Victoria retail thread: retailer news, comings and goings

• Please log in to reply
8289 replies to this topic

#6461 FogPub

FogPub
  • 981 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 26 November 2020 - 01:06 AM

The Bay has been a miserable shopping experience in the last couple years. Feels like a graveyard in there. God forbid if you need the assistance of staff - if you’re lucky enough to find a sales associate, all they care about is getting you to sign up for an HBC credit card.

Probably because they get reported and reviewed each month (or each week, or even each day!) on how many card applications they've procured, and the lowest scorers get a disciplinary write-up.  Meanwhile the highest scorers probably get some sort of prize or bonus or spiff.

The same would apply at the store level, with management getting the write-up or the bonus.

#6462 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 26 November 2020 - 02:17 AM

Oh - this is why I so much hated working for a chain retail store many years ago. They don't exist anymore. But they did introduce me to good shoes. My old feet thank them for that.

#6463 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,938 posts

Posted 26 November 2020 - 03:02 AM

oh there is no doubt there is some type of reward or bonus for card signups. nobody could be that aggressive without reward.

#6464 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 26 November 2020 - 03:28 AM

Especially if you are making minimum wage or just slightly above it. Yeah I didn't do well at that shoe job but I do very appreciate that they introduced me to good shoes as I'm a very big walker. I do have cheap "fun shoes" that I used to go dancing in. But where can you do that anymore?

So a month or so ago , I bought myself a new pair of New Balance walking shoes which are about 10x more expensive than the fun silly cheap sneakers. Yeah covid. 

#6465 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 26 November 2020 - 08:20 AM

In the thirty-five years we bought chicken from Oxford, we never had a bad experience. It was far more tender than Thriftys. 

Reading the Reddit thread about Oxford. Of 96 comments, only about 2 thought Root Cellar was a good idea. 

#6466 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 26 November 2020 - 08:32 AM

I wish they'd shut off the stadium lighting Oxford has on outside.  It's very bright on my evening walks past. :D

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#6467 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,023 posts

Posted 26 November 2020 - 09:43 AM

Weird thing to be talking about this late at night/early in the morning but are there different ways to cut up a chicken? And I rarely eat KFC but the few times I have, pieces I ordered were much smaller than you would get at a grocery.

Also starting to think this would make a great expose video.

Todd/octopus/fellow OB resident - there probably is already one out there?

I guess there are a few ways. Spatchcocked, the aforementioned nine cut, regular 8, breast with the wing joint on. Are there more?

I’m sure KFC just gets chicken of a specific size to ensure consistency.

Island Farmhouse is great, Rossdown Farms also produces a superior product.

Matt.

#6468 johnk2

johnk2
  • 209 posts

Posted 26 November 2020 - 10:39 AM

Maybe that’s a reason to actually buy Lilydale. The crappier cuts go to kfc. The choicest to restaurants and middle stuff to grocery stores...

If the chickens are industrial grade, raised on junk to maximize growth and minimize cost, then there are no choice cuts. Its all the same bird that likely never saw the sky or walked around.

#6469 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,023 posts

Posted 26 November 2020 - 10:41 AM

If the chickens are industrial grade, raised on junk to maximize growth and minimize cost, then there are no choice cuts. Its all the same bird that likely never saw the sky or walked around.

All meat birds in Canada are cage free.

Matt.

#6470 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 26 November 2020 - 11:15 AM

All meat birds in Canada are cage free.

Matt.

Really? That is cool to know. 

• Matt R. and A Girl is No one like this

#6471 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 26 November 2020 - 11:49 AM

HBC at Coquitlam Centre is closing

#6472 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,938 posts

Posted 26 November 2020 - 12:09 PM

didn’t it just reopen?

https://dailyhive.co...ecision-reopens

#6473 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 26 November 2020 - 12:46 PM

Matt: I think my dad cut the chicken into 134 parts when he got pissed and shoved it into the wood chipper. Cant honestly say that anyone actually counted the parts.

• Matt R. likes this

#6474 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 26 November 2020 - 12:46 PM

didn’t it just reopen?

https://dailyhive.co...ecision-reopens

Oops guess I'm a week behind

• vortoozo likes this

#6475 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,510 posts

Posted 26 November 2020 - 12:51 PM

You've watched a few too many PETA videos about KFC  :rtfm:

Their chicken is no different than what you buy at the grocery storey, or what is delivered to your favourite local restaurant.

• Matt R. and Redd42 like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#6476 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,510 posts

Posted 26 November 2020 - 12:51 PM

Did we know the gym next to the Yates Street Canada Post office closed? The space is listed for lease.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#6477 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 26 November 2020 - 01:39 PM

I suspect that a lot of small businesses are just trying to hold on through Christmas.

• Redd42 likes this

#6478 kayla

kayla
  • 52 posts

Posted 26 November 2020 - 01:46 PM

Did we know the gym next to the Yates Street Canada Post office closed? The space is listed for lease.

Studio 4 had two spaces, the bottom where you can use it for personal training and then upstairs where the rest of the equipment is for drop-ins/classes. I believe they only shut down the bottom portion.

• Mike K. likes this

#6479 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 26 November 2020 - 08:57 PM

I suspect that a lot of small businesses are just trying to hold on through Christmas.

And I've already said we are done before xmas. The retail / restaurant landscape will look very different in 2021.

#6480 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,938 posts

Posted 27 November 2020 - 06:29 AM

This is backed up by Deloitte and Touche’s Holiday Retail Outlook, which said the pandemic has shifted the way we shop.“Canadian consumers love Amazon,” it concluded. “For many, it’s where the shopping journey begins — and ends. With just 53 per cent of consumers likely to head to stores to research and buy holiday gifts and other items this year (down from 69 per cent in 2019), Amazon has dethroned the store as the kickoff point for Canadians’ shopping journey.”

https://www.timescol...iday-1.24246456

I did it myself last night. bought a few Christmas gifts online and arranged shipping directly to the recipients. easy.
  • Matt R. likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users