsistent. The carpets are terribly stained and worn. The lights are half burned out. Unfolded clothing strewn about. Some locations are better than others but the two we have in Victoria are awful. Nordstrom offers a far better experience.

#6449 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,014 posts

Posted 25 November 2020 - 07:38 PM

there is one older saleswoman in there that is RELENTLESS about you signing up for the card. she pretty much calls you a fool if you decline her persistent offers.
  • Nparker and Matt R. like this

#6450 m3m

m3m
  • 1,301 posts

Posted 25 November 2020 - 07:54 PM

I’ve never had a more uncomfortable retail interaction than with that woman. I must have said no about 5 times. I was buying a $5 luggage tag.
  • Matt R. likes this

#6451 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,738 posts

Posted 25 November 2020 - 07:56 PM

So I am not the only to get the hard sell from that woman.

• Matt R. likes this

#6452 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,550 posts

Posted 25 November 2020 - 08:59 PM

Maybe that’s a reason to actually buy Lilydale. The crappier cuts go to kfc. The choicest to restaurants and middle stuff to grocery stores...

The only difference between KFC’s chicken and the cuts at the grocery store is KFC has different cuts, as in they require the portions be split differently. KFC buys local chicken. I know this via KFC franchisees.
  • Matt R. likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#6453 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 25 November 2020 - 10:12 PM

Cross-post from the marijuana thread:

Council in CoV voted against allowing a government-run dispensary to open on the Fort St side of the Bay Centre: https://vancouverisl...ation-1.5204984

#6454 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,035 posts

Posted 25 November 2020 - 11:27 PM

there is one older saleswoman in there that is RELENTLESS about you signing up for the card. she pretty much calls you a fool if you decline her persistent offers.

I wonder if that’s the same one that wouldn’t measure my son’s inseam when he was getting new dress pants.

Matt.

#6455 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,035 posts

Posted 25 November 2020 - 11:28 PM

The only difference between KFC’s chicken and the cuts at the grocery store is KFC has different cuts, as in they require the portions be split differently. KFC buys local chicken. I know this via KFC franchisees.

The nine cut.

Matt.
  • Mike K. likes this

#6456 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 26 November 2020 - 12:24 AM

I’ve never had a more uncomfortable retail interaction than with that woman. I must have said no about 5 times. I was buying a $5 luggage tag.

You bought a luggage tag? Don't they come free with every piece of luggage? 

#6457 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 26 November 2020 - 12:27 AM

The nine cut.

Matt.

What ? Please explain.

#6458 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,035 posts

Posted 26 November 2020 - 12:30 AM

What ? Please explain.

Chicken is cut into nine, not usual eight. Breast is cut into three - horizontally at the top third then remainder is split like normal.

Matt.

#6459 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 26 November 2020 - 12:50 AM

Weird thing to be talking about this late at night/early in the morning but are there different ways to cut up a chicken? And I rarely eat KFC but the few times I have, pieces I ordered were much smaller than you would get at a grocery.

Also starting to think this would make a great expose video.

Todd/octopus/fellow OB resident - there probably is already one out there?

#6460 FogPub

FogPub
  • 981 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 26 November 2020 - 01:01 AM

We went to Oxford several times a week. Have been scoping out other places. Our grocery bill will rise substantially with them gone. Also had to drive to Oak Bay to use the RBC ATM. And please don't say we don't need cash. Neither my hairdresser nor other personal care lady accepts credit cards, same as a couple of other small businesses I've been to. Cash or cheque only. 

When we were in Oxford last time I asked the fellow where they got their chicken. He said Lilydale, but another customer and I commented that Oxford chicken was by far the most tender and best priced in town and that other store's Lilydale chicken wasn't the same. Really sad they're gone. 

FYI there's a RBC ATM at London Drugs on Yates, which is probably a bit closer to you than the one in Oak Bay.  It's just inside the store doors, on the right.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users