• Please log in to reply
8289 replies to this topic

#7461 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,852 posts

Posted 17 August 2022 - 10:20 PM

Store closure highlights retail shift to e-commerce

Longtime Vancouver cookware store owners Jed and Regan Grieve plan to close their Cook Culture store at 377 Howe Street at the end of August, and shift to e-commerce sales.

The duo's bricks-and-mortar store in Victoria will stay open for now. 

Their move out of a physical footprint in Vancouver comes as retail executives across the sector strategize and try to determine how much capital to allot to bricks-and-mortar operations compared with digital ones.

Even retail executives whose ventures are entirely online have found themselves grappling with hard decisions. Vancouver-based e-commerce furniture seller Article earlier this month laid off 216 employees, or 17 per cent of its workforce.

CEO Aamir Baig said at the time that he overestimated how much the consumer shift to online shopping during the pandemic would persist post-pandemic, and that his workforce wound up being larger than he could justify.

Jed Grieve told BIV that he and his wife wanted to close their store to focus on online sales because that channel is where their revenue growth has been.

The duo's YouTube channel has about 20,500 subscribers and they blast a corporate newsletter to approximately 30,000 email accounts.

https://www.timescol...ommerce-5710594

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 17 August 2022 - 10:21 PM.

#7462 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,852 posts

Posted 25 August 2022 - 11:06 AM

Friends and patrons of a Saanich shop are mourning more than one loss after the death of an inspiring entrepreneur.

Amanda (Mandy) Welch died Aug. 23, one day after baby Rachelle Daisy Green-Welch, according to social media accounts for her business.

“We thought we were having a baby, but instead we had an angel. I’m sure you had to leave us as well, to go take care of our little angel baby girl,” reads a tribute attributed to her husband, Daniel Welch.

“You were the most incredible, talented, breathtakingly beautiful woman and the impact you had on so many people was astounding … The accomplishments you made in such a short time is spectacular, but you’ve left us too soon.”

https://www.vicnews....r-and-her-baby/

Strange article.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 25 August 2022 - 11:07 AM.

#7463 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 01 September 2022 - 08:59 AM

Choux Choux Charcuterie, which rebranded not that long ago (after its sale) to Bull & Sons Delicatessen, has closed its 800-block of Fort location and relocated to Sooke. It's now operating on Pyrite Drive at Rhodonite Drive, 9-5.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#7464 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 01 September 2022 - 09:04 AM

Not so long ago, I loved going to Choux Choux for their specialty items, but I can certainly understand why a deli in this location would want to leave the current version of Victoria. How any business continues to operate in the ****hole downtown has become astonishes me.

• Barrrister likes this

#7465 gstc84

gstc84
  • 521 posts

Posted 01 September 2022 - 09:44 AM

I also used to love Choux Choux. Not sure if new owners took over when they rebranded, but service and quality both seemed to go downhill, and I stopped going after seeing the owner replying to all negative online reviews with profanity-laden insults to their clientele. I also admit I won't miss the smells wafting up into my condo from here.

I look forward to seeing what opens up in the space next - I'd also be thrilled if Refuge Tap Room next door could take over the space and double in size. 

#7466 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,852 posts

Posted 02 September 2022 - 10:33 AM

A new Indigenous bookstore is opening in Langford, with the goal of providing a safe space for Indigenous writers to share their stories and for those with questions to learn.

Teddy Anderson (Yeií S’aghi), who has been adopted into the Tlingit community, started Medicine Wheel Publishing six years ago.

https://www.vicnews....ng-and-sharing/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 02 September 2022 - 10:33 AM.

#7467 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 02 September 2022 - 09:50 PM

Folks on the Oak Bay FB are losing their minds because a vape store will be opening right in the OB village.....

• Matt R. likes this

#7468 Belleprincess

Belleprincess
  • 658 posts

Posted 03 September 2022 - 05:46 PM

Folks on the Oak Bay FB are losing their minds because a vape store will be opening right in the OB village.....

Oh gawd. No low income housing, no vape shops.. they need to calm down. In the interim, I’ll pray a cannabis shop opens there instead

#7469 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 03 September 2022 - 06:34 PM

Very cute and nobody cares about a vape shop. But there is a rumor that a high end jeweler might be moving to Oak Bay. Anyone has any details?

#7470 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 03 September 2022 - 08:58 PM

Isn't there one there already? A high end jeweller....Or is the one that is already there not considered "high end"?

#7471 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,014 posts

Posted 06 September 2022 - 09:40 PM

Heading off to the Matterhorn in a couple of weeks, so took a rip into Robinson’s for some better technical gear, and holy cow what awesome service. Over the years the campers in my family (not me) have forked over some decent cash at this place and now I understand why.

One of the owners helped me out, and went over all the options in all the price points, discussed in some detail what my plans are and set me on the right path. At one point, when they didn’t have the colour in a certain garment, she suggested I might find what I want at the Arc’teryx store down the street. Who does that!

A1 customer service.
  • gstc84, A Girl is No one and FogPub like this

#7472 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,852 posts

Posted 13 September 2022 - 03:45 AM

Theatre SKAM is appealing to the public for assistance to secure a property that would add a much-needed arts programming hub in the downtown core.

The local theatre company is reportedly deep in talks to purchase what would eventually become a shared arts space, featuring a small theatre, cafe, offices, and rehearsal rooms. Though it has a conditional offer in place to purchase the former Tomley Market at 716 Johnson St., currently home to RainoDance, Theatre SKAM made an public appeal Monday to help on its final stage of financing.

https://www.timescol...rts-hub-5812319

Theatre SKAM is seeking a tenant to lease the space for the 18-20 months it would take to close the deal and renovate. A donor who could cover the approximately $300,000 in operating costs during that same time period would also be considered, the company said.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 13 September 2022 - 03:46 AM.

#7473 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 13 September 2022 - 04:17 AM

Kind of an unfortunate name for seeking real-estate funding :)
  • Nparker and Teardrop like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#7474 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,852 posts

Posted 13 September 2022 - 04:45 AM

A Plus Beads--The name tells ALL and beyond!! Located in the popular Quadra Village, this unique retail store is sure a hidden gem but well-known to the Beads community. The store offers beads, beading supplies, gemstones, crystals, Jewelleries, Charms, Stones, and a LARGE collection of Wigs. You name a colour of wig, they have it here!! In addition to retail, it offers custom jewellery, repairs, free lessons, and workshop. This business has been established by the owner for nearly 10 years and now ready to retire!! If you're wanting to be your own boss and have flexible hours, this profit business will be your dream comes true. 

$139,000

https://www.realtor....ctoria-hillside

914260_3.jpg

Well-known to the "Beads community" eh?

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 13 September 2022 - 04:48 AM.

#7475 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 13 September 2022 - 05:38 AM

Beads and wigs, the PB&J of retail.
  • Victoria Watcher likes this

#7476 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,852 posts

Posted 15 September 2022 - 04:10 AM

Yvon Chouinard, the billionaire founder of outdoor apparel brand Patagonia, said on Wednesday he is giving away the company to a trust that will use its profit to fight the climate crisis.

Instead of selling the company or taking it public, Chouinard, who became famous for alpine climbs in Yosemite National Park and has a net worth of $1.2 billion US, is transferring his family's ownership of the company to a trust and a non-profit organization.

https://www.cbc.ca/n...risis-1.6583492

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 15 September 2022 - 04:10 AM.

• Matt R. likes this

#7477 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 20 September 2022 - 08:58 PM

It's refreshing to see someone with $ actually put their own money towards what they preach.

#7478 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,852 posts

Posted 23 September 2022 - 12:19 AM

The largest Canadian Tire store in Canada is now open at Ottawa's Carlingwood Shopping Centre.

As Canadian Tire celebrates its 100th birthday this month, the company opened a 135,000 sq. ft. store in the location of the former Sears store at the mall on Carling Avenue.

Billed as a "Remarkable Retail" Canadian Tire location, the store includes a six-car Customer Pick Up canopy area for customers to Click and Collect their online purchases, a Garden Centre, and an auto service department with an auto-lounge and upscale tire wall.

https://www.iheartra...tawa-1.18525728

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 23 September 2022 - 12:19 AM.

#7479 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 27 September 2022 - 02:27 PM

English eyewear chain SpecSavers has opened its second location in the region at Hillside Mall (Canadian Tire wing in the former dollar store space there).

• Nparker likes this

#7480 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 29 September 2022 - 07:28 AM

Cherry Bomb Toys- and the nonprofit Toy Museum- have lost their lease and are looking for a new space downtown:  https://www.cheknews...inates-1097957/

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users