* * * * - 3 votes

Victoria retail thread: retailer news, comings and goings

• Please log in to reply
8261 replies to this topic

#6881 Belleprincess

Belleprincess
  • 655 posts

Posted 28 May 2021 - 11:54 AM

Belle: Wouldn’t the DVBA’s role be to advocate for downtown businesses as a whole to avoid the kind of SJW bullying you refer to?

Jeff bray is great, he’s a heck of a lot better than people we’ve had in the past. However, there’s only so much he can do. When I’ve spoken out, I’ve experienced doxxing, people showing up to my work, angry and disturbing messages. It’s a little unnerving. So, I don’t really blame people for staying quiet. Three things need to happen 1) we need a new mayor & council 2) judges need to start finding solutions for violent reoffenders 3) the province needs to step up to find solutions for mentally unwell & addicted. We need support from our community.
  • Barrrister likes this

#6882 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,313 posts

Posted 28 May 2021 - 12:09 PM

We need support from our community.

what does this mean?

#6883 Belleprincess

Belleprincess
  • 655 posts

Posted 28 May 2021 - 12:16 PM

what does this mean?

We need our community to support us (downtown.) otherwise, most of us won’t survive. If people don’t want to come downtown, there’s other options like online.

Edited by Belleprincess, 28 May 2021 - 12:18 PM.

#6884 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,313 posts

Posted 28 May 2021 - 12:21 PM

We need our community to support us (downtown.) otherwise, most of us won’t survive. If people don’t want to come downtown, there’s other options like online.

oh, I see.  You need consumer dollars support.  very good.   :thumbsup:

#6885 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 28 May 2021 - 12:57 PM

Jeff bray is great, he’s a heck of a lot better than people we’ve had in the past. However, there’s only so much he can do. When I’ve spoken out, I’ve experienced doxxing, people showing up to my work, angry and disturbing messages. It’s a little unnerving. So, I don’t really blame people for staying quiet. Three things need to happen 1) we need a new mayor & council 2) judges need to start finding solutions for violent reoffenders 3) the province needs to step up to find solutions for mentally unwell & addicted. We need support from our community.

I don't live or work downtown but I shop there every week.  I shop weekly at the Market on Yates and every other week I go to London Drugs, and I've never felt unsafe in Harris Green Village.  I also frequent various businesses in the Old Town area like Munro Books, Shoppers Drug Mart, and DG Bremner's, and I never feel unsafe or threatened anytime I'm downtown.  I like to patronize other downtown businesses on occasion as well (like Russell Books, The Bay, and the Papery) and I just find that the downtown area of our city has a wonderful mix of local and national retailers with the added advantage of being able to peruse places before or after a meal or a stop at an espresso bar.  The pandemic and social issues have certainly impacted downtown businesses, but I think things are actually going to get better in the near future.  The addition of thousands of new downtown residents will create more 'eyes on the street' and help to rein in some of the public disorder, and I actually anticipate that quite a few workers will be returning to downtown offices by the end of summer.

• zoomer, Rob Randall, Greg and 3 others like this

#6886 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 28 May 2021 - 12:59 PM

Apologies if this is a re-post, but Peninsula Co-Op acquired the Liquor Depots in Langford and Saanich (Blanshard St) and will be re-branding these stores to Co-Op later this year.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#6887 Belleprincess

Belleprincess
  • 655 posts

Posted 28 May 2021 - 01:10 PM

I don't live or work downtown but I shop there every week. I shop weekly at the Market on Yates and every other week I go to London Drugs, and I've never felt unsafe in Harris Green Village. I also frequent various businesses in the Old Town area like Munro Books, Shoppers Drug Mart, and DG Bremner's, and I never feel unsafe or threatened anytime I'm downtown. I like to patronize other downtown businesses on occasion as well (like Russell Books, The Bay, and the Papery) and I just find that the downtown area of our city has a wonderful mix of local and national retailers with the added advantage of being able to peruse places before or after a meal or a stop at an espresso bar. The pandemic and social issues have certainly impacted downtown businesses, but I think things are actually going to get better in the near future. The addition of thousands of new downtown residents will create more 'eyes on the street' and help to rein in some of the public disorder, and I actually anticipate that quite a few workers will be returning to downtown offices by the end of summer.

Thank you for this hopeful message. And yes, we are hoping that things turn around. Having people back to work will definitely increase the vibrancy of our city.
  • Kapten Kapsell and Hotel Mike like this

#6888 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,861 posts

Posted 28 May 2021 - 04:49 PM

When we visited a huge flea market area in Paris known for loads of pickpockets, the only thing that made us feel safe were groups of police, like three or four in a group like they do in Paris, wandering around. I'm all for that. I'm sure Isitt would feel oppressed. He wouldn't like Paris.

We were in Paris just a short while after the Bataclan attack, full military patrols in groups of six with automatic weapons, and we never felt safer haha.

Matt.
  • mbjj, Victoria Watcher and VIResident like this

#6889 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,313 posts

Posted 31 May 2021 - 06:17 AM

national story about furniture tariffs.

https://www.cbc.ca/n...riffs-1.6043863

with local angle (dodds furniture).

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 31 May 2021 - 06:18 AM.

#6890 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 31 May 2021 - 01:35 PM

We were in Paris just a short while after the Bataclan attack, full military patrols in groups of six with automatic weapons, and we never felt safer haha.

Matt.

Yes, same around the big sites like the Louvre (have a pic of the military there) and the Eiffel Tower, which I think may have some sort of plexi-glass fence around the base? 

#6891 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 31 May 2021 - 02:03 PM

^Yep, these guys I saw in places:

https://vibrantvicto...anity/?p=488150

• Matt R. likes this

#6892 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 31 May 2021 - 02:08 PM

Note how the guys are looking at the soldiers, thinking "we really shouldn't be here."

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#6893 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 31 May 2021 - 02:19 PM

Those guys pass by and you're on your best behaviour,  They're not the Save-On-Foods rent-a-cops we see every day. I guess it makes you feel safer although you do consider there's a reason why they're needed.

• Matt R. likes this

#6894 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,861 posts

Posted 31 May 2021 - 06:30 PM

Yes, same around the big sites like the Louvre (have a pic of the military there) and the Eiffel Tower, which I think may have some sort of plexi-glass fence around the base?

They were absolutely everywhere when we visited Paris last. Metro, grocery stores, markets, everywhere.

We were in the south west of France more recently, driving around Cognac and our host pulled over and told us to shush so he could listen to the radio.. there was a carjacking and shooting in and around a grocery store in and around Carcasonne, where we were headed the next day. We arrived and again, gendarmes travelling in groups keeping a lid on things. Someone pulled a fire alarm as a prank, and a variety of things happened in very quick succession. We found ourselves trapped in a candy store behind the walls of the city, locked down.

Certainly not your average save on foods rent a cop. Serious business.

Matt.

Edited by Matt R., 31 May 2021 - 06:37 PM.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#6895 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 01 June 2021 - 07:01 AM

Safety is only one issue since being yelled at by some druggie is just disturbing and unpleasant particularly for a a woman. Sitting and having a coffee at the Oak Bay marine is just a much more relaxing experience. 

We used to eat at downtown restaurants three times a week but we stopped doing that even before Covid. 

• A Girl is No one and Victoria Watcher like this

#6896 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,313 posts

Posted 01 June 2021 - 08:50 AM

877318_1.jpg

Built in 1913. Zoned OTD 1 site specific Old Town District 1 including; retail, food and beverage service, brewpub, liquor store, financial service, studio among numerous other permitted uses. The original downtown. Buildings in the area are primarily original brick structures, most constructed in the 1890-1920 period. Most have been upgraded for current use as retail and office space. Part of the multi-faceted Market square; an iconic commercial district where buildings surround a large public square that captures the heritage essence of old town Victoria.

Upgraded and converted to strata in 1984.

Main floor 935sq ft and the basement is 691sq ft for a total of 1,626sq ft. Three bathrooms; one on the main and two in the basement, previously used as a restaurant. Existing hood vents, laundry hook up's. Main floor ceiling height is almost 13ft tall, with the basement being 8ft tall. Original ceramic tile floors, wood panelling. 600 AMPs.

https://www.realtor....ctoria-downtown

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 01 June 2021 - 08:51 AM.

#6897 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 01 June 2021 - 09:08 AM

That is a very strangely written listing. It is not at all clear what is for sale.

#6898 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,313 posts

Posted 01 June 2021 - 09:13 AM

one corner of market square i guess.  

#6899 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 01 June 2021 - 09:46 AM

^Isn't the whole block owned by Anthem? Are you buying the business? A strata lot? The remaining lease? The business contents? Who knows! Certainly not the Realtor earning $50,000 on this listing!

• Redd42 likes this

#6900 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,313 posts

Posted 01 June 2021 - 09:50 AM

the strata lot. That was carved out in 1984.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

8 user(s) are reading this topic

2 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users

Google (1), kayla, 2000larry